Professor Layton Getting Makeover for 3DS Debut

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009

The iconic Professor Layton suit and hat might be kicked to the curb when the character goes 3D.

One of my favorite parts of the Professor Layton [http://www.amazon.com/Professor-Layton-Unwound-Future-Nintendo-DS/dp/B003O6E7DI] series is getting to play as a distinguished gentleman wearing a smart suit and a fashionable but excessively large top hat. That's why I'm so sad to find out that the Professor might be getting a makeover in his upcoming 3DS title, according to developer Level-5.

Level-5 president Akihiro Hino spoke to Joystiq primarily about Professor Layton's worldwide popularity, and how its development practices have changed to reflect that. Puzzles once developed specifically using Japanese characters or references are being reduced in favor of those that won't have to be cut for the rest of the world.

But the biggest piece of news to me concerned Professor Layton: The Mask of Miracle, Level-5's first Nintendo 3DS game and the fifth in the Professor Layton series. "[Mask of Miracle] has really undergone some major changes as we've come to understand the capabilities of the Nintendo 3DS," Hino said. "Even Professor Layton's appearance is changing quite a bit, but you'll have to wait and see what I mean!"

Mask of Miracle images from E3 2010 showed the exact same Professor Layton we've come to know and love, so either the puzzle-solver makes a change mid-game or Level-5 wasn't ready to show off his new looks yet. The question is: What kind of changes will Level-5 make?

Will Professor Layton simply be able to swap suits and hats by earning enough puzzle coins, or will he get a complete makeover DmC style [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103525-TGS-10-Devil-May-Cry-Getting-Reboot-Face-Lift]? You know, as much fun as it is solving puzzles as a gentleman, it might be even better solving them as a gun-toting, tattooed, emo bad-ass. Perhaps Layton has a mid-life crisis and Luke has to comb his hair and bring him back to his gentlemanly self, after which they both laugh about it over tea and, of course, a puzzle.

In 3D.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/27/level-5-president-on-making-a-better-professor-layton-for-americ/]

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Let's hope they won't try to subdue their own Japanese style for a broader audience. I loved the character design for the previous titles.

I can understand cutting down on Japanese riddles since they can't be translated, but anything other than that would probably hurt the athmosphere of the title. Sucks for Japanese gamers, the Japanese riddles that use their writing characters are probably awesome, since the languagee is so well adapted for play on words and cross-character meanings (or so I'm told).

TLatshaw

Aug 30, 2010
Don't touch the hat.

It seems kind of sad to sacrifice some of the more Japanese puzzles for broader audiences. The translations and changes made when localizing seem to work quite well, although we never know exactly what we may be missing.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I'm nervous. Extremely nervous. But let's hope this change is for the best. I'm excited for this game and the 3DS but if they mess him up... I'm never playing another Level 5 game again.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Someone photoshop a mockup of Professor Layton as New Dante... Please? At the very least, if the change is disappointing, we can have a fallback to say "at least he doesn't look like this!"

I remain interested in the new game, and even more interested in the 3DS. I'm most interested, though, to see if they can keep it to a 125-175 price point. I'm quite curious to see if the technology is made easily enough that this is viable, because if not I won't be getting it for a bit longer.

Lissa-QUON

Jun 22, 2009
hah, for some reason I'm inclined to joke that they are going to give the man goggles to wear with his sweet top hat. Then again I'm in a steam punk mood right now.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
5th in the series? Wait...did I miss one? Village, Box, Future...

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
CK76 said:
5th in the series? Wait...did I miss one? Village, Box, Future...
When it comes to Layton, the West is far far behind the East. Forget the title, but there was an article here several months ago mentioning that the fourth game would feature a 100+ hour RPG with it.

Apr 28, 2008
I don't want him to look more "westernized".

I love these games because they're unique, charming, and interesting. "Westernizing" it will make it lose what I love most about it.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
coldfrog said:
Someone photoshop a mockup of Professor Layton as New Dante... Please?
Great Idea. I had to do it. Here's the new Layton including British flag and everything!

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Irridium said:

I love these games because they're unique, charming, and interesting. "Westernizing" it will make it lose what I love most about it.

Apr 28, 2008
Brotherofwill said:
Irridium said:

Well that looks pretty interesting actually. Definitely a "WTF?" picture, makes me wonder about the character, his habits, tendencies, ect. And I may buy the game just to find out what the deal is with this messed up person.

Of course it could just be my sleep deprived mind that finds it interesting.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
coldfrog said:
Someone photoshop a mockup of Professor Layton as New Dante... Please? At the very least, if the change is disappointing, we can have a fallback to say "at least he doesn't look like this!"
I like that idea. First, so I can say "Thank God he doesn't look like that!" Second, because it's funny.

I certainly hope they change it for the better. I mean, Layton looked basic, but that's what made him look just fine. If they give him more detail, like the assault rifle from Halo 3 to Reach, I think that will be okay. Just don't touch the hat.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Brotherofwill said:
coldfrog said:
Great Idea. I had to do it. Here's the new Layton including British flag and everything!

That is hilarious. They're most likely not going to, but, I will be SHOCKED if that's actually how it's gonna turn out. I'd be a little scared, but mostly for Luke. Could you imagine being Luke with the professor looking like THAT?

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Brotherofwill said:
coldfrog said:

I think "perfect" is an understatement here.

I doubt they'll try to make the Professor "cool" or anything; he'll probably just wear a tuxedo or something.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Tom Goldman said:

The iconic Professor Layton suit and hat might be kicked to the curb when the character goes 3D.

Will Professor Layton simply be able to swap suits and hats by earning enough puzzle coins, or will he get a complete makeover DmC style [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103525-TGS-10-Devil-May-Cry-Getting-Reboot-Face-Lift]? You know, as much fun as it is solving puzzles as a gentleman, it might be even better solving them as a gun-toting, tattooed, emo bad-ass. Perhaps Layton has a mid-life crisis and Luke has to comb his hair and bring him back to his gentlemanly self, after which they both laugh about it over tea and, of course, a puzzle.

In 3D.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/27/level-5-president-on-making-a-better-professor-layton-for-americ/]

On a train. While travelling through time. While also fighting Cthulu in giant mechs.

In 3D.

They've actually done two of those things... I'll let you determine which two.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Must... resist... urge... to Photoshop...

Have to roast a turkey today. Can't get drawn in.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Timbydude said:
Brotherofwill said:
coldfrog said:

I think "perfect" is an understatement here.

I doubt they'll try to make the Professor "cool" or anything; he'll probably just wear a tuxedo or something.
Thats is fantastic...heh.

Seriously though, why did he need a re-design! He was perfect as he was and if they really go away and change it drastically...

/sigh

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
ProfessorLayton said:
I'm nervous. Extremely nervous. But let's hope this change is for the best. I'm excited for this game and the 3DS but if they mess him up... I'm never playing another Level 5 game again.
Relax. They aren't outsourcing development to another game company. This is their series, they know what they are doing. He'll probably just be rendered in polygons now.