Second Star Trek MMO Beaming Down Next Summer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Second Star Trek MMO Beaming Down Next Summer

Starting next year, Star Trek fans will be able to explore strange new world, seek out new life and new civilizations, and then boldly go to Quark's for a drink.

German publisher Gameforge has announced a free-to-play, browser based MMO called Star Trek: Infinite Space, based on Star Trek spin-off Deep Space Nine. Keen Games, whose previous work includes Nintendo Wii and DS versions of the Secret Files games, is developing the game, which is scheduled to be released in the summer of 2011.

Gameforge said that it chose Keen because the developer had a "strong history of making outstanding games." Keen's creative director Antony Christoulakis said that he was excited to be working on the game, as Star Trek was a franchise that every sci-fi fan would love to be a part of. Infinite Space will apparently offer an "immersive experience" and a "gripping story," and Christoulakis said that the game would make fans proud.

Also working on the project are Michael Okuda, who worked as the scenic art supervisor for the various Star Trek TV shows, and his wife Denise, who worked as a scenic artist and video supervisor. Michael Okuda was also a consultant on Star Trek Online and the pair wrote the Star Trek Encyclopedia, one of the foremost reference books about the Star Trek world.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-28-star-trek-ds9-mmo-revealed] and Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30659/Gameforge_Reveals_Star_Trek_Infinite_Space_FreeToPlay_Browser_Game.php]

Front Row

Jan 23, 2009
Gameforge and free-to-play ?

LOL !
Never !

It will be another crappy Browsergame where you can buy skill with cash.

Gameforge is filled with retards.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Browser... yeah, passing, too. I've never found a browser game I enjoyed, even among the ones were genuinely trying - instead of just another cash-in.

And I tried a good few at that o.o

Plus, aren't browsergame players Not a significant portion of the Startrek fanbase? >.>

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Why would they make an MMO out of the most boring series of Star Trek ever? DS9 even made war boring!

Druyn

May 6, 2010
Why... Why would they do this? Why would the deliberately split the fan base in half, when they obviously can't afford it?

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
Disaster Button said:
Why would they make an MMO out of the most boring series of Star Trek ever? DS9 even made war boring!
BAH! I loved the battle scenes in DS9!

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Kuliani said:
Disaster Button said:
BAH! I loved the battle scenes in DS9!

Ok fine, that was pretty damn cool.

But I still don't think it competes with The Year of Hell scene from Voyager.

Or this