Nintendo 3DS Coming in 2011 With $300 Price Tag

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Nintendo 3DS Coming in 2011 With $300 Price Tag

Nintendo's 3DS press conference has revealed its official release date and new features, but hopes of seeing 3D in 2010 have been dashed.

The mysterious Nintendo 3DS remains mysterious no longer. Nintendo held a press conference in Japan today where it unveiled the handheld's Japanese release date, pricing, and a few new features.

The Nintendo 3DS will be released in Japan on February 26, 2011 for ¥25,000 (about $300) in Aqua Blue and Cosmo Black, and it'll come with a 2GB SD card. This means that rumors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103413-Rumor-3DS-Release-Date-Tweeted-By-Accessory-Designer] saying the 3DS would be released in Japan this year, and possibly even in North America this year, are unfortunately false. In North America and Europe, the handheld will be released in March 2011.

Nintendo announced that Miis are coming to the 3DS through its new Mii Studio. Users can take pictures of themselves to use as a template for creating Miis, which works sort of like tracing apparently. Miis can be converted into a QR code, put on an SD card, and then displayed other places such as a website and scanned by the 3DS so they can be shared. The 3DS will constantly be "Wi-Fi aware," and can download Mii data from other users even in sleep mode from Wi-Fi hotspots or other handhelds through an enhanced Tag mode.

This Wi-Fi awareness isn't limited to Mii data though, and can also be used to download updates or game data such as rankings, racing ghost times, or Street Fighter IV 3DS fight requests (revealed by Capcom's Yoshinori Ono). Another new functionality added to the 3DS is the ability to pause a game to multitask, perhaps switching to the web browser or camera, after which players can jump right back into their games. Some of the other applications were called "Memory Notebook" and "Number of Steps," leading to the possibility of an included pedometer.

Something fans have been clamoring for is the addition of a Virtual Console-like store on the DSi, and Nintendo is going to be adding it on the 3DS with a store for Game Boy and Game Boy Advance games. It'll also allow users to download "classic games" that can be played in 3D. Even further, Nintendo revealed that a handful of augmented reality games will be included with the 3DS hardware; stuff like this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94170-Hunt-Ghosts-in-Real-Life-With-Ghostwire-and-the-DSi] basically. According to Joystiq, the 3DS will allow players to transfer their downloaded games between handhelds, though these transfers may be limited, but that's better than the zero transfers gamers are given with the DSi now.

That's basically all Nintendo had to reveal, but at least the release date speculation can end. DS owners will have to be content with two dimensions for 2010, but the revolution of glasses-free 3D will begin in early 2011.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.1up.com/news/3ds-coming-united-states-europe-march]
Image via 1up [http://www.1up.com/news/3ds-final-design-revealed]

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
GBA/GB virtual console just cemented the deal for me. Now if only I had more cash handy.... ><

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Personally, I am still worried about region-locking. The fact that they didn't talk about it at all makes it even more likely that there will be a region lockout mechanism. Afterall, if they didn't intend to region lock it, why keep it a secret?

Anyway, I will wait and see what the European price will be and whether or not it really will be region locked. If the above ends up being the case, then I probably won't buy one, beacuse that is a steep price for a system that utilises something as backwards and primitive as region locking...

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
300 dollars?

Yeah that isn't happening. I predict a 400 dollar AU tag on that easily. No 3DS for me I guess.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
$300 sounds like a reasonable price, considering HOW MUCH I WANT THIS THING.

Too bad that we won't see it until 2011, though; I'd been hoping to play mine by Christmas.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Timbydude said:
That is never a good reason to overprice something. :mad:

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
ill get this once the 3ds xl comes out, or whatever "improved" version they release once its been on the market for a few years.

....actually probably not even then. i dont play portable games very much, so its hard for me to justify paying over $150

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Zing said:
Timbydude said:
But you overlook one important fact:

The 3DS is magic. In handheld form.

Is it really possible to overprice magic?

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Timbydude said:
Zing said:
Timbydude said:
But you overlook one important fact:

The 3DS is magic. In handheld form.

Is it really possible to overprice magic?
Guess that's easier for Americans to say..you can bet the price to be jacked up ridiculously in Australia even though our dollar is doing extremely well and is almost level with the US dollar.

Still I think $300 dollars is bs, but I definitely wouldn't pay anymore then that.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Wow, I think I'll save up for one of these then (well, what really sold it for me was remembering that there's Street Fighter IV for it, and there'll be Saints Row for it aswell)

prefectimo

Feb 4, 2009
&nbsp&nbsp Since the end of the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox era I have stuck to my DS for gaming, and now DS Lite. This is the next console I will be buying and I am pretty sure I will be content with it.

&nbsp&nbsp Some might find the price tag a bit steep, given that it costs as much as the Wii, but when you look at it in terms of it's performace being near equal to the GCN and Wii and it's size being handheld, I believe it is priced well or too cheap. That said I was going to be buying one even if it cost $500 - 600 AUD.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, dosnt somewat surprise me - Npot a bad thing though, means I can enjoy my XL for a little longer!

I am looking forward to the pokemon on it thats for sure!

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
As cool and as innovative the 3DS sounds, I don't think $300 is a price I'm willing to spend on it. Most of my game money goes to getting console games moreso than to my DS, so it's a little high for me. I'll get one, but I won't get one at launch.

At least the launch list sounds impressive.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'd say this thing is going to be a disaster but Nintendo seems to be able to mostly avoid that. I wasn't a huge fan of 2 screens to begin with, and touch screens annoy me more but now 3D just buries it for me I've got zero interest in this besides Megaman Legends 3 is coming out for it.

Also, I don't know why ANY of you are planning on buying this the day it comes out, haven't you learned yet?

GBA, GBASP, GBA Micro, GBA SP+

DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSiXL

Wait 3 days and there'll be a 3DsXP or something with bigger screens and a microwave built in.

redragon5000

Aug 11, 2009
I don't want to wait, but I'd have no choice no matter whether or not it was released this year...so I'm okay with waiting. xD Gives me time to save up money.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Damn GST rise in NZ will make the 3DS even more expensive over here.

I'm betting 400 or even 450. That's as much as an Xbox 360 Elite.

Snotnarok said:
I'd say this thing is going to be a disaster but Nintendo seems to be able to mostly avoid that. I wasn't a huge fan of 2 screens to begin with, and touch screens annoy me more but now 3D just buries it for me I've got zero interest in this besides Megaman Legends 3 is coming out for it.

Also, I don't know why ANY of you are planning on buying this the day it comes out, haven't you learned yet?

GBA, GBASP, GBA Micro, GBA SP+

DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSiXL

Wait 3 days and there'll be a 3DsXP or something with bigger screens and a microwave built in.
Made me laugh. Good point though

prefectimo

Feb 4, 2009
Snotnarok said:
&nbsp&nbsp For early adaption, and...

NDS = 24/02/2005
NDSL = 02/03/2006
NDSi = 02/04/2008

... I don't want to wait a year or more.

&nbsp&nbsp Some people wait and get better value, while others get in early to try new things. It's like how you could wait 10 years and get a game collection of 4 games for the price of 1, say Super Mario All-Stars, or buy them when they come out. I only play my DS Lite so this is the only new console/gaming news I really care for.

&nbsp&nbsp Each to their own.