Guillermo del Toro Making a Horror Game

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Guillermo del Toro Making a Horror Game

The director of Pan's Labyrinth [http://www.amazon.com/Hellboy-William-Hoyland/dp/B001AK3S4Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1285794816&sr=1-1] is making a "geeky" horror game with a "Lovecraftian" feel.

Guillermo del Toro is a film writer, director and producer from Mexico who was most recently linked with The Hobbit movie [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103846-The-Hobbit-in-Danger-Due-to-Labor-Squabbles]. He pitched several ideas for game series back in 2006, and one of those was recently picked up by THQ, makers of Saints Row and Red Faction. del Toro couldn't supply a lot of details, but he did say that it is heavily influenced by the works of H.P. Lovecraft. A Call of Cthulu game? Awesome.

"It's horror, but it's a very different type of horror game. It's not survival horror," del Toro said. "It's truly a strange, geeky mix. It's a Lovecraftian thing. Let's leave it at that."

We can only speculate on how the game will be played, whether it's a third person shooter or something different, but del Toro did emphasize the scope and that he is developing more than just one title. "But we are talking about huge games, huge world creation and long deadlines. With THQ, we're looking at around a three year developing deadline for each game. Big, big games."

Unfortunately, because these games are so big, we won't see them for quite a while. "More details forthcoming, but we are truly exploring them in a serious manner," del Toro said. "Expect the first game, best case scenario, 2013."

del Toro is a gamer and appreciates the horror genre, as one could tell from his movies and his choice of family entertainment. "I pitched several games in 2006, and we were developing one called Sundown that was eerily similar to Left 4 Dead, which I adore and am addicted to, and in our household is considered a family game," del Toro said with a laugh. "My two daughters are my wingmen."

We'll have to wait until 2013, but I'm definitely intrigued by a videogame penned and produced by the guy who put eyeballs into that thing's hands.

Source: MTV [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/09/29/guillermo-del-toro-thq-game/]

akapellah21

Jul 8, 2009
The Devil's Backbone was amazing and scared the shit outta me. Cronos was pretty good too. very underrated films

Substance-E

Sep 28, 2010
I just hope the baddies are more sensible than the ogre or whatever the eye guy was called. Think about it, if he reaches out to grab you he loses depth perception and has that much of a harder time eating your skin...

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
"Left 4 Dead, which I adore and am addicted to, and in our household is considered a family game," del Toro said with a laugh. "My two daughters are my wingmen."
Oh del Toro, you so awesome. It's not like Left 4 Dead has anything terribly inappropriate in it anyway, if anything it emphasizes Team Work and Helping Others.

Sindre1

Nov 8, 2008
These news made me react vocally, in a way that normally just happends when I read great news about Doctor Who :D

Cgull

Behind You
Oct 31, 2009
Is it possible that it could be related to the trilogy of books that he is currently co-authoring?

They're not particularly 'out there' in storyline terms but would translate well to a game, if done right. The books are called 'The Strain' and 'The Fall' for anyone who wishes to have a mooch :)

lewism247

Aug 1, 2009
Seriously?

Fucking nice one, he should be able to do a great job of this, I'll need to keep an eye out for this.

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
XD I'm all for it I just keep thinking there have been LoveCraftian games all ready so that part isn't particularly shocking especially considering one of them is my favorite "Call of Cthulhu: Darkest Corners of the Earth."

Either Way I love Del Toro's work.

JoJo Bizzaro 7

Mar 7, 2010
I reserve my judgement for the final product.
However, I am getting somewhat hyped... Fuck it, WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
i want to meet his daughters

child of an awesome filmaker who has influenced a lot of people in México and the world, who also play video games and aparently enjoy left 4 death??.... hell yeah!

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
As long as there is solid gameplay as well as looking good. I'm convinced he can pull of atmosphere and great graphics, but a game is different to a film. Very interested in how this turns out nevertheless

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
I BLOODY LOVEcraftian games/stories, completed Amnesia last week so I'm all the more stoked up for similar stuff.

But oh wait 2013...bah.

I.E.D. said:
As far as I know Guillermo del Toro is making a movie based on the best horror novella ever written. H.P. Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness. Could be linked to this.
Holy crap this best be true, he's the perfect director to do it.