Blizzard Finally Lets People Turn Off RealID Completely

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Blizzard Finally Lets People Turn Off RealID Completely

Blizzard has finally updated its RealID system with many of the privacy features that should have been there in the first place.

In case you weren't around back in July, there was quite the hubbub when Blizzard announced that its RealID system - attaching your real-life identity to your in-game character - backed off [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101916-Blizzard-Forums-Make-Real-Names-Mandatory], but the RealID system remained in place in-game.

That's not a bad thing at all. The RealID system in its original, optional form was actually a great idea. It let players keep in touch with their friends whether they were on another WoW server or faction, or playing a different game entirely. Unfortunately, it still had some gaping flaws, like an inability to ever "go offline" when you just wanted to pick some Peacebloom on an alt, and the bizarre inability to make yourself invisible to the friends of your friends.

Well, you can do one of those now, at least. The notice just came in from Blizzard that the popular PC developer had added more privacy options to its RealID service via gamers' Battle.net accounts:

[blockquote]We'd like to make you aware of the new Real ID-related privacy options we've introduced to Battle.net. These options provide Real ID users with additional tools for customizing the service based on their preferences, enabling the ability to opt in or out of the Real ID "Friends of Friends" and "Add Facebook Friends" features or to turn off Real ID altogether. [/blockquote]

In other words, you can now completely turn RealID off if you just don't want to ever be bothered, or you can enable RealID but remove yourself from the "Friends of Friends" and "Add Facebook Friends" pool.

Uh, better late than never, I guess? I've always thought RealID was a cool and useful system with one or two crippling Achilles' Heels, so it's nice to see that Blizzard is working on fixing it - even if it is at its customarily lethargic pace.

Baby steps, people. Baby steps.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well at least they have opened up options to people now, which is about time. Hate stuff that links into Facebook...

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Glad to see that are giving options rather then forcing it down our throats.

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
And it's about bloody time. Methinks Kotick's mentality had something to do with this delay.

znix

Apr 9, 2009
Great.. now focus on getting Diablo 3 out without having it suck as much as SC II did :/

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
For anyone having trouble finding the "disable RealID" option, it's under "Communication Preferences" in the "Settings" drop-down.

Thanks for the notice, John. This is the first I've heard of it. Would've been nice for Blizzard to send out an Email notifying us of this.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
I still wish they'd gone ahead with the full on compulsory setup >.> I mean, yes it was a dangerous idea, but still, WoW is basically the only community could survive such an experiment, and we'd have gotten some really good data..

JerrytheBullfrog

Dec 30, 2009
Idocreating said:
And it's about bloody time. Methinks Kotick's mentality had something to do with this delay.
You must not be a long-time PC gamer. Blizzard always works this slowly.

znix said:
Great.. now focus on getting Diablo 3 out without having it suck as much as SC II did :/
Suck as much as SC2 did...? You mean not at all?

SC2 was a masterpiece. Battle.net was the crappy part.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Well, I didn't use a real ID in the first place - wasn't going to trust them to keep my details private after that whole fiasco!

Feb 13, 2008
Good to know that all we have to do to stop Blizzard breaking any laws is wait for us to scream and holler about it, then wait, then let them know directly, then threaten them, then wait a little more and THEN they decide it can be optional totally.

Like it was originally.

Nice to know that Seto Kotick isn't the only source of incompetence there.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Am I the only one that didn't see an issue with this? All I can come up with is that players can now easily be called out for spamming on forums and being dicks in their games.

Whats the problem??

JerrytheBullfrog

Dec 30, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Good to know that all we have to do to stop Blizzard breaking any laws is wait for us to scream and holler about it, then wait, then let them know directly, then threaten them, then wait a little more and THEN they decide it can be optional totally.

Like it was originally.

Nice to know that Seto Kotick isn't the only source of incompetence there.
Uh, it always was optional. You were never ever forced to start using it. Which is why I'm not even sure that this is news?

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
If you could use a nickname for the RealID (which would technically defeat the point of it's name but at least that name could be changed) i'd even support it's use on the forums. They'd realize their "dream" of having everyone post with a consistent identity with less of those privacy issues. And chance is that my friends already know my real name. But for whatever reason Blizz insists on real names.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Good, now make Battle.net less of an e-peen waving contest and more like Steam and maybe you'll be in something resembling good graces with me.

PPB

May 25, 2009
Anyone knows if the "disable" option can be used as an "appear offline" alternative? Or does it permanently wipe your list as if you had removed everyone manually?

Edit: so I logged in and disabling RealID *does* wipe your friends list. Still no appear offline it seems.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Baby steps indeed, John. I'm taking this as another sign that there's still hope to be had with Blizzard. I won't be giving up on them any time soon!

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
Whoa, is there hope for Blizzard yet?.

Hmmm.

Hmmmmmm.

Nope. Not until they restore offline LAN, crossregion play, spawn installation, true mapping and everything they took out that StarCraft did 10 years ago.