Team Fortress 2 Adds Microtransactions

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Team Fortress 2 Adds Microtransactions

Did that one item that you always wanted in Valve's Team Fortress 2 just never drop? Now you can buy it.

Valve's popular FPS has been getting steadily more MMO-like since its inception, with characters getting a persistent inventory, loot drops, and even crafted items. Now, Valve is adding another of the free-to-play MMO mainstays: microtransactions.

The "Mann-Conomy Update," as "Polycount Pack," [http://www.teamfortress.com/mannconomy/FAQ/] Valve seems to be intending on adding every almost single item to the store - eventually. It's still Valve Time over there, after all.

The TF2 team would like to assure players that they will not be selling maps - in the interests of not splintering the community - and that every single item that is purchasable will still be a drop in the game, so nobody will be able to buy an advantage, only convenience. The developer will still be rolling out free updates to the game as it always has, reads the blog page.

And yet, none of that will stop the almost-certainly-impending deafening outcry from the community that Valve has "ruined TF2!"

In other news, I am apparently a psychic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/view-from-the-road/7655-View-from-the-Road-No-Such-Thing-as-a-Free-Lunch].

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
Oh dear... This will make the proverbial shit hit the fan.

As long as they don't provide paying players with an advantage, I guess I'm ok with it.

Caradinist

Nov 19, 2009
I don't want to sound like a defeatist or nothin'...But this will ruin Team Fortress 2 beyond all measure, and i don't feel like elaborating why.

Pandora92

Apr 2, 2010
*waits for the inevitable complaining*

I can't really see any downside to this though, it doesn't affect you if you don't want to purchase items, and it gives people that submit community content a chance to earn money from it.

Plus really with all the free stuff Valve have given us over the years I don't exactly grudge them making a bit of money from TF2, if only companies like Activision would look at a business model like this as a way to be successful AND nice/liked.

**EDIT**

^ Ninja'd by the complaining.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
then I was actually going to play TF2.

Counter Strike hasn't got Micro-transactions yet?

Kinichie

Penguin Overlord
Jun 18, 2008
So what is wrong here? People paying their own money to get items while people who rather they like random chance/spend hours getting them complain about it?

Welcome to the 21st Century man.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
so.. just reduce the drop rate something astronomicaly low, or increase the drop rate for useless items.. it will "favor" their microtransaction system.

Not like i will bother using it anyway, since i only use a single "special" drop; the sandvich.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
"We added grind, but for a small fee, we can take it away."

Yup. Sounds like several MMOs I know. At least these items are absolutely non-essential.

Pandora92

Apr 2, 2010
Twad said:
so.. just reduce the drop rate something astronomicaly low, or increase the drop rate for useless items.. it will "favor" their microtransaction system.

Not like i will bother using it anyway, since i only use a single "special" drop; the sandvich.
Why did I get a feeling people would complain before reading all the information on it?

Q: Did you adjust the drop rates for existing items?
A: No. We haven't made it any harder to obtain existing items through gameplay.
Coming from a lot of companies I would call horse-shit, but it's not Valve's style to lie about something like that.

Also @ the post above me since I'm too lazy to quote it in an edit, they didn't "add grind", the item dropping system has always been there...

WelshDanny

May 10, 2010
The internet has gone crazy without doing its research properly, the Team Fortress 2 facebook page is going mad.

OMG VALVE ARE THE NEW ACTIVISION.

Firstly, updates have been free for 3 years.

Secondly, items still drop.

The internet is full of ungrateful swines. And idiots.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
As long as they aren't essential items I'm fine. Besides I've been playing for months and all i got was a lousy chocolate bar.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
I'm ok with this. I won't use it, seeing as I'm broke, but I can see it being useful for people who NEVER GET F*CKING HATS.

Ok maybe I will use it...

Feb 13, 2008
This seems perfectly fair to me. Valve are providing extra stuff with no real extra benefit, making vintage items even rarer and allowing people who don't have large amounts of time to get the same things as others.

In fact, if this was any other game, people would be calling this a success.

Which means that we're still not actually paying any extra money for this. In fact, not only is this free, but the stuff we do have is now actually worth money...

So...where's the problem?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Putting maps up for sale would have been suicide on their part.
But what would really sweeten this deal is if they *****-slapped EA into stop being bosshog tards and started treating their 360 customers with some respect. Coming from a PC player I am saying it is about time everybody got equal access to DLC and drops.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
I see absolutely no problem with this update. In fact, I'm actually kinda excited for it. Though if I do purchase items, I'd only get the ones that I could consider using, as opposed to having them sitting in my inventory and doing nothing.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
icyneesan said:
I'm ok with this. I won't use it, seeing as I'm broke, but I can see it being useful for people who NEVER GET F*CKING HATS.

Ok maybe I will use it...
This. I would like to actully have some hats...Damn drop system only gives me sandwiches.

Pandora92

Apr 2, 2010
New announcement going round to deal with all the complaining that's obviously erupted rofl:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/TF2/announcements/detail/866007064483224660

Oh also John, you may want to make more mention of how as well as micro-transactions they're adding the 5 new sets of items (you mentioned it but didn't exactly draw attention or elaborate on it) and adding item trading, item customization, and doubling the size of the backpack.