Bulletstorm Dev Trashes Idea of Shooter Saturation

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Bulletstorm Dev Trashes Idea of Shooter Saturation

Sometimes it can feel like you can't take a step without bumping into a gaggle of first-person shooters, but People Can Fly's creative director Adrian Chmielarz says that that's just your mind playing tricks on you.

There's no such thing as too much of a good thing, not when it comes to FPS's anyway. Chmielarz, whose studio is currently working on ultra-violent, tongue-in-cheek shooter Bulletstorm [http://www.amazon.com/Bulletstorm-Xbox-360/dp/B003H0CC2O/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1285941381&sr=1-1], says that the idea that the market is saturated with shooters is a myth.

Chmielarz thought that genre saturation was something that only seemed to be an issue with videogames, and that no one complains when an author writes a new detective novel, or another action movie hits theaters. He said that while it may seem like there were a lot of shooters on the horizon, if you looked at the actual month-to-month release schedule, there was absolutely no danger of being overrun. Chmielarz was actually disappointed that there weren't more FPS games coming out, as he would happily play a "great shooter" every couple of weeks, but that there weren't enough to let him do it.

While Chmielarz has undeniable enthusiasm for the genre, an FPS developer, who, by his own admission, would play a lot more shooters if he could, is perhaps not the most objective person to ask about market saturation. Still, when games like Halo: Reach [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1285941296&sr=1-1] make a couple of hundred million [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103518-Halo-Reach-Makes-200-Million-on-First-Day] in their first day, it's going to be a while before the genre fizzles out.

Bulletstorm will be released for Xbox 360, PC and PS3 on February 22nd.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-30-bulletstorm-dev-talks-down-fps-malaise]

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
I don't think the problem is with the amount of shooters, just the fact they all kinda look the same. Originality has kinda died in the genre.

With that said though, Bulletstorm looks fantastic.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Jonny49 said:
I don't think the problem is with the amount of shooters, just the fact they all kinda look the same. Originality has kinda died in the genre.

With that said though, Bulletstorm looks fantastic.
Indeed. I would like to take bets on the likelyhood of a flaming gun with breasts that shoots shurikens and lightning.

or at least some reference to tits and fire in relation to the games most fun gun

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
"No other medium has saturation?" He must not watch TV. I mean, the cop dramas are pretty numerous. You have CSI, CSI, CSI, NCIS, NCIS, Numb3rs, Bones, Rizzoli & Isles, Law & Order (all, what, seven of them?)...

Not to mention medical shows. Scrubs, House, ER, Royal Pains...

Okay, so they may not be saturated, but they're pretty damn common. Same with FPS games. It'd be nice to go away from them for a bit and explore other genres that don't get as much love, like point and click adventures.

HellsingerAngel

Jul 6, 2008
ForgottenPr0digy said:
And this game comes out 2 months before gears of war 3. I hope after GOW3 people are still going to buy Bullet storm because we need to support new IPs out on the market.
No worries. Warhammer Online came out a couple months before Wrath of the Lich King did and look how wel- Oh...Right...

Joking aside, the first commenter is correct. It's not that there are too many, it's thta they all feel like the same game with a small gimmick attached. Bulletstorm seems to want to change that and good on 'um for trying that! Hopefully it catches on and people start trying new things with the FPS genre.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
phew, wow man

I read the title and the first thing that came to my mind was "bulletstorm will no longer be an FPS!?"

such a relief, and yeah, the guy is right, though the market is rather saturated with FPS's, I find it good because developers are exploring more "variety" games on first person perspective, like Amnesia, Bioshock Infinite or, hell, Six Days in Fallujah

though a return to form is quite welcome, like BulletStorm or fucking Duke Nukem Forever

EmeraldGreen

Professional Lurker
Mar 19, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
"No other medium has saturation?"
As I read it, he wasn't saying that - he was saying that no one complains about it. In any case, he's wrong, because I'm pretty sure I've heard several people make disparaging remarks about it in various media. Case in point: the glut of crime shows on TV.

And sorry, Adrian Chmielarz, I also disagree with you about shooters. I'm not sure that there's a single point in my local EB Games where you can stand and not be within arm's reach of an FPS. (Possibly the DS area?) I don't know about you, but I call that saturation.

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
Sorry Adrian, its not my mind, its you devs and publishers, and your blatant greed and lack of creativity. Theres a damn good reason I feel the shooter genre is a stagnant pool of piss, and its nothing to do with my imagination, but devs lack of it.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
I wish people would get sick of shooters.
That 'aint happening for a long, long time. Let's see....... Fallout: New Vegas, Dead Space 2, Black Ops, BulletStorm, Portal 2 (technically), Gears of War 3, Red Faction: Armageddon and of course Halo: Reach.

Looks like you may as well get used to shooters. They're here to stay.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MercurySteam said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
That 'aint happening for a long, long time. Let's see....... Fallout: New Vegas, Dead Space 2, Black Ops, BulletStorm, Portal 2 (technically), Gears of War 3, Red Faction: Armageddon and of course Halo: Reach.

Hooray mediocrity.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Its sounds more like an apology, and a half assed at that

"huh... yeah, our game is exactly like the others, but we can fit in right?...RIGHT!?"

but thats just me

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009

Finally, somebody puts the situation into perspective. I'm sick of snotty kids rolling their eyes and groaning every time a new shooter is announced because the developers would rather make a profit from the application of their talents than catering to the hipster mentality that is running rampant in the gaming community.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Saturation?, maybe. It's a bad thing?, nah.

I don't think so. I still like the new shooters that are coming out in the next months and I'm especially excited for Brink and Fallout New Vegas, also Rage, despite it's many similarities to other games, seems quite different than what's already out there.

Also Bulletstorm seems quite interesting.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
MercurySteam said:
Zachary Amaranth said:

Hooray mediocrity.
Think what you'd like, but assuming all shooters are the same or mediocre is the most incorrect generalization ever made.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
MercurySteam said:

You've got four honest-to-goodness shooters in that list.

Fallout is an RPG. Dead Space is survival "horror". If Red Faction: Armageddon is anything like it's predecessor, it's more of an open world game action game. Portal is a puzzle game.

Of the four left, they're all pretty different games.

It'd say that Chmielarz has a point. I noticed a while ago that there didn't seem to be as many shooters coming out as there used to be, especially since the bottom fell out of the WWII shooter market.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
... Okay, so let me get this straight. A development house who's every single game has been a first person shooter, who is set to release another first person shooter to a number of platforms dominated by first person shooters, targeting demographics who's first game was a first person shooter, is saying the video game market isn't saturated with first person shooters.

wut
MercurySteam said:
Think what you'd like, but assuming all shooters are the same or mediocre is the most incorrect generalization ever made.
If one were to average out the aesthetic design, quality, and general themes of every first person shooter, the result would be a dull, brown, six hour long pro-military gunwank.

Just because its a generalization, and just because there are a very small amount of good games floating amidst the liquid shit that is the general landscape, doesn't mean generalizations are wrong, bad, or even unnecessary.