Update: Fable III Kingmaker Available in Europe Only

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Update: Fable III Kingmaker Available in Europe Only

Peter Molyneux is really, really excited about Kingmaker bridging the gap between games and the real world.

Update: A representative from Lionhead has confirmed that Kingmaker is not coming to North America, Joystiq reported [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/01/fable-3-kingmaker-app-video/]. "Kingmaker is a Europe-only digital marketing promotion. No U.S. integration," Lionhead said. That's upsetting, because even though I don't own an iPhone or Android enabled phone, I was interested in how the game played out here in the States.

Speaking at the Eurogamer Expo in London this morning, Peter Molyneux of Lionhead Studios said that you'll be able to use Kingmaker to "check in" at real world locations using your phone's GPS function. Doing so will plant a virtual flag in a region and turn its allegiance to either the Royals or the Rebels. By staking your claim, you will be rewarded with gold that can be transferred to your character in Fable III. One faction will be declared the winner when Fable III releases, but it's not clear what you get if your faction wins. You can download and start playing Kingmaker on October 4th with an Android phone or October 6th with the iPhone.

The recently released trailer shows some of the UI and that you will be given real world locations where you can "claim treasure." The trailer seems to stop at around the 1:30 mark on youtube.

Molyneux seemed excited, as is his wont. "To be able to earn gold you can use in your Fable III game, and to check-in and claim land for your side is brilliant for both Fable III and Xbox 360," he said. "We all love the innovation and feeling of being connected that Kingmaker brings to gamers.

"I like this really simple play, I'm really fascinated to see if the rebels win or the royalists win. I love the idea of you being able to earn gold. I love the idea of possibly having things like treasure hunts for this. It's fantastic."

Ok, Peter, we get it. You love it. Now just don't say that it's the best iPhone application ever created. Perhaps he's forgotten that Fable's track record of using promotional games before release isn't very stellar. Doesn't anyone remember how the Pub Games on XBLA broke the Fable II economy [http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/15/fable-2-pub-games-exploit-will-make-you-very-very-rich/]?

The official Kingmaker website [http://www.fable3kingmaker.com/Default.aspx] only shows an image right now but more information will be available there soon.

Source: Gamesindustry.biz [http://www.videogamer.com/news/fable_iii_kingmaker_phone_app_confirmed.html]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Sounds like PM - Excited about anything. He could be excited about been shot!

But, I do like the lil link ion they have going, and do wanna at least experience it in some way

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
But you can't side with the Royals in Fable III, right? You are forced to support with the Rebels, aren't you? Hell, isn't the player character their leader?

Who would to want to play for the Royals in this iPhone thingy then? Seems a little silly to me.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Guys? FourSquare? Really?

Not to mention how much I hate the idea of FourSquare, but this is nothing special, at all.

I'd rather you released another XBLA game. Or The Movies 2.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
Doesn't PM work for Lionhead?

This is kind of a bummer, I was going to download this just to have it, and I like playing a game or two on my phone when I'm bored.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Jaredin said:
Sounds like PM - Excited about anything. He could be excited about been shot!

But, I do like the lil link ion they have going, and do wanna at least experience it in some way
"I've been granted an exclusive chance to experience new levels of pain immersion. You'll notice the small hole here to allow for the blood to flow from and that it reacts with real physics and fluid spread patterns. Also, as an end-game feature, you'll get to meet the designer of both the hardware and software."

Turns out he was shot in the shoulder and oversold it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
It makes sense, this kind of a promotion using RL locations would be difficult to do globally. It's a neat promotion but not one I'm going to be all upset over.

As far as Pub Games breaking Fable 2's economy... it mostly just saved you some time. I mean with an hour or so doing blacksmithing you can start buying property, and that property accunulates money even when your logged off, allowing you to buy even more property....

Really, the millions come rolling right in.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
JourneyThroughHell said:
I'd rather you released another XBLA game.
They could probably make some pretty cool mini games with a similar enough theme that everyone could enjoy.

After a second thought, I found the idea funny that this Microsoft promotion is for people with an Apple phone.

Camarilla

Jul 17, 2008
addeB said:
obisean said:
He's the Lionhead boss.

I think he was referring to the fact that the article originally said he worked for Lionheart, rather than Lionhead

Actually, it still does say Lionheart and one point:
"Kingmaker is a Europe-only digital marketing promotion. No U.S. integration," Lionheart said.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Update: A representative from Lionhead has confirmed that Kingmaker is not coming to North America, Joystiq reported [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/01/fable-3-kingmaker-app-video/]. "Kingmaker is a Europe-only digital marketing promotion. No U.S. integration," Lionheart said. That's upsetting, because even though I don't own an iPhone or Android enabled phone, I was interested in how the game played out here in the States.
in this internet age there is no good reason to run competitions only for one region or country, but if it's got to be done I'd just like to say to you, speaking as an Australian, WAAAH! WAAAH! Given the Escapist itself runs competitions and promotions only open to US customers I'm actually happy the Americans have to suffer a bit for a change.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
Camarilla said:
addeB said:
obisean said:
He's the Lionhead boss.

I think he was referring to the fact that the article originally said he worked for Lionheart, rather than Lionhead

Actually, it still does say Lionheart and one point:
"Kingmaker is a Europe-only digital marketing promotion. No U.S. integration," Lionheart said.
The article originally said Lionheart. I normally wouldn't have said anything, but he did it every time he referred to Lionhead.

Diggah

Sep 7, 2009
Incidentally you're not missing much. The app is pretty basic with the map of your surroundings being unzoomable so you cant see whats going on around you. Also it doesn't seem to be very bright. I seem to be able to place all 10 of my available daily flags on the same spot for 500gold reward.
Annoyingly the only treasure spots its giving me are at least 80 odd miles away and I'll be b*****ed if Im going that far for a novelty hat.