Human Revolution Artist Itching to Make Deus Ex 4

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Human Revolution Artist Itching to Make Deus Ex 4

Eidos Montreal's art director Jonathan Jacques-Belletete says that he understands why Warren Spector got so attached to the first Deus Ex.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution won't be in stores for months, but Jacques-Belletete has grown rather fond of the world of conspiracy and betrayal he's helped build. So much so, that he'd jump at the chance to make another Deus Ex game.

Human Revolution is the earliest game in the series chronologically, and shows the first faltering steps of the mechanical augmentation that was in danger of becoming obsolete by the time of the original Deus Ex. Jacques-Belletete has worked on the game since the very start of the project and said that after spending so much time creating the world and its people he would "absolutely" want to make Deus Ex 4.

He said that he had read an interview with Warren Spector - who created the first Deus Ex - near the start of the project, where Spector said that after spending so long with the characters and world that he'd made, he was interested to see what others would do with it. Jacques-Belletete said that at the time, he didn't get what Spector was saying, but that the last four years had given him a fresh perspective.

"I didn't really understand what he meant," he said. "Emotionally I didn't really know. Now I've just spent almost four years with that world we created and those characters we created, that we've lived with every day of our lives, I know exactly what it means."

Jacques-Belletete said that there was already talk of what Eidos Montreal's next project would be, but that he couldn't say anything about it other than the studio was going to be busy. Deus Ex: Human Revolution will be released for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 on February 28th.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-01-does-eidos-want-to-make-deus-ex-4]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
IF they do good with the thirdf one I will be cheering for more Deus Ex, its a great series which could tell alot of stories, but only if done well

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
It always makes me feel a little warm inside when people inside the industry, talk about how they love their jobs, or at least the project they are working on. With love and dedicated, a game can turn out great.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
It's always a good sign when the folks involved on an iteration of a beloved franchise appear to really enjoy their work. If Human Revolution is anywhere near as awesome as it looks like it will be, I for one will be happy to see this team making Deus Ex 4.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
If they revive the series with a sequel, they should only work on it if they find a story as good as the first as long with gameplay. Invisible War was crap compared the first one, still crap if you don't. Plus, hard to find another leaping off point with the ending(s) to Invisible War.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I can actually understand Jacques-Bellate's feelings on this one.
Sometimes, you just find a setting or theme that really clicks with you. Instantly.
It's literally like a piece falling into place and fitting perfectly.

Very few things in this world (people, books, philosophies, anything really) ever seem to fit quite like that, and I've personally only found a few scant examples of that ever happening in the gaming world.

I'm sorry if this sounds artsy-fartsy or in some way pretentious, but it's something I'm not quite sure how to describe.

In any case, even if Human Revolution turns out to be another franchise cash-in, at least he can take solace in having fun by doing his work. It's a rare thing that.

JayDub147

Jun 13, 2009
The Rascal King said:
The studio better be busy with Hitman 5, dammit. I haven't killed anyone in pool boy costume in ages.
That's Io's job, good sir. It seems they've just been dicking around making Kane& Lynch, though.

Admiral Stukov

I spill my drink!
Jul 1, 2009
I wonder where on the timeline a Deus Ex 4 would be.
Invisible War pretty much borked any chance of a good story after it, and another prequel would, well not fit anywhere.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
stukov961 said:
Invisible War pretty much borked any chance of a good story after it, and another prequel would, well not fit anywhere.

If Human Revolution sells well enough they can just declare the first 2 games irrelevent and go where they like with it - all the new fans won't care and all the old fans who don't like it will be written off as nostalgia freaks.

Admiral Stukov

I spill my drink!
Jul 1, 2009
RhombusHatesYou said:
stukov961 said:

If Human Revolution sells well enough they can just declare the first 2 games irrelevent and go where they like with it - all the new fans won't care and all the old fans who don't like it will be written off as nostalgia freaks.
Sadly enough this is probably true, but one could at least hope for a parallel storyline.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
stukov961 said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
stukov961 said:

Sadly enough this is probably true, but one could at least hope for a parallel storyline.
Well, maybe they could go with, as I guess what you mean by a parallel storyline, a narrative taking place more or less concurrently with two of the older games. Or they could maybe take one of the endings of Invisible War and just run with it. The "Ophelia" one would probably be the easiest one to go for, if they wanted to stick with the themes of Deus Ex.

Just ignoring the events of Deus Ex and Invisible War would be a bit lame though. Still, the game is said to be set 25 years prior to the original. That length of time should give enough time for other stories to be told. According to wikipedia, the events in HR will lead to the formation of UNATCO. That might be a viable route to take - it may be quite interesting to see how UNATCO gets to where it is in DX.