Fable 3 Starts Off With Tough Decisions

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Fable 3 Starts Off With Tough Decisions

Peter Molyneux wants you to know that Fable 3 is going to be great, and the game is going to force you to make a devastating choice early on.

The Fable games, up to this point, have always featured a massive decision at the end of their stories. These moments hinge on how your actions - selfish or noble - affect both your character and the game's world. <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Fable-III-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JGDM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1285960134&sr=8-1>Fable III, however, is set to include a such a moral quandary at the start of the game.

Speaking at the Eurgamer Expo 2010 this morning, Lionhead boss Peter Molyneux revealed some details about the game's plot and how it forces players to figure out just what type of a character they're playing.

"Within the first 10 minutes we give you what we think is an equally big decision at the start of Fable III," Molyneux said. "We're doing that because we want to establish your character. If we make you care about something we can also make you hate something that you care about."

Apparently Lionhead put this decision in the players' hands early on because fans hated making such a tough decision at the end of of Fable II. While the decision hasn't been made public yet, a number of game journalists got to experience it firsthand, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/8059-Preview-Fable-3>including The Escapist's very own Susan Arendt. It sounds like a pretty extreme moment, one that will definitely make players stop and think about how they want the game to progress.

However, Molyneux also promised that Fable III will be, "undoubtedly the best Fable there has ever been. You're going to be totally blown away by the pace, the story, the surprises, the new levelling up system, the new cast." It certainly sounds great, but I'm reserving judgment until October 26.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-01-fable-iii-has-huge-decision-at-start>Eurogamer

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
I'm actually very interested in this. I hated the pathetic decisions at the beginning of the game

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Again, you had me at John Cleese. The Fable games have always been funny, especially Fable 2's flavor text for one-star items.

Thanks for sweetening the deal, though. Pre-ordered the Collector's Edition of this. Would have gotten Collector's for New Vegas, but I already have Fallout 3's Collector's Edition, so...yeah. Lunchbox>>>>>all

Dec 14, 2009
Ah Peter Molyneux. I will keep buying your games as long as you keep being the most enthusiastic person in the universe. That guy could sell me rock if I thought it could make life altering decsisons that will impact every facet of everything ever made... ever.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
Interesting, but if it involves any other characters they better do a damn fine job of making us care about them before this decision shows up. Otherwise it'll be worthless. Also, if the morals of this decision is something along the lines of "Do you want to kill the bunny rabbit, or let it free?" then we'll all be disappointed. Although, it wouldn't be the first time...

Mezzo.

Nov 19, 2009
You know, I kind of think it would have been better if he had kept this sort of detail as a surprise for release. Seems like a much better approach personally.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Molyneux is as enthusiastic and passionate about his games as ever and that's why I like him though that's also the reason why I don't always believe, what comes out of his mouth.
However, it does sound interesting and I'm really looking forward to Fable 3. I'm wondering how the Fable games have progressed because I didn't play Fable 2 (don't own a XBox).
Have they already announced the release date for the pc version?

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
A good decision. Fable 1 & 2's end choices both felt like they had no connection with the game up to that point, in the sense that no matter how good or evil you had been you could choose from all three, & none had any real consequence since the game was effectively finished. Only time in fable 2 I felt a personal response was when I forgot to save the temple of light sidequest before going off to the spire, returning to find Oakfield trashed. When forgetting to do an optional mission has a greater emotional effect than an intentional choice in the main storyline, something's not been done right.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
Ummm I found the hardest part of 2 to be in which way I was going to massacre all of the people in the towns. I found that the blunderbuss was the best way, it made the people go flying when they got hit.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
I think I speak for everyone when I say this..

Step 1.) Have Sex
Step 2.) Kill everything
Step 3.) ????
Step 4.) Kill everything again

Steps 1-4 are all profit.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
icyneesan said:
I think I speak for everyone when I say this..

Step 1.) Have Sex
Step 2.) Kill everything
Step 3.) ????
Step 4.) Kill everything again

Steps 1-4 are all profit.
Not everybody plays a murderous, evil, nymphomaniac when they play Fable, you know. How easy is it to kill everybody you see? Now how much more fun is the game when you play it by choices that you yourself would make?

Quite a large difference, if you ask me.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
As with anything PM says, gonna take it with pinch of salt, but I am looking forward to it

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmm, well I think Peter Molyneux needs to stop overhyping his own games like this. What's more he (and games journalists in general) need to do their homework, or at least take and check their notes.

Big desician at the beginning of Fable 3? Ummm, hello... one of the big hype moments for Fable 2 was that you would make a huge desician that would influance what Bowerstone looked like right out of the gate. This was promoted left and right when it first came out. There is nothing new and differant about this, it's pretty much the same hype that we saw for the last game, being presented again in hoping we all have so much ADHD that we don't remember.

Now granted, with advances in technology it's likely that they can do more with a pivotal desician this time around, but the fundemental idea is no differant than their previous promotions.

That said, I do enjoy the Fable games, and keep playing them, but I feel that they constantly fall short of what they could be. The whole romance and sex aspect of the game tends to be kind of disappointing because not only are the naughty bits glossed over, but you have like zero interaction with your spouse. What's more given that you can wow women by farting and pumping your fist (Jersey Shore would be proud) it's not like there is any real role-playing or anything even in the pursuit. In general you wind up dumping your wife and kid for the achievement and then forgetting about it, because really what has there been to do? Even Lady Gray winds up being quite boring once you've already married her.

The whole idea of Fable is cool, but it really needs more work to even approach the promises made early on.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
While this sounds cool, after hearing Mr. Peter's talk about other things has turned me off of his credibility as a person to endorse something. He's got the optimism, he needs to have a follow through with them. He promises the moon but gives us the stars :p

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
At the start of Fable 2 you either made Old Bowerstone into the shining gem of the City, or damned it to a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

That's gotta count as a pretty big choice at the start, surely?

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Um yeah? who cares?
what I want to know is key to whether I will be canceling my pre order...and that is will Fable 3 being a direct sequel to Fable 2 taking place 50 years later or so, and you playing the part of the Daughter of Son of your character in Fable 2...will Fable 3 deal with the completely bad ending, and last part of 2? fable 2 became complete and utter crap once you met a certain character and from then on, and the 3 endings were total and complete **** specially a certain one that was basically I'm sorry the princess is in another castle.

If these endings are not dealt with, and you don't get closure for even the majority of story in Fable 2...then I won't be buying Fable 3. Peter Molyneux will officially get my vote to go to hell from then on.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I've always played Fable games, I always will, (unless the feel gets fucked up. Can anyone say Crash Twinsanity?)so I shall enjoy this one.....as soon as I get some money.