Game Addiction a "National Health Problem" in Australia

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Game Addiction a "National Health Problem" in Australia

Psychologists in Australia are warning that videogame addiction is on the verge of becoming a "national health problem" for the nation's adults.

As the scourge of videogame addiction spreads, it could become as expensive and destructive as alcohol and nicotine addiction, according to an article in the not yet determined [http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25500689-2862,00.html] whether or not videogame addiction should be classified as a legitimate mental illness.

"There is no doubt computer and computer games addiction is on the rise for adults," said psychologist William Campos. "It can be all consuming. I had one patient who was so involved with one game called World of Warcraft [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com] and would play it up to eight [or] ten hours a day."

The report adds that the videogame industry has "unsurprisingly" avoided the topic of game addiction. "Certainly many young people go through periods of intense involvement in computer game play, for example with a new game, but this is not a lasting obsession for the majority," the Interactive Entertainment Association of Australia [http://www.ieaa.com.au/] said in a statement. The Herald Sun said the statement shows the industry is "in denial."

68 percent of Australians now play videogames and the average age of gamers in the country is 30. Despite the recession that began in 2008, Australians blew $2 billion on videogames, a 47 percent jump over 2007.

Boy, can you imagine how bad things would be if Australia hadn't spent all that time banning the grown-up games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87288-Australias-Jack-Thompson]?

via: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/19/herald-sun-game-addiction-on-the-rise-industry-in-denial/]

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Further proof that Australia just loves jumping on the bandwagon of idiotically-handled 'problems' long after the dead horse has been flogged mercilessly and turned into glue.

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
Erana said:
Frankly, I think the internet itself is a bigger threat.
This is very true. I could easily burn several hours a day on here, instead of more productive things I could be doing.

Now, I have both my computer and a small television with my favourite console hooked up to it; I can also multitask. My life is over.

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
The_Oracle said:
Further proof that Australia just loves jumping on the bandwagon of idiotically-handled 'problems' long after the dead horse has been flogged mercilessly and turned into glue.
And then dried up on my woodwork project which I failed and got an C for, then burnt.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
The_Oracle said:
Well we have to wait alot longer for some things to come to Australia so it only makes sence that all the problems come later as well.

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
As an Australian, I predict a rapid, misinformed and utterly pointless response from the Rudd government.

Oh wait...
He is the one who claimed that putting more computers in schools would be the foundation for an "education revolution"...

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
xmetatr0nx said:
Pi_Fighter said:
As an Australian, I predict a rapid, misinformed and utterly pointless response from the Rudd government.

Oh wait...
He is the one who claimed that putting more computers in schools would be the foundation for an "education revolution"...
Man, what happend to you australia you used to be cool.
We sort of got Americanised.
Then everything broke.
Well, at least now we are more obese than America...
Not that that is a very good claim to fame or anything...

Sgt Doom

Jan 30, 2009
The words "Video games" and "Australia" present in the same article tend to be a good indicator not to take it seriously.

The horse is not only dead, it's now nothing more than a thin organic paste smeared over a few square kilometres.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Maybe that's the root of the problem. Having banned all the big tough manly games there have been no major disappointments to make gamers jaded.

Instead they've all been left playing Peggle and World of Warcraft, a bit like banning alcohol but legalising crack and heroine just to distract everyone...

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
However if they were playing football for 8 hours a day, it would be a healthy hobby and not an addiction...

LordBag

Jan 10, 2008
Surely there are more important things to be concerned with than "one patient who was so involved with one game called World of Warcraft and would play it up to eight [or] ten hours a day."

Perhaps I am just being ignorant, but it hardly strikes me as a "National Health problem" - what negative effects arise from this?

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Pi_Fighter said:
xmetatr0nx said:
Pi_Fighter said:

Oh wait...
We sort of got Americanised.
Then everything broke.
Well, at least now we are more obese than America...
Not that that is a very good claim to fame or anything...
Wow, I didn't know anyone could ever beat America in obesity.

fix-the-spade said:
Maybe that's the root of the problem. Having banned all the big tough manly games there have been no major disappointments to make gamers jaded.

Instead they've all been left playing Peggle and World of Warcraft, a bit like banning alcohol but legalising crack and heroine just to distract everyone...
You know that makes a mountain of sense, but as you know you can't make sense if your in a political position.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
Skrapt said:
However if they were playing football for 8 hours a day, it would be a healthy hobby and not an addiction...
That's because video games are all about violence while football is.... damn.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
I don't blame them a bit. Seriously, what else can you do in Australia other than watching dingos eating kangaroos and playing video games. That whole bloody country is a goddamn desert.

So, they have a point.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
"There is no doubt computer and computer games addiction is on the rise for adults," said psychologist William Campos. "It can be all consuming. I had one patient who was so involved with one game called World of Warcraft and would play it up to eight [or] ten hours a day."
Lawl lightweight noob.

Seriously though... An industry booms 2 million dollars and it's a bad thing? Fucktwits...

As has been stated before, Videogames are going through the same OHNOZ IT'S EVIL phase that television and rock and roll are.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
xmetatr0nx said:
Pi_Fighter said:

Oh wait...
They grew up and now think of the youth of today as the source of all their problems.

Also, I can understand why people would spend 8-10 hours on WoW a day as it is a fairly addictive game.