Secret of Monkey Island Coming to Xbox Live

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Secret of Monkey Island Coming to Xbox Live

The Secret of Monkey Island [http://www.lucasarts.com/] for the Xbox 360, introducing a new generation of gamers to one of the most beloved adventure franchises of all time.

The existence of The Secret of Monkey Island - Special Edition was revealed by the Xbox Live Arcade [http://www.usk.de/] title and will not get a retail release.

Originally released in 1990 for the PC, Amiga and Atari ST, The Secret of Monkey Island was one of the famous E3 [http://www.justadventure.com/articles/Engines/SCUMM/SCUMM.shtm].

Dare we hope that LucasArts is ready to acknowledging that they're tired of flogging the Star Wars horse [http://www.lucasarts.com/games/legostarwarsii/]? This may not be a brand-new, all-original addition to the Monkey Island story but it's sure a step in the right direction. Xbox owners, you're in for a treat.

Leathersoup

Feb 27, 2009
Come back Lucas Arts!! Come Back!!!

I cannot wait. I lost almost all of my Lucas Arts adventure games. All I have left is The Curse of Monkey Island...

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I have heard so many people saying how great this game is and now I can finally play it. Will we be able to use a mouse with it?

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
May I dare to hope that this is a precusor to Monkey Island 5 being announced?

...just as long as it's not XBox exclusive... (the Wii is perfect for point and click games!)

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Ahhh this takes me back to when I was a kid. Great game hilarious. I don't have an Xbox though so I'll just have to be happy knowing that it is there.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
Yay! Fond memories of this franchise when I was on an older IBM x486 with 6MB ram! Hopefully this will open the door for 'Loom' (another LA classic) as well.

Symp4thy

Jan 7, 2009
This is the best news I've heard all day. I will be buying that as soon as it comes out. Ahh the memories...

retro himself

Nov 14, 2007
Oh fucking yes! Finally, a revival! Perhaps this will stimulate other developers to make more similar adventure games. I sure fucking hope so. Though I wonder what on earth could make Lucasarts actually show some goddamned attention towards their old adventure games? Since they've been blindly avoiding any contact with any of their non-starwars related game over the past decade or so, I wonder what has made them change their mind and realize how dumb they were to just close off the franchise. A new game on the DS would be amazing. And Ron Gilbert himself has said in an interview he'd like to finish the original Monkey Island saga (since the third game wasn't made by him).
oliveira8 said:
Hmm...voice in Secret... would be awesome indeed.
There's already an independent group working on that very same project and has a couple of trailers too. But they're far from done. Though you can nicely follow their progress on their site.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
I have only two extra things I'd like to see.

1. if its gonna be in HD, a PC version for me please!
2. All the other adventure games you have locked up in that Indiana Jones style vault.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Andy_Panthro said:

2. All the other adventure games you have locked up in that Indiana Jones style vault.
I was thinking this exact same thing - how awesome would it be if they followed up with XBL releases of all their classic adventure games - Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango. I'm giddy at the thought!

ima420r

Aug 14, 2008
How will this work on the 360? Use an analog stick to move a pointer?? No way! If this is coming to xbla then it perhaps will come to the Wii, which has a controller that can work perfect for any p&c adventure game. Of course, rumor has it the 360 will have a motion controller of it's own soon, so maybe this game will come to xbla with a mouse substitute that works.

btw: what's with Day of the Tentacle? I played it, it wasn't that good. Zak, Maniac Mansion, Indy, Monkey... these games were sooooo much better but DotT seems to be the popular game in the adv genre of it's time.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
ThaBenMan said:
Andy_Panthro said:

I was thinking this exact same thing - how awesome would it be if they followed up with XBL releases of all their classic adventure games - Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango. I'm giddy at the thought!
...Fate of Atlantis is going to be a bonus unlockable in the new Indiana Jones game for Wii.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Hoo boy, adventure gamers get a huge boost here. And this thing is perfect: exactly the sort of stuff the 360 arcade needs. I want to see some of the ones I missed out on...