Swine Flu Means No Dead Rising 2 At E3

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Swine Flu Means No Dead Rising 2 At E3

Gamers eager to get a look at Dead Rising 2 will have to wait - the game will not be appearing at E3 2009 thanks to concerns about swine flu.

There's a joke in here somewhere about Capcom, zombies, and viruses [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Virus#t-Virus]. Instead of creating zombies, however, it looks like the swine flu destroys them. Or at least keeps them hidden under wraps, anyway.

You may have heard that Japan is going kind of crazy with the whole "swine flu" thing - at last count, there have been over 4,000 temporary school closures while the country tries to get the outbreak under control. The Japanese government has imposed restrictions on foreign travel due to the disease, and consequently Dead Rising 2 boss Keiji Inafune has canceled his appearance at E3, Capcom Community Director Chris Kramer told Kotaku [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91776-Swine-Flu-Strikes-Fear-Into-Capcom-Japan]:

"Our Capcom guys are not coming to E3 because of the Japanese government restrictions ... the company is taking the advisory very seriously."

Despite the fact that Dead Rising 2 is actually being developed by Canada-based Blue Castle, Inafune is the game's executive producer and is closely involved with the game's development - so much so that the company doesn't want anyone else to show off the second zombie massacre at the show. "Dead Rising 2 is the only game we won't be able to showcase at E3, because it's at an early stage of development and the team is not comfortable having anyone else demo the code," said Kramer.

It's a shame, really. I guess we'll have to wait and see whether Chuck Greene is as good at slaughtering the undead as predecessor Frank West was.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Swine flu is big in Japan? I honestly had no idea... And curses. No DR2 info until whatever Japan conferences might be coming...

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
... Lol?

I didn't even know that the swine flu had become an issue in Japan.
I knew it had become an issue and resulted in school closures...but it's a shame it has come to this point.

Initially I thought they wouldn't show the game because the virus related to the in-game zombies would somehow cause a scandal connected to swine flu.

Imagine that...Dead Rising 2's zombies have all contracted the "flu".

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Swine flu? What's that?

Oh yeah......that disease that everyone forgot about in about a week.

This is by far the worst result of the disease.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Ha. I didn't know swine flu was in Japan either.

Yesterday my brother left for Tennessee for some international competition for some school thing, and the Mexican group isn't going because no one wants them spreading swine flu. Poor Mexican kids.

tyzzni

May 20, 2009
I assume 2 will be good. I hope their miss from E3 doesn't make them get a more hyped up game, could kill the experience for people.

Also there are like what...70 people in America with swine flu? how many of them are going to be at E3?

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
They cancelled a showing of a videogame at E3...E3!...because of the swine flu? Am I the only one who thinks that is a little stupid?

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
At least the producers aren't from Madagascar. We would never get to see the game.

Chaossebba

Aug 11, 2008
jboking said:
At least the producers aren't from Madagascar. We would never get to see the game.
I see what you did there.

Anyway, i think its a little silly to cancel showing something at E3 because of _swine flu_

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
Um, I don't recall hearing about swine flu on the news in days. The craze was overly done to begin with, but this is absurd.

SilentFish

Jun 12, 2008
ssgt splatter said:
They cancelled a showing of a videogame at E3...E3!...because of the swine flu? Am I the only one who thinks that is a little stupid?
The worldwide reaction to Swine Flu is an embarrassment to the entire planet.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
SilentFish said:
ssgt splatter said:
The worldwide reaction to Swine Flu is an embarrassment to the entire planet.
No more than SARS was though. The news justs needs something to get ratings up, so they made a big deal out of a new strain of flu.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Wait wait wait, WHAT? How the FUCK does swine flu prevent a game about ZOMBIES from being made? Is it because these zombies are made via viruses? So what? That goes for Left 4 Dead 2 as well and you don't see it getting delayed!