Xbox Live Bugs Harming Independent Developers

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Xbox Live Bugs Harming Independent Developers

A developer that regularly publishes titles through Xbox Live Indie Games has criticized Microsoft's upkeep of the platform.

Shoot 1up [http://www.mommysbestgames.com/], and when I say small outfit, I mean it's basically one guy named Nathan Fouts. He's trying to put out more inexpensive goodness to the audience that enjoys his games, but says the storefront is buggy at times and not always an ideal platform for releasing new titles.

Fouts currently has a new game ready to go called Explosionade [http://www.mommysbestgames.com/explosionade.html] (it's like lemonade but with a spoonful of death) and really wants to set it free. However, he calls the Xbox Marketplace "broken" and refuses to release it until Microsoft gets things working again.

It all comes down to how the Xbox Live Indie Games storefront puts new titles in categories like "Top Downloads" and "New Arrivals." These are often the first stop for indie game shoppers because they show up right on the Xbox 360 dashboard, so they're an easy way to look at new or popular games. Fouts points out that the Top Downloads list gets stuck from time to time, which could cost him valuable sales. That list is stuck right now, so he's holding onto Explosionade.

For an Xbox Live Indie title to not be able to take advantage of being placed on this list as a new release could potentially cost many, many sales. Fouts isn't being greedy, and he isn't being arrogant: He's just making a smart business move.

As I said, Mommy's Best Games is basically one guy trying to make a living off of his games, and needs all the sales he can get. A lot of indie titles have the largest spikes of sales when they're first released, so this is the time they want to be seen by as many people as possible. This situation can be compared to one where a website's newest updates aren't shown on the front page for a few days or longer. Fewer people would click on them, if anybody even bothered to at all, when they eventually did show up. Microsoft should definitely do its developers a solid and get the Xbox Live Indie storefront working properly, because it's independent developers that seem to need even smaller increments of sales the most.

Source: Mommy's Best Blog [http://mommysbest.blogspot.com/2010/10/top-downloads-is-broken-delaying.html]

Jul 22, 2009
It's a shame the Xbox Live indie store is not what it could be...

I've never bought anything from it, there are very very few games I would even consider buying from it.

Could do with some more advertising... or maybe it's only community section.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Yeah...All the Top Downloads/Top Rated lists are semi-broken. For add-ons and everything. Thankfully, the Top Rated/Top Downloads list when you use the "Browse" feature seem to be correct.

Also, Shoot 1up was AWESOME!

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
To be blunt, why wait for Microsoft to get their act together when he could bash a PC version and sell it to the dozen or so PC digital distributors like Beat Hazard did?

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
That is too bad, because he is a great designer. Weapon of Choice was awesome, and shoot 1up, like Onyx said, was great. I hope this gets resolved, because...I want more.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
HG131 said:
GamesB2 said:

I've never bought anything from it, there are very very few games I would even consider buying from it.

Here's a suggestion: Buy Beat Hazard.
Better suggestion: Buy Beat Hazard for the PC.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Microsoft could probably stand to let people know that that section of the marketplace even exists... Honestly the only time I even remember it's there is on here when someone makes an article like this or one about that silly $1 RPG game that's supposed to be pretty good. But when you turn on the 360, it's like "Indie games? What indie games?"

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
HG131 said:
Delusibeta said:
HG131 said:
GamesB2 said:

Better Suggestion: Don't, it's a Dual Stick shooter. Play it the way it was designed to be played. Plus, your TV will most likely have better sound.
Better yet!: Play it on the PC using a 360 controller, as it was "meant to be" and yes, the PC has WAY better sound and you can use all of your music you already have on your hard disk without the annoyance of getting it on a usb and stream it from there.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
HG131 said:
Delusibeta said:
HG131 said:
GamesB2 said:

Better Suggestion: Don't, it's a Dual Stick shooter. Play it the way it was designed to be played. Plus, your TV will most likely have better sound.
Better yet!: Play it on the PC using a 360 controller, as it was "meant to be" and yes, the PC has WAY better sound and you can use all of your music you already have on your hard disk without the annoyance of getting it on a usb and stream it from there.

Better yet! Play it on your VCR for godly sound quality!