Bungie Needs "High IQ" Help With PS3

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Bungie Needs "High IQ" Help With PS3

Want to work at Bungie? Hope you've got a high IQ.

Now that Bungie is working on a multi-platform project with Activision [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100329-Bungie-Signs-Deal-With-Activision], the studio needs employees that understand a console other than the Xbox 360. One of Bungie's new job listings reflects this, but just having PlayStation 3 skills isn't enough.

Bungie is looking for a software development engineer with experience in PS3 software testing, debugging, and troubleshooting. Being able to program in C# is a must, as is experience with SQL queries. You've got to be able to communicate, work with a team, and have an appetite for high quality. Oh, you better have a high IQ too.

The studio lists "High IQ" right alongside all of the other requirements for the job, which seems a little odd. Does this mean Bungie requires the submission of an IQ test along with a resume? It'd be rough if a candidate meets all requirements, but he/she somehow has an abhorrently low IQ.

I had always thought that the majority of IQ tests were a big load of baloney, but apparently they're important to Bungie. I guess putting together Halo on steroids [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100339-Sony-Exec-Bungie-Deal-Gives-PS3-Fans-Halo-on-Steroids] requires a high score on standardized aptitude tests. In reality, this is probably just Bungie's way of saying "don't be a dunderhead," but a much nicer way of putting it. If you're a PlayStation 3 software developer, I don't really see how you can be a dunderhead anyway.

Source: Game Informer [http://www.bungie.net/Inside/aboutus.aspx#27683]

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
This has got me interested in what this game could be...

Can't wait for this =D

Plus if they want High IQ, why work with Bobby Kotick?

Hehe

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Doesn't everyone put their IQ on their resume anyway?

I do.

Should I stop?

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
ooh, promises for an exiting new game...

looking forward to it already

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Poking fun of those who constantly shout "WAAAAAAAAH THE PS3 IS TOO COMPLICATED!", perhaps? Still. I'm already excited to see what Bungie's gotten in store for us. What if it's NOT a first person shooter? The possibilities!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Wait, what?

Just about the only thing an IQ test measures is how good you are at IQ tests. I guess they give a very VERY general indication of your intelligence, but that's it.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
psrdirector said:
StBishop said:
Doesn't everyone put their IQ on their resume anyway?

I do.

Should I stop?
I really hope your joking, cause no matter what that will look idiotic or pretentious
I'm pretty pretentious.

But no, I'm not joking.

It got me a job twice though.

Captain Bobbossa

Jun 1, 2009
The high IQ thing is probably just because there used to working with xbox developers and havn't realised yet that this is not what the rest of the human population is like.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
I got 130 according to a test I did, but still, I hardly think it ever aided me whenever I had to study.
Of course, I know nothing of programming, so it would be pointless to even considerate.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
unless they themselves are providing the iq test themselves, this is a quite stupid idea.
Most iq tests are flawed in some manner, be it biased against color blind people or something else.

and really what does having a high iq have to do with coding now or beta testing?