Best Buy Defends PS3 Upgrade Charges

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Best Buy Defends PS3 Upgrade Charges

The thirty dollar surcharge represents a service, not a scam, says the electronics retailer.

It came to light earlier in the week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104070-Best-Buy-Swindles-Customers-With-30-PS3-Firmware-Update] that a Best Buy store in Staten Island, NY, was charging an extra thirty bucks for the PS3. This extra charge was apparently to cover the cost of updating the firmware, which as most of you will already know, doesn't actually cost a bean. Many took Best Buy to task for this "scam," but the retailer has defended itself, saying that updating firmware is just one part of what the charge covers.

Best Buy said that the charge was part of the "in-store and at home gaming set-up and customization services" it launched in 2008. The customers thirty dollars not only covered firmware updates, but also the creation of user accounts, the set up of parental controls, and a number of other components. In its statement, Best Buy said that it offered support on many of its products and games consoles were no different. It was aware that many gamers would not need the facility that the Geek Squad - Best Buy's team of technical support staff - provided for the PS3, but that it was there for those that did.

$30 for firmware updates sounds like a scam, but $30 for the peace of mind that if something goes wrong with your console you can call someone up and they will come and fix it? That's a whole other story. Most people, even those who are fairly technically minded, have probably encountered some problem that they wished they could offload on someone else, and that's exactly what this is. Admittedly, the signage could have been a lot better, but that's a whole other issue.

Source: Industry Gamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/best-buy-unapologetic-about-charging-30-for-ps3-firmware-updates/]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
So, again, this is still targeted at stupid people.

I knew they'd handle all of thate settings and stuff, too...That's generally a given with services similar to this one.

But let's face it, if you can't figure out how to do that, you probably can't launch a game on the PS3 without help, because the disc icon requires scrolling down the Game tab on the XMB past all the game data and trophy collection. Because the XMB is easy as fuck to navigate. With clear labels everywhere. And Geek Squad isn't going to be there every time you want to launch a game.

XMB = Cross Media Bar

That's right...that's not an "X" button on the PS controllers. It's a "Cross" button.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
The way I see it, if you're buying any gaming console, you at least know someone who is somewhat knowledgeable about them already. Be it your friend, your kid, or someone. I'm sure they could easily save you the 30 dollars.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
you see these hands? im using them to cover my butt
its the same reason people buy computers rather then making them - the extra charge is so you know that if something goes wrong, someone else is accountable

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Umm... you plug it in, click the "Update System" thing and let it update? Really, I think even my technology-challenged sister could figure that one out...

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
You don't have to buy it at Best Buy <.<

Its not like you couldn't go to the Geek Squad for a fix when you need it, for a price. But thats a price you pay when you need to not before.

If the $30 cover for the tech support for the entire life of the console than yes well worth the insurance cost. But if its for 30days? i say FUCK THAT JAZZ!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Daemascus said:
Wow, they covered their ass quick.
OMG. I just watched Window of Opportunity. Spooky.

scnj said:
Do people not read manuals any more?
I never read my PS3's manual. I still figured out how to set up accounts for me and my (then) girlfriend, operate it, update it, etc.

It's not an issue of reading but comprehension. For a lot of people this stuff is almost alien. Like I said in the comments of the thread first covering this, a lot of my work comes from helping people do very simple computer related tasks. They can't be bothered, don't understand, or don't want to screw their computers up. They pay me so they don't have to do it. And I'm up front on a lot of this. But it comes naturally to me and not to them. So....

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
This is not a scam. It's for bloody morons, true, but it's not a scam. A scam implies that they're taking your money and not giving you anything for it. They are providing a service to you, and they do what the service says they will. End of story. It's clearly intended for incredibly stupid people, but there must be a market for it.

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
Their marketing department is so good, they suck a lot. For dumb people it's a deal.. just look at all the features on the paper. Others would most probably think "wtf".

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
It just screams "Retailer wants moar money" to me - which, in all honesty does not surprise me

Notthatbright

Apr 13, 2010
Here's the real truth:

Margins for PS3 Hardware: Low.
Rent required by big box retailers in and around NY: High.

Solution: Raise margins through doing anything ANYTHING to raise the perceived value of a product.

I'm surprised NY stores don't restrict hardware sales to bundles only, like the shady Camera sellers operating in NY who always post low camera prices but wont sell unless you buy a lens, an expensive case, and other assorted high margin products.

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
I suppose that if they are helping you with the system setup it's not so bad.

A lot of parents buy their kids the systems and leave the children to fend for themselves.

This could be a simple solution.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
PREPARE THE FIREWALLS!

CHARGE!

Srsly....none of that is hard....just a very long and dull process

leeloodallasmultipass

THE Fifth Element
Mar 23, 2009
i dont see a problem. its called Economics. If the Consumer wants it, they shall utilise the service. if not, then the service will be useless.

Also Open your eyes people, not everyone is as technologically developed as us "gamers" nor lack the knowledge. They need help, and usually if they dont know someone who has a similar product to the one they have they seek external help usually through customer support or through paid advise/help services.

Also has anyone actually thought that not everyone has internet connections? or if internet perhaps not wireless? so they need somewhere to update their firmware/get in-store/home technical support/setup.

That is the thing about the wonderful world we live in, not everyone is the same as us, nor as technologically capable as us.

So guys get off your high horses about Best Buy ripping people off. no-one is out to get you, take off your tin foil hats and realise that some people may actually have to use this service, because they don't have people like us around to help them.