UK Sees Massive Surge in Used Game Outlets

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
UK Sees Massive Surge in Used Game Outlets

These days, there are 50% more stores in the UK that deal in used games than there were a scant year ago.

Earlier today, we reported that the increased prevalence of programs like EA's Project Ten-Dollar carried out by MCV UK [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104137-Online-Pass-Isnt-Hurting-Used-Game-Sales] suggests that used game retailers are more ubiquitous than ever.

The study revealed that there were an estimated 3,000 outlets in the United Kingdom that dealt in used game sales. This is a huge increase from last year's study, which counted a comparatively paltry 2,000 outlets during the same. In other words, in just a year the UK has seen the number of stores involved in the used game trade increase by nearly half, which is staggering.

Most of the increase can be attributed to non-specialty retailers throwing their hand in the mix. Supermarket chains Tesco and Asda have begun offering trade-in programs, as has general retailer Argos [http://www.argos.co.uk/]. GAME CEO Ian Shepherd doesn't particularly mind the competition, though.

"Our pre-owned business goes from strength-to-strength - it's a strong and growing part of our mix," said Shepherd. "No one can be bold enough to claim such a thing as 100 per cent share. Is there room for others in the market? Yes, there probably is."

It remains to be seen whether this increase in outlets offering used games will significantly affect the amount of used games traded in and sold, or if the amount will stay the same, just spread across new locations. Either way, the game publishers that have made the pre-owned trade such a contentious topic can't be happy with a surge of this magnitude.

(Edge [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/41214/Pre-owned-goes-mainstream])

Apr 28, 2008
Well considering new games over there are like, what, $80 USD I think? Its not surprising in the least.

I'm telling you, reducing prices is the key to more sales and more money.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Not surprising. Used games are one the big advantages traditional game retailers have over digital distribution. They're going to aggressively push that advantage in order to maximize their profits.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Well shops like this aren't helping

EVERYTHING is used, and is much cheaper than Game Or HMV

Above

Oct 3, 2009
Irridium said:
Well considering new games over there are like, what, $80 USD I think? Its not surprising in the least.

You sir,are correct!

:):) this cookie...may you Eat it well.

TheGameXXVII

Feb 1, 2010
i love being in the UK when it comes to used games, in my area there are 4 stores that sell pre-owned and each of them sell some good games a dirt cheap prices. i could go to my local Entertainment Exchange and get 5 half-decent PS2 games for under £7 if i looked hard enough for bargains.

used games are brilliant for me, especially when i can get new release games (like Halo: Reach and FIFA 11) for around £25 used, which is usually around £10 savings.

George Mooney

Apr 3, 2010
Irridium said:

This, I can't tell you how many times I've bought a game off of steam purely because it's cheap. I even buy multiple copies to send to friends so we can play together without even knowing if the game is good.

I wouldn't buy used though. Just cheap new.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
FinalDream said:
Trade in's are terrible nowadays, where ever you go.
I'm inclined to agree.

Game offered me £3 total for Hangover + Kick-Ass blu-rays. They sell the same blu-rays at £10 a pop.

CEX offered me £25 for them.

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
It's funny because GAME is actually a very poor shop when it comes to used games. I saw a copy of N3 in there for £7.99! £7.99! It's an absolute rip off in there. Now, GameStation, they give you more credit on trade-ins and their selection is bigger and cheaper.