Stan Lee's Next Big Thing: NHL Hockey Heroes

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Stan Lee's Next Big Thing: NHL Hockey Heroes

From comic books to television to superheroes wielding hockey sticks, Stan Lee can do it all.

Stan Lee's name can be found everywhere nowadays, with the famous superhero creator now becoming known for more than just comic books. Though his latest venture involves superheroes once again, these heroes mostly just hit a puck into a net.

The NHL has teamed up with Stan Lee to create Guardian Media Entertainment, which will oversee the Guardian Project: a set of 30 NHL-themed superheroes (one hero for each NHL team). These "Guardians" will incorporate "NHL elements," but their story won't take place on the ice.

The 30 heroes will be revealed during a presentation at the 2011 NHL All-Star Game on January 30, 2011, though a teaser will be shown at the New York Comic Con on October 8. The NHL and GME hope to bring a new audience of "tween boys" to the NHL, while also hoping to "engage the existing, established hockey fan base through a compelling tale of good vs. evil." I can understand the targeting of youths, but do they really think the hockey heroes are going to engage fans that cheer happily when players are knocking each others' teeth out?

Though the heroes may sound shallow, Lee says the Guardians will have an "epic story" behind them. They won't be based off of mascots, but they will feature powers based on their associated teams' names. For example, the Philadelphia Flyers hero will be able to fly, while the Calgary Flames hero will be able to control fire. The heroes will also have personal rivalries based on NHL team rivalries, and will exhibit "personal problems and hang-ups." This is starting to become less fun.

The Guardians are planned for use in comic books, a novel, mobile applications, television, and film. I think it's safe to say that Stan Lee will make anybody or anything into a superhero if the price is right, even an Anaheim Duck. You know, I can't really blame him: I like money too.

Source: USA Today [http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2010-10-06-superheroes08_ST_N.htm]

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
Some teams are going to have some cool super powers, but what about the Penguins, Ducks, and other teams. Is the Canucks super power going to be a Canadian?

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
ForgottenPr0digy said:
I can't wait to see the Dallas Stars superpower.
Either a Twilight vampire or the power to be a giant Fusion Reactor that produces super hot plasma?

On a side note isn't super hot plasma kind of redundant?

KP Shadow

Jul 7, 2009
Maybe the Canucks representative's power is... shooting mini canadians out of his hands?

Same thing for Penguins, Ducks, Stars, and such, they shoot penguins, ducks, stars, etc. out of their hands or other body parts.

I dunno, it makes about as much sense as card games on motorcycles.

bpm195

May 21, 2008
I wonder what the Philadelphia Flyer will do... Though I suppose the Broad Street Bully would be a great antagonist.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
I generally feel that the word "selling out" is blatantly overused, but, in this case I'll make an exception. This is about as sold out as sold out gets. I mean... really Mr. Lee? We're talking here about a guy who could, if he decided to take advantage of the resources available to him, produce just about any comic book story he wanted do. This is a guy who has the freedom and talent to create a brilliant masterpiece. But instead of that, he's doing a tie in comic book for the NHL? That just pisses me the hell off.

McShizzle

Jun 18, 2008
I like it. As long as I get to use Super Sidney Crosby's slapshot of awesome accuracy to nail the Diabolical Doofus Chris Pronger in his ugly mug.

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
McShizzle said:
I like it. As long as I get to use Super Sidney Crosby's slapshot of awesome accuracy to nail the Diabolical Doofus Chris Pronger in his ugly mug.
Flyers look better without Pronger in the game today =/.

cabalistics

May 4, 2009
Stan Lee has always been and will always be a bit of a hack but he's a charming hack and the kind of stuff that worked in the 60's does'nt really work now seriously almost everything he's done outside Marvel has been mediocre to awful

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
they already did something like this
Maybe they'll be in the series... what else can the Ducks do, except maybe all be extra-"mighty"?

The other was something like "The Real Sports Heroes" or something like that...
Starred Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, and one other guy... Bo Jackson, I think.
They all had super powers related to their sport.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Side Note: if they make the Redwings evil, I won't be watching it... though I wouldn't be surprised.

Brnin8

Jul 17, 2009
Toronto Maple Leafs could have the worst power ever, bad grammar. That, or shooting leaves out of their hands...

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
KP Shadow said:
Maybe the Canucks representative's power is... shooting mini canadians out of his hands?

Same thing for Penguins, Ducks, Stars, and such, they shoot penguins, ducks, stars, etc. out of their hands or other body parts.

I dunno, it makes about as much sense as card games on motorcycles.
You made me do it!

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I only see this getting slightly popular in Canada. Other than that, I speculate failure everywhere else.