Senator Yee Wants You to Send Him a Kinect Instead

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Senator Yee Wants You to Send Him a Kinect Instead

The office of California State Senator Leland Yee has issued a statement in response to the Kinect [http://www.videogamevoters.org/] instead.

The VGVN had a bright idea recently: Get gamers across the U.S. to mail their old or broken game controllers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104144-Mail-Your-Busted-Controllers-to-Leland-Yee] to Senator Leland Yee, the architect of the California videogame law going before the Supreme Court, to symbolically remind him that "he can't control us," or more to the point, that his attempt to breach the First Amendment protections of an entire medium is fundamentally flawed. It's a bit of an empty gesture since the Supreme Court is already lining up to render its judgment on the constitutionality of videogame censorship, but Yee's office nonetheless issued a response today.

"I can only assume these broken controllers must represent the broken promises of the video game industry to parents," Adam Keigwin, the Senator's chief of staff, told GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2010/10/08/yee-vgvn-initiative-send-us-kinect-instead].

"As the recipient of several free speech awards - including the Beacon Award by the First Amendment Coalition, Freedom of Information Award by the Newspaper Publishers Association, Outstanding Achievement Award by the College Media Association and Sunshine Award by the Society of Professional Journalists - the Senator shares their commitment to the First Amendment," he continued. "In fact, there is not a California legislator who has authored more bills to promote speech rights than Senator Yee."

The Senator's staunch support of the First Amendment as it relates to other media is admirable but short-circuited by his willingness to throw an entire medium under the bus, rather than specific content that's already excepted from constitutional protections, just because it's new.

Yee isn't entirely opposed to videogames, however, and his chief of staff clearly knows an opportunity when he sees one. "With that said," he concluded, "I think the Senator would appreciate a Kinect add-on rather than those dated controllers."

The Supreme Court of the United States is due to hear oral arguments in Schwarzenegger v. EMA/ESA on November 2.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
I stand by my previous statement that we should send him a Sega peripheral. If not him, then someone, because it would be so 'wtf'

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
He has to see what this will do if it passes...i really hope they all know its going to fail and they just want the govinator to look bad or something...i mean common guys....these are people's jobs your messing with...and some peoples sanity... i know a few people who just might of lost it if it wasent for people...no not people..friends that they have met over the internet.... this is a medium if any that creates bonds that no movie, book, or anything can make...dont kill it for all the people who love this medium and have fond memories of playing it with people who have passed.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Adam Keigwin said:
I can only assume these broken controllers must represent the broken promises of the video game industry to parents.
That's low, sir, not that I would expect anything else.

Also, senator Yee has an Xbox?

OT: This situation frankly saddens and perplexes me more and more with each and every outcome of its events.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Clever, especially seeing as motion controllers represent the exact kind of lobotomized gaming he wants us to wind up with.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Fascinating.

"In the past a lot of important people have given me awards. So I have to be right in every remotely related matter in the future."

I wish, just for one day in my life, that I could have this amout of illu... self confidence.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008

"Problem, officergamers?"

My photoshop-fu is weak, someone needs to make a trollface out of this guy's picture - clearly that's what he's doing.

ZehGeek

[-Militaires Sans Frontieres-]
Aug 12, 2009
Do I smell a new Jack Thompson? Cept this one's eaither more idiotic enough, or trying to be sly enough, to try and save 300 bucks. -.- *makes sure to send his controller, and some extra cables*

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
I can only assume these broken controllers must represent the broken promises of the video game industry to parents," Adam Keigwin, the Senator's chief of staff, told GamePolitics.
Fuck you, you smarmy asshole. Pull your head out of your ass.

-m

edit: Sorry, I shouldn't be so angry, but that comment really gets under my skin. What a fucking douche.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
The way I see it. Asking for a picture of a Kinect rather than a broken controller further encapsulates the idea. He is just going one step further, saying that if this proposition passes, control by the people is not only broken, it is gone. It is a non-existent controller, just like politicians and a breach on First Amendment rights show the people have no control over our lawmakers.

[EDIT] Sorry, in my excess to make a point I went too far, the "our lawmakers" should be "your lawmakers" I am Irish.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
i would send him one if i had one or got one from someone and i got money for it and not Canadian

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Matt_LRR said:
I can only assume these broken controllers must represent the broken promises of the video game industry to parents," Adam Keigwin, the Senator's chief of staff, told GamePolitics.

-m

edit: Sorry, I shouldn't be so angry, but that comment really gets under my skin. What a fucking idiot.
You are fuly forgive, but only because I was basically about to say the same thing.

We try to say that you cannot control our medium, our entertainment. An entire GROUP of people have stood up to send you these controllers and shove our opinions and our voice in your face, and you tell us that we're trying to back you, to protest promises of the videogame companies?

As Matt so wonderfully put it: FUCK YOU!

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
teh_Canape said:
I know, send him a Rez Trance-Vibrator, maybe he'll know where to put it
Ninja'd! What size do you think? I was thinking either grizzly bear or rhinoceros.
Beacon Award by the First Amendment Coalition, Freedom of Information Award by the Newspaper Publishers Association, Outstanding Achievement Award by the College Media Association and Sunshine Award by the Society of Professional Journalists
Did they just make up those award names? Either way, if he truly cares about the First Amendment, why make exceptions for one medium over another? I've got an award for him: The Associated Lite-Brite CriticalHippo Award. He should know that if video games receive extensive censorship, his dreams of a stripper sim for Kinect will be blown out of the water.

theaceplaya

Jul 20, 2009
I'll send him a Kinect AND a new Xbox, both unopened. Let's see what his smarmy ass will say them.

Don't know what he's like in real life, but he sounds like a bit of a jerk.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Matt_LRR said:

-m
My first thoughts exactly. There are no broken promises to parents - there are games and there are warnings about the content on the boxes. If parents haven't been paying attention to those warnings that's entirely their fault.