NYCC 2010: Playing Goldeneye Like It's 1997

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
NYCC 2010: Playing Goldeneye Like It's 1997

Activision's remake of the classic shooter on the Nintendo 64 is updated for the Wii and it brought back memories of trash talking in college dorm rooms.

It's 1997 and the Nintendo 64 has already had a couple of breakout hits like Mario 64. When Rare came out with Goldeneye, many were quick to dismiss it as a cheap movie tie-in of the James Bond film with the same name, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Goldeneye was a great shooter, and millions of people played hours of split screen mayhem from the frenetic Slappers Only to one-shot License to Kill in the Complex. The singleplayer wasn't too bad either, with passable representations of Pierce Brosnan and Sean Bean duking it out in a story that followed the film closely. In talking to James Lodato, Associate Producer at Activision for the Wii remake, it's clear that the devs approached the project with the same love and admiration that I felt for the game.

"The original game was really genre-defining," Lodato told me at New York Comic Con. "It brought multiplayer shooters to the console." Lodato pointed to the four fans demoing the game in the busy Javits Center. "That's exactly what we did. Four people on a couch, playing on a splitscreen, nudging each other like this. It was a real social experience." We swapped war stories of fighting for the best controller (hopefully one that didn't rattle when you shook it) and dealing with the tangled cables.

"With such a monumental title, it was really important that we stay very authentic to the Goldeneye feel," Lodato said. Despite that, the decision was made to update the game for today's James Bond and modern gamers. Daniel Craig has a much different voice and physicality than Pierce Brosnan did in the movie Goldeneye and Lodato said they were careful to represent that with his voice-acting and motion capture. Judi Dench makes a return as M but unfortunately, Sean Bean couldn't reprise his role as the villain.

"In order to update the story properly, we employed Bruce Bierstein, who wrote the screenplay for Goldeneye the movie," Lodato said. "He came onsite with us and updated his own script. He sat down with us an updated the dialogue and some of the locations. You can't get more authentic than that."

Sitting down on the couch to play Goldeneye, I had a premonition that it wasn't going live up to my memories of the original. I do have to say that one big drawback was the controller. Playing with Nintendo's updated "classic" controller for the Wii just didn't feel the same as the actually classic N64 controller. I picked the same character that I always did back in the day, the assassin Xenia Onatopp, but I just couldn't get into the groove and got killed several times by the Golden Gun. I think the problem was that I picked a sniper rifle loadout and didn't have the same firepower that I was used to. Wait, what? Loadouts? This definitely isn't the Goldeneye that I remember.

All of the old characters that you could play with return like Oddjob (Cheater!) or Jaws, but Activision has also added over 50 other characters that you can choose to play as in multiplayer matches. There's tons of new weapons and tricky grenades, but the old weapons are also there, like the Klobb. Damn, I hated that gun, but thankfully, the Klobb doesn't end up on seemingly every map; Lodato said that it's a little hidden in this game.

Another addition is online multiplayer. You still have to use Friend Codes ("We weren't going to change Nintendo's mind on that one.") but Lodato assures me that it is seamless. You can play with up to 8 people online and share and track stats. "You can now play Goldeneye with someone in another state, whereas before you had to be on the same couch. "

All of what I heard sounded great, but my experience playing Goldeneye was a series of contradictions. It's similar to the old game but not. It's authentic but also updated. It's Classic but Modern. All at the same time. I'll pass judgment when I play it live, and get the old crew from my dorm room back together, but it's possible that Activision may be trying to put lips on a duck. Some old classics deserve to be kept that way.

pretentiousname01

Sep 30, 2009
As much as I want this game to be good. I dare not trust them to keep from screwing it up.

Nostalgia rules this title, that is not something that you can replicate.

Also boo for replacing bonds on us.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
From the article I read this is not an update but rather a re-imagining which bears little resemblance to the original classic. Why ignore the hundreds of thousands of fans that simply wanted an HD version with minor tweaks.

Changing to rechargeable health, throwing away characters and completely changing levels is a blatant cash in on a name and cheating a generation.

I don't think my Wii will be getting a significant usage increase anytime soon.

Disappointed.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Interesting...When I played it yesterday, I had a blast with the multiplayer. It was me, my buddy, and another random person and it was great. We were trashtalking and screen hopping and laughing at the antics in-game. "Dr.No! LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU! ITS BORIS!" Just one of the many hysterical quotes that came out of that game in the brief 15minutes we had of playing it.

It definitely brought me back to the old days and with that Classic Controller, it was all the better. It is definitely on my radar.

TLatshaw

Aug 30, 2010
About "not screwing it up": Sometimes I'm afraid people concentrate on this nebulous aspect so greatly and build up such nostalgic-goggled expectations that no matter what the new game does, they will still feel disappointed.

I think it's best if we all just took a breath and didn't psych ourselves out of enjoying a game before we even get a chance to touch it.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Considering a Wii isn't on my radar anytime soon, I will have to be satisfied with playing the original. But for Wii-players, they deserve a good Goldeneye game. If somebody were to make a controller much the same as the 64, this would definitely make it a win.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
cursedseishi said:
Huh, shame they didn't just let you use a GC controller, as that is essentially a N-64 controller (from what memory serves).
samsonguy920 said:
If somebody were to make a controller much the same as the 64, this would definitely make it a win.
It will be playable with the classic controller peripheral, for those who don't care for motion aiming. It's not the same button layout as an N64 (more like an SNES controller with an extra pair of shoulder buttons and a pair of analogue sticks), but it's close enough.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
MrGFunk said:
From the article I read this is not an update but rather a re-imagining which bears little resemblance to the original classic. Why ignore the hundreds of thousands of fans that simply wanted an HD version with minor tweaks.

Changing to rechargeable health, throwing away characters and completely changing levels is a blatant cash in on a name and cheating a generation.

I don't think my Wii will be getting a significant usage increase anytime soon.

Disappointed.
Because Perfect Dark is GoldenEye but better. Just download that.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Greg Tito said:
It's 1997 and the Nintendo 64 has already had a couple of breakout hits like Mario 64 and the Ocarina of Time.
I wasn't aware of that time travel to November of 1998 was common in 1997. >_>

(OoT was a November/December 1998 game.)

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
cursedseishi said:
starwarsgeek said:
It will be playable with the classic controller peripheral, for those who don't care for motion aiming. It's not the same button layout as an N64 (more like an SNES controller with an extra pair of shoulder buttons and a pair of analogue sticks), but it's close enough.
Yes, because we totally skipped over the detail where the author mentioned the classic controller. The classic controller IS a Super Nintendo controller, with the analog sticks added in the center.

My point was that it's a shame they didn't give an option to play using the GC controller, that several other Wii games share. The Gamecube controller is essentially a N64 controller, updated to have the analog stick as the main source of movement and the central prong removed, with 3 additional buttons placed upon it at more convenient locations, along with the Z being moved to a shoulder.

Barring that, I'd end up recommending the Classic Pro controller instead, as I can't imagine using the basic classic one would be too comfortable for a shooter, its mainly for all the non-shooter VC games.
How is a gamecube controller even remotely like an N64 controller.
I have both lying around, and I really can't say they have much in common.
Also, the analog sticks on Gamecube controllers suck.
The N64 analog stick was better, but far too fragile. (once it wore out, it was almost unusable)

Anyway, the GC controller has a totally different shape, completely different button layout, different placement of the analog sticks, and analog triggers.
It actually has 2 less buttons than an N64 controller, but makes up for it with a second analog stick.

I just don't see how you can say they're all that much alike.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
I hope this is like the Perfect Dark update, same game sold as the same game with online multiplayer. It sounds like they are selling Goldeneye 2(the golden revenge) as the original Goldeneye.

It bugs me that they are updating it (at the expense of keeping it intact) rather than just selling it as the game I played and would have paid for.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
...and I had this one pre-ordered. Might go cancel it if I hear more 'meh' news about it.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I never played Goldeneye. The only N64 game I played were Mario and Mario Kart 64 and 1080 Snowboarding. If I get a chance I may try it out. I have fond memories of James Bond Nightfire.

Tukadian

Sep 22, 2010
I was a huuuuge goldeneye fan back in the day, so the other day when I was at the flea market and saw a N64 with Goldeneye for 50$ I quickly snapped it up. We hooked it up to the bigscreen tv, got four of us on the couch and booted it up, all giddy with anticipation.
#1 - Did not age well at all! Wow, it was really hard to try and pick out what was what in some levels, the temple mainly.
#2 - Still hectic and fun, plenty of laughs, but a lot of the laughs came from trying to target eachother with the aiming system. I think we've all gotten way too used to how easy it is to circle-strafe now on COD or whatever you play. It was insanely hard to line-up a head-shot in multiplayer with everybody running around like mad.
So while the nostalgia of playing with an old N64 controller may be there, it's actually not as much fun in practice. I'm looking forward to trying this out on the wii, with controls that make it easy to line up shots, and with updated graphics so we can determine faces on a big screen tv. Not sure what to think about weapon load-outs though, that kinda seems like an odd move to me.

Trikeen

Feb 17, 2009
Does anybody else find it odd that they're altering the story of a game BASED ON A FILM!?

The original took liberties in the first place; When all is said and done the only thing this new GoldenEye will have in common with the original film will be it's name.

JC175

Feb 27, 2009
Greg Tito said:
There's tons of new weapons and tricky grenades, but the old weapons are also there, like the Klieg.
The Klieg? You mean the Klobb, I'm guessing? Or have they gone ahead and renamed it?