NYCC 2010 Hands On: Donkey Kong Country Returns

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
NYCC 2010 Hands On: Donkey Kong Country Returns

The big ape is back and looking pretty good in Nintendo's new take on a beloved franchise.

Donkey Kong Country was a must-have for the Super Nintendo because of its gorgeous graphics, thumb-breaking platforming, and OCD-inducing collectibles. Nintendo is channeling the spirit of that franchise with Donkey Kong Country Returns [http://www.amazon.com/Donkey-Kong-Country-Returns-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B003ZHMMEM/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1286810359&sr=1-1], due out for the Wii on November 21.

I was a huge Donkey Kong Country fan, so I was a bit concerned that the Wii-ification of the franchise would mean a bunch of ridiculous waggling. This is the company that had you smacking congas to get DK to move, after all. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that while there is a bit of waggle, for the most part it makes sense and even feels reminiscent of the original controls. DKC Returns uses the Remote/Nunchuk configuration, using the thumbstick to steer and A button to jump. Shaking both controllers makes DK pound the ground, which can break blocks of stone or, in the level I played, spin a giant screw into the ground. Shaking the remote while you're moving left or right will send DK into a roll, which can not only defeat enemies but also help him cross short gaps - very handy when you're trying to snag a tile or puzzle piece that seems just out of reach. The controls were nicely responsive, which is vital to a game that requires such precise platforming.

In the single player version of the game, Diddy rides around on DK's back, providing him with two extra hit points of health and also giving him a boost from his jet pack. I wouldn't think a jet pack would be a wise idea for someone covered in fur, but the extra time in the air definitely has its uses. Get hit twice and Diddy leaves you, but you can pick him up again by finding a barrel emblazoned with "DK" and breaking it open. In co-op mode, Player 2 is free to ride around on DK's shoulders or venture off on his own, as he sees fit. He can still use the jet pack, and he also has access to a long-range gun that can clear a path as DK runs along. It's not very powerful, but every little bit helps.

The plat forming is classic DKC, and even the environments will feel familiar to fans of the original game. I didn't encounter King K-Rool or any of his minions, but the new enemies I found - very angry birds and drums - were just formidable enough to add challenge without feeling cheap or aggravating. The action was 2D, though at times DK could move into the screen - via exploding barrel, of course - to another section of platforms. There were loads of collectibles, too: the expected balloons, bananas, and K-O-N-G tiles, but there are puzzle pieces and dandelions, too. I have no idea what they all get you - and the Nintendo rep wouldn't say - but if Returns follows traditional form, they'll rack up your Extra Lives tally.

The boss fight I tried was also very nicely old school. An enormous hypnotized toad (insert joke here) hopped back and forth at me (and swallowed me a few times, ew); jumping on his back when his spikes weren't extended was the way to take him out.

So far, so good. Donkey Kong Country Returns seems to be blending the old school play of its predecessors with the modern controls of the Wii very nicely. Can't wait to play more when it comes out next month.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
The plat forming is classic DKC
So infuriatingly difficult with horrible checkpoints?

Awesome!

If this is going to be really true to form however this one had better have a very disturbing game over screen.

TLatshaw

Aug 30, 2010
I've been intrigued mostly so far by the level designs. I actually miss Rare's variety a little but have been hopeful Retro mixes it up.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
Optimus Hagrid said:
If this is going to be really true to form however this one had better have a very disturbing game over screen.
Finally! I thought I was weird for being the only one hoping for that. Here's a video for those who don't know what we're talkin' about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR83Ius342I

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
I hope it's ridiculously difficult, but you can get hit twice and only lose your ability to hover as a penalty? I hope the combat is revved up accordingly or the platforming makes up for it. DKC2 was the hardest of the 3 I think but I'm all for an even more insane challenge. Also, how was the music? How could you give a hands-on review of Donkey Kong Country without mentioning the songs you heard? The music of the originals (especially the 2nd) was amazing and iconic and really made the games stand out. I honestly think DKC2 has a top 3 spot on my favorite video game soundtracks of all time. If this game doesn't do the others justice, I'll consider it a letdown.
Overall, I trust Retro to deliver an amazing game. I feel like they know their shit over there and would rather die than be responsible for a less-than-superb entry to a beloved and classic franchise.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
TLatshaw said:
I've been intrigued mostly so far by the level designs. I actually miss Rare's variety a little but have been hopeful Retro mixes it up.
I think this is the most important. The original DKC games were great because there was variety
in gameplay from level to level.

Gonna miss K.Rool and his insane pink eye. Let's hope that the new baddies can live up to them.

KingGolem

Jun 16, 2009
I'm quite excited about this one. Donkey Kong Country was literally the first video game I ever had, so I'm glad to hear that this revival is going well. I'll definitely be getting it in November.

Ubervelt

Aug 22, 2010
As long as they do NOT touch the ending music for the King Kruel battle and leave it there, this game will no doubt be awesome and I will buy a wii just to play this game.

Here is what I'm talking about; (although you people should already know what I'm talking about)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQU7ml26JVM

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
The urge to play DKC again is one I haven't had in quite some time. Although, the likewise urge to play through DK64 again is an odd one.

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
"plat forming" typo.
On-topic, I never played any of the original DKC games... they've always been these mystical treasures from a time before the great calamity, so I'll be interested to see how this turns out and if it'll spark any interest to dig out the old ones.