GREEDo Shoots First

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
So, no longer putting Critical Miss in the title now, eh?

I was expecting an Escapist article on the greed involved with remakes or something.

I was pleasantly surprised to find standard Star Wars fanboy stuff!

Yeah. I've never seen the original trilogy, and when I do, it will be the remakes. And I take it as a point of pride that I've ignored the peer pressure to see these movies for this long.

Okay, not totally true. I saw them when I was 5-6, but you can't really ENJOY a movie at that age.

Edit:

I've added them to my Netflix queue. They're at about position 10, but I've got a Mel Brooks marathon going on. Except for "Silent Movie". I just don't like that one.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Extendo boxing glove ftw! If that really did get implemented it'd almost be worth Greedo shooting first...almost... :)

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
"A New Hope" won't be out until like 2016, and even then it will only be re-released if the first three do well enough.

Yensei

Sep 13, 2010
GrinningManiac said:
Still don't understand the significance of whatsisface shooting first or not. Why does it matter?
Because it turns Solo in to a justified wimp instead of a dangerous outlaw? I guess...

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Lucas is releaseing Star Wars in 3D. Films that weren't recorded with 3D technology are getting converted into 3D. Now let your mind wander over other recent releases that were converted into 3D. This won't be the Star Wars Avatar, this will be the Star Wars Clash of the Titans...

GrinningManiac said:
Still don't understand the significance of whatsisface shooting first or not. Why does it matter?
In the original release, Han Solo shot Greedo while they were talking. It set him up as a badass. In the "updated" version, Lucas decided that it made Han look too mean and edited the scene so Greedo shoots at Han first, and then Han fires back in self defence. It was the principle of the thing that pissed people off. There was no need for the change, nobody was bothered and it was basically a symbol of Lucas doing everything waaaay to family friendly.

JammasterJG

May 23, 2009
i would not be surprised if this was what it was like...

...or this: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/9/22/

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
Yensei said:
GrinningManiac said:
Because it turns Solo in to a justified wimp instead of a dangerous outlaw? I guess...
Pretty much. It defines Han's character for the first film. When he shoots first it shows that he is dangerous and unpredictable. Therefore Luke and Obi Wan have chosen the wrong person to protect them. It brings in uncertainty and doubt, and makes his transformation at the end of the film much more important.

Mar 16, 2009
I will admit. I laughed hard. I don't know why you didn't call this one Critical Miss (I still read it for morbid curiosity), but either way I laughed.

Also Deathlyphil got it right.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:

I was expecting an Escapist article on the greed involved with remakes or something.

Yeah. I've never seen the original trilogy, and when I do, it WILL be the remakes. And I take this as a point of pride.

Okay, not totally true. I saw them when I was 5-6, but you can't really ENJOY a movie at that age.
I agree on what I expected clicking this. I like the Critical Miss comics, but I was thinking about something else. I don't, however, get the "point of pride." It seems really silly to be proud to have not seen the original versions.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Yeah. I've never seen the original trilogy, and when I do, it WILL be the remakes. And I take this as a point of pride.

I agree on what I expected clicking this. I like the Critical Miss comics, but I was thinking about something else. I don't, however, get the "point of pride." It seems really silly to be proud to have not seen the original versions.
I'm not proud of that, exactly. I proud of resisting the "peer pressure" to see them. They don't look like they'd tickle my fancy, and I'm not going to watch them just to satisfy some imaginary "movies you have to see" quota.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Why is that something to be proud of? I just don't get it. It's like saying "I've only seen the Kevin Costner Robin Hood movie and I'm proud that I will never see the Errol Flynn one."

Even ignoring that people who really like the movies (back to Star Wars now, though it still applies to Robin Hood) mostly agree that the one you won't see is better, it's still strange. "I'm proud that I'm going to ignore a major cinematic milestone" is just a weird thing to say.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Jandau said:
Lucas is releaseing Star Wars in 3D. Films that weren't recorded with 3D technology are getting converted into 3D. Now let your mind wander over other recent releases that were converted into 3D. This won't be the Star Wars Avatar, this will be the Star Wars Clash of the Titans...

GrinningManiac said:
In the original release, Han Solo shot Greedo while they were talking. It set him up as a badass. In the "updated" version, Lucas decided that it made Han look too mean and edited the scene so Greedo shoots at Han first, and then Han fires back in self defence. It was the principle of the thing that pissed people off. There was no need for the change, nobody was bothered and it was basically a symbol of Lucas doing everything waaaay to family friendly.
Ah, I see!

So the argument is not about whether Greedo shot first, but, rather, the argument is about whether or not Greedo shooting first was a good idea!

It makes sense now! I thought people were genuinely arguing over whether or not Greedo actually fired first!

Aha, thanks!