Mass Effect 2 Will Be Empire Strikes Back

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Mass Effect 2 Will Be Empire Strikes Back

Mass Effect 2 is going to be noticeably more grim than its predecessor, said producer Casey Hudson - drawing comparisons to the darker middle act in the original Star Wars trilogy.

Sure, both A New Hope and Return of the Jedi had their downer moments, but as a general rule of thumb they were pretty positive movies - they had happy endings, for one. Not so with The Empire Strikes Back: By the end of Empire, Han is frozen in carbonite, the Rebel Alliance is scattered, Luke has had his hand chopped off - and has learned some distressing information about his long-lost family dynamics.

(By the way, if you're one of the 10 people on the planet who hasn't seen the original Star Wars movies, I just spoiled you. Sorry.)

The upcoming sequel to Bioware's space opera Mass Effect will be the Empire of the series, says producer Casey Hudson. Hudson confirms what many suspected after the first trailer revealed that Commander Shepard had supposedly been KIA (not that we believe such things, of course) - ME2 is going to be darker than the first game.

Of course, that's simply just good narrative convention - not everything can go well for the heroes all the time, can it? As Hudson puts it: "They say in the first act you put a guy in the tree, in the second act you throw rocks at him, and in the third act you get him down."

Nor is Hudson saying that the first Mass Effect was all hugs and sunshine, either. The game "introduced a lot of really dark ideas," explained Hudson. "But you just get a peek into it in Mass Effect 1. In Mass Effect 2, it's about really exposing that and letting you see it and letting you see how scary that would be when it's on the scale we're talking about."

"The fun of the second story is that now we know who these characters are, we know what the situation is and we can really beat up the hero of this story and take you to the most brutal parts of the Mass Effect universe."

One can't help but wonder if Commander Shepard will have some surprising revelations of his/her very own about his/her paternity. Admittedly, it's one of the oldest tropes in the book, so I wouldn't be too surprised here.

(1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174306])

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Sovereign: Captain Anderson never told you what happened to your father...
Shepard: He told me enough! He told me you killed him!
Sovereign: No, Shepard. I AM your father.
Shepard: That's not true! That's physically impossible!
Sovereign: Search your feelings, you know it to be true!

But seriously, I like the darker look of Mass Effect 2 already, and like I've said before, as long as it makes noticeable improvements on the already stellar ME 1, I'll be content.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
The_Oracle said:
My thoughts exactly. Good to see I'm not the only one that jumps to that joke.

Zephyr892

Mar 15, 2009
What you mean they say the second game in their trilogy is going to be the best one?

Better yet maybe this time around the game will be above mediocre. "Yay another barren empty planet to drive around aimlessly for no apparent reason for"

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
does that mean in number 3 we get ashley and liara in slave girl outfits??? :)

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
broken-serenity said:
does that mean in number 3 we get ashley and liara in slave girl outfits??? :)
I'll settle for form fitting studded black leather. :p

>>>----Therumancer--->

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
Zephyr892 said:
What you mean they say the second game in their trilogy is going to be the best one?

Better yet maybe this time around the game will be above mediocre. "Yay another barren empty planet to drive around aimlessly for no apparent reason for"
They specified that as one of the things they are working to improve in Mass Effect 2.

All I can say is that every tidbit I get about this game is just making me swell with excitement. Pathetic? Yes. Justified? Very much so.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I look forward to this. And the robotic hand that Shepard is surely going to get after it is chopped off by an angry Anderson. Maybe it can be like the Bionic Commando's arm.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
And then crawl back out just in time to kick ass in the third one, but now with even more scars.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Andy_Panthro said:
Does this mean we will also get a really bad prequel trilogy?
No, because the microbombs I embedded in the developers' spines are set to go off as soon as they've finished the Mass Effect trilogy as a whole.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
The_Oracle said:
Andy_Panthro said:
Does this mean we will also get a really bad prequel trilogy?
No, because the microbombs I embedded in the developers' spines are set to go off as soon as they've finished the Mass Effect trilogy as a whole.
Ah, thanks for that! ;)

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
The_Oracle said:
Sovereign: And as a child i built the SSV Normandy
Shepard: That's ... That's improbable
Sovereign: And Ashley Williams is your sister
Shepard: That's possible
Sovereign: The Force is just tiny organisms called midiclorians
Shepard: Ok if you're not going to take this seriously i'm outta here

Shepard leaves

well hopefully it lives up to the standard of other Bioware games. guess i should finish the first one tho

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Hrm. Well, if the trend in good storytelling continues, I won't be disappointed.

I'll be getting this when it comes out myself, as I'm a big fan of ME.

SG Xibalba

Feb 9, 2009
wow. i would have never considered this is it wasn't for The Escapist. [/sarcasm filter off]

...slow news day guys? =/