Sonic Colors Designed to Appeal to Mario Fans

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sonic Colors Designed to Appeal to Mario Fans

He's not about to start wearing overalls, but that doesn't mean that Sonic hasn't learnt a few tricks from a certain mustachioed plumber.

Fifteen years ago, the idea of a Sonic the Hedgehog game on a Nintendo platform seemed ludicrous. But times change and now Sega is designing Sonic games with Nintendo platforms at the forefront of its mind.

In an interview where he talked about the design of various elements in Sonic Colors [http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Colors-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002I0IIPY/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1286884478&sr=1-1], Sonic Team's Takashi Iizuka said that in recent years Sega had been able to introduce a lot of new fans to the Sonic games, and especially Nintendo fans thanks to a number of games made exclusively for the DS and Wii. Iizuka said that Sonic Team had changed the design of Sonic Colors to appeal to this new audience, who he thought might not be familiar with the Sonic brand and gameplay. He was hopeful that people who are more used to playing Mario games would be able to enjoy Colors' gameplay.

Despite ostensibly being designed with kids in mind [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102785-Sonic-Colors-Not-Meant-For-Core-Audience], Colors has received a very positive reception from Sonic fans, so it would seem that cribbing a few ideas from Mario has really paid off. Sonic Colors will be available for Wii and DS on November 11th in Australia, November 12th in Europe and November 16th in North America.

Source: IGN [http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/112/1127004p2.html]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Hey, it looks really solid to me, and when PSN updates today, I'll know if Sonic 4 is any good, too. They went the right route with Colors by making the Day Levels of Unleashed the focus of the game. Which were fun, until I had to start doing the night levels to unlock the day levels.

I might actually buy two Sonic games this year.

Tales of Golden Sun

Dec 18, 2008
Well I guess someone will be angry about this. The ultimate sonic fan will see this as treachery of the lowest kind.
Not that I care though.

Bob_Bobbington

Oct 27, 2008
AC10 said:
Antitonic said:
Wait... Australia gets it first?

REPENT! THE END IS NIGH!
I find that even more amazing than a good Sonic game!
I think that should be the main focus of the article. This is breaking news for Australian gamers. Imagine, Australians not having to wait for ridiculously long times for games and movies to be released.

...*sigh* A man can dream.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Wait... Mario and Sonic used to be polar opposites in side-scrolling platformers, and now Sonic is trying to be like Mario..... WHAT?

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Let's see... I've been a Mario fan since the late 80's, and a Sonic fan since the early 90's...

I'm still a Mario fan, and unquestionably remained a Sonic fan until I played Sonic Heroes.

Doesn't that mean that Sonic appealed to Mario fans from the very beginning, and only managed to lose its way in more recent years?

And, yes, both Sonic 4 (despite its unoriginality) and Sonic Colors do appeal to me.

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
JediMB said:
Let's see... I've been a Mario fan since the late 80's, and a Sonic fan since the early 90's...

Doesn't that mean that Sonic appealed to Mario fans from the very beginning, and only managed to lose its way in more recent years?
I agree, I've been a fan of both sonic and mario while growing up, so all this would do is try to get the really hardocore mario fans to think about it.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Well, since Mario has remained a success the whole time (people complaining about lack of innovation aside), and sonic has mostly failed miserably, this can only be a good thing right?

Obviously, you shouldn't overdo it, but clearly having a look at why Mario still works should be worth it.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
If you're going to mention Sonic games that were on Nintendo platforms, at least mention the good ones. How have Sonic Wii games gotten more fans?

Anyone who answers with their younger sister playing Mario and Sonic at the olympics, dies.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Antitonic said:
Wait... Australia gets it first?

REPENT! THE END IS NIGH!
*digs bombshelter*

OT: I'm guessing colours sorry, "colors" gets some inspiration from Galaxy then. Sonic's new friends remind me of that game.

[sub][sub]I haven't played a sonic game since Sonic 2...[/sub][/sub]