Former Marine Officer Mulls Over Medal of Honor

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Former Marine Officer Mulls Over Medal of Honor

A former Marine Corps officer writes in a very thoughtful NPR column on EA's new Medal of Honor [http://www.amazon.com/Medal-Honor-Xbox-360/dp/B000TI836G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286901006&sr=8-1] that he doesn't like the game's depiction of the ongoing war in Afghanistan but acknowledges that no nation should have the right to "govern fiction."

EA's Medal of Honor was released today in North America and presumably that means that we can finally stop reading about what other people think of it and start formulating our own opinions instead. But this excellent NPR essay [http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130435221] on the game by former Marine Corps officer and Iraq War veteran Benjamin Busch, in which he points out some obvious but occasionally forgotten truths about the difference between videogames and war, is well worth a read before we move on to other things.

"I honestly don't like that Medal of Honor depicts the war in Afghanistan right now, because - even as fiction - it equates the war with the leisure of games. Changing the name of the enemy doesn't change who it is," he wrote. "But what nation or military has the right to govern fiction? Banning the representation of an enemy is imposing nationalism on entertainment. The game cannot train its players to be actual skilled special operations soldiers, nor is it likely to lure anyone into Islamic fundamentalism. It can grant neither heroism nor martyrdom. What it does do is make modern war into participatory cinema."

"But imagine how frustrating this game would be if, just as you began to play it, an invisible sniper shot you dead every time," he continued. "The game would not be popular, because being killed that way isn't fair - just like war. Reality has a way of correcting misconceptions."

Busch described Medal of Honor, and war games in general, as "sedentary adventurism in need of a subject," and had a rather grim message for anyone who sees more than that in it. "The truth is that there are two ways out of Afghanistan: wounds or luck. Proficiency is only part of surviving the randomness of death, and playing games will not protect or endanger soldiers or governments," he wrote. "Gamers inspired to join the Taliban, should talk to John Walker Lindh first. And for those who truly want to play for a Medal of Honor, recruiters are standing by. Only eight have been awarded since we invaded Afghanistan. All but one have been posthumous."

Medal of Honor was released today for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
You mean to say I can't reload from a previous save in real life?

THIS IS MADNESS!

[sub]Also: duh.[/sub]

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
well there go my plans to use this as a training tool for my future in the Taliban.... *shake fist*

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Very cool of this guy to go out of his way to write about this. For all of our men and women in arms, they get my support. I can definitely understand his sentiments on the subject and I agree with his feelings on the subject.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Someone finally argues about this game with a calm and civil manner instead of outright bashing it and demanding it be removed from existence (I'm talking to you Jack Thompson and every government in the world).

He lays out some simple truth's and further explains things in detail. I salute you good sir.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
What I wonder is if the war in Afghanistan was over and this was made what would the reaction to it be if

a. ISAF 'won' by a lot (stable peace and withdrawal)

b. ISAF 'lost' by a lot (massive military and political defeat then forced withdrawal)

c. ISAF 'won' by a little (a sort of peace and withdrawal)

d. ISAF 'lost' by a little (status quo of the early 2000s returns after/and withdrawal)

Even though you couldn't 'win' or 'lose' it but somehow just get out it would still be seen as another Vietnam and the particular period that the game depicts is the only bit of the 8 year on-going campaign that you could have seen as 'conventional warfare'

OT: It really is the opinions of the armed forces that should be considered when discussing the ins and outs of a 'realistic modern conflict' game/movie/book/play/whatever.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"But what nation or military has the right to govern fiction? Banning the representation of an enemy is imposing nationalism on entertainment.
Hasn't everyone resigned to the fact that America can do whatever it wants these days?

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
While i totally agree with this man on the point of Viewing Modernern conflicts or even Specific ones ( e.g. I dont think a game set in Belfast in the 1970's would or sell for that matter) I think it would be more the way the game goes around with its presentation of the confict, and the whole name change deal was just idiotic to be said.

On another note, Dieing over and over from a hidden sniper miles away? I find oddly enjoyible only because i played Flashpoint to utter death, and the appeal of sudden unforgiving death hightened the game itself.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Awesome piece. Well said and well needed on all points I think. It might seem just like 'common knowledge' to us...but sometimes such knowledge is not as common as most might think. Both within and outside the gamer communities.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Bobzer77 said:
Andy Chalk said:
"But what nation or military has the right to govern fiction? Banning the representation of an enemy is imposing nationalism on entertainment.
Hasn't everyone resigned to the fact that America can do whatever it wants these days?
Not really, no.
Ruairi iliffe said:
On another note, Dieing over and over from a hidden sniper miles away? I find oddly enjoyible only because i played Flashpoint to utter death, and the appeal of sudden unforgiving death hightened the game itself.
Well, that and there were funny quotes when you died. Still, the original OFP had a tension to it I haven't seen in another game since.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Changing the name of the enemy doesn't change who it is," he wrote. "

Yes! Exactly! Jack Thompson, I hope you read this sentence sir. You have no right to call gamers asses or whatever you called us in your interview.

L4hlborg

Jul 11, 2009
Invisible snipers do have a bad habbit of spawn killing you in games. I guess making horrible spawn systems makes Halo: Reach and MW2 makes them realistic.

I was completely against censoring Taliban out of MOH, but this guy does have a point. MOH is probably not exactly art that shows how horrible war is. It is more likely an explosion filled adrenaline adventure, which kinda gives the wrong picture. Haven't played the game so I can't say for sure though.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
From that brief synopsis it sounds like he's got his head screwed on just right. I look forward to reading the whole thing after class; reasoned opinion is so hard to come by these days.

EDIT:
Having now read the entire thing (it's a short article, go read the whole thing) I find it hard to disagree in any capacity with what Mr Busch is saying. The guy said in a few short paragraphs what the majority of us cannot in 65-page threads.

His line, "In the real "war gaming" of the invasion and occupation of Afghanistan, perhaps the Pentagon should have allowed someone to play as the Taliban," made me chuckle a little, but even while he's making a joke he's making a point. You don't often come across something with a point to make in every single sentence.

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
Ruairi iliffe said:
Well, that and there were funny quotes when you died. Still, the original OFP had a tension to it I haven't seen in another game since.[/quote]

Oh man, i'd almost forgot about those.

And to add to the Topic, What Wars or Conflicts can be presented in games? Should the way they are made and played more relivent, such as making them more or less realisitic to appease diffrent groups?

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
This guy knows what he is talking about, and hit every nail on the head with a hammer made of common sense. I salute you good sir.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
This man gets it. Regulating something just because a few people are offended goes against our freedoms. But those who are genuinely offended aren't wrong for it. It seems sad that common sense is becoming less and less common...

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
WHAT? Medal of Honor is just a game, not actual war? How come I wasn't told this sooner? /sarcasm

Points for saying that the government and military can't regulate fiction though.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
mmm... i think this guy helped point the big finguer in video games

THEY ARE JUST GAMES!

(haha)

at least war games, i dont think there has being a single war game that has made me think "DAMN!! BEING IN A WAR IS COOL!!" or "DAMN!!! BEING IN A WAR IS HORRIBLE", and the simple answer is that they are NOT like a real war

they are just a representation of a conflict with the purpose of entertaining people, like a book or a movie!

wonkify

Oct 2, 2009
Most people who have served in uniform would likely tell you that the liberty we enjoy in this country, even down to something like the subject matter of games, is what they were putting their lives on the line to protect, not infringe.

Hearty agreement with the thinking in this piece.

Semper Fi and game on.