UK Retailer Runs Down Kinect Reserves

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
UK Retailer Runs Down Kinect Reserves

If you were expecting to just stroll into a Game store and buy one of the many Kinect [http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Sensor-Adventures-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA298/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1286972037&sr=1-1] boxes available, you've got another think coming.

Kinect would appear to have captured the imagination of the British public, as UK retailer Game has announced that its entire stock allocation for the launch of Microsoft's motion controller has been reserved, with weeks left before it's actually available.

Game is now taking pre-orders on its website for its next batch of Kinect stock, allocating people a "priority place in the queue" and promising to send customers their orders as soon as they become available. Obviously, Game has phrased its announcement to try and secure more pre-orders, but that doesn't change the fact that come release day, every Kinect already has someone's name on it.

Microsoft has previously stated that Kinect's launch would be massive [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103571-Kinect-Will-Be-the-Biggest-Platform-Launch-Ever-Says-Microsoft], predicting sales of around 3 million [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103519-Microsoft-Predicts-3-Million-Kinect-Sales-Over-the-Holidays] units over the holiday period and saying that it would blow the iPad out of the water [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103570-Tsunoda-iPads-Wild-Success-Wont-Compare-to-Kinect]. Game's announcement certainly would seem to vindicate at least some of that confidence, as it appears that consumers are genuinely interested in the device and are looking forward to playing games on it.

Kinect will launch on November 4th in North America and November 10th in Europe.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=269332]

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Still not going to get until I see reviews saying it's good. And apparently, not even then, because there aren't enough

Jun 7, 2010
AWWWWW...:c

By the title i assumed that a The reserve of kinects had been run down by a lorry owned by a UK retailer. if that were true it would make my day.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Wasn't it being released in limited Stock? That's how Gameplay advertises it. If so, not that impressive. If not then fair enough, but due to my Xbox 360 existing in another dimension (I don't have one) then I guess I can't buy it unless I feel like being silly.

Calumon: I wonder if I was in front of it? What would happen?

Jul 22, 2009
I'm fine with this, if Kinect succeeds; good, we are one step closer to being plugged in 'matrix style' to a virtual reality machine.

If it fails we have to get ready for a long haul of same-y generic shooters that are released en-masse to try and recoup lost money.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Sorry but I don't live in the UK in fact I was never born UK.

I was born in and still living in______....can somebody remind me which country has the least Kinect sales?

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Meh, I'm sure it will go the same way as the Wii, if not a faliure (Lots of sales at the start, then rapidly dropping when everyone's mum has bought one but no games).

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Secret world leader (shhh) said:
AWWWWW...:c

By the title i assumed that a The reserve of kinects had been run down by a lorry owned by a UK retailer. if that were true it would make my day.
That made me laugh.

I'm not interested in this, seems like an over expensive I-toy imo.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
One of those Game Kinects has my name on it. Yay! :)

This doesn't surprise me. I've seen signs outside many Game stores warning that they're running out. If this is truly a sign of good sales I'm impressed.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Jack and Calumon said:
Wasn't it being released in limited Stock? That's how Gameplay advertises it. If so, not that impressive. If not then fair enough, but due to my Xbox 360 existing in another dimension (I don't have one) then I guess I can't buy it unless I feel like being silly.

Calumon: I wonder if I was in front of it? What would happen?
If MS is planning on selling 3 million of them, they can't have their stock all that limited.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
mad825 said:

I was born in and still living in______....can somebody remind me which country has the least Kinect sales?
Sorry, I keep rereading this post and I can't understand what the hell you mean by that.

Mehall

Feb 1, 2010
Some stores have been advertising that their allocation had nearly been reached as an effort to push for more and more deposits (so that individual shop gets more initial stock) but I guess they were not far off the mark!

Tried Kinect. The hardware itself is more than capable but there is only one game currently on it's way that I'd buy if I had Kinect, that's Dance Central, and it's not a game that would make me buy Kinect.

It's strong, and it'll hit the right market, but not for me. Yet.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
dogstile said:
mad825 said:

Sorry, I keep rereading this post and I can't understand what the hell you mean by that.
^.^

I'm effectively in denial about my nationality because of the high sales.

aseelt

Jan 13, 2010
How many did they get delivered in their first batch?

If they only got say 5,000 and they've been taking up with preorders the statement would be valid

Show me the numbers!

Feb 13, 2008
Ah, one of the prime rules in marketing. Release less than demand and use it bump perceived value.

Now all they need to do is report a few fights over Kinect and the orders will start flooding in.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Nintendo did the whole "limited supply" thing for a whole year or so, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft was doing this to generate hype.

If Kinect succeeds, good for them, but I still retain the fact that Microsoft have no idea what they're doing with the damn machine. I've already stated my thoughts on Kinect, so short version; it looks like an interesting piece of technology, but Microsoft don't know who they're advertising to or what would make those people want to buy it.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
As a U.K. gamer who surrounds himself with other gamers I know no-one who has ordered one of these.

I can only assume this is being bought by the parents of kids who want the latest toy.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I'll admit that I certainly wouldn't be the first person to submit a vote of confidence in support of motion controls, but I'd hate to be considered close-minded as a result. All I'm interested in is the games. All I have to gauge the quality and relevance of motion controls in the market so far is the Wii software, which, I think quite understandably, offers very little that inspires confidence.

I'll continue to refrain from purchasing a Move or Kinect, but I'll certainly keep a close eye on the games on offer. Minigame collections and glorified workout videos certainly aren't going to convince me to rush out and start throwing money at these things.