JRPG Maker Seeks Publisher Via Twitter

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
JRPG Maker Seeks Publisher Via Twitter

If you want to find a publisher for a sequel to a cult classic game you made thirteen years ago, why not hit up Twitter?

Thirteen years ago, Kenichi Nishi directed a critically acclaimed JRPG for the original PlayStation called Moon: Remix RPG Adventure (often just called Moon, for brevity's sake). Now 43 years old, the game designer - who has worked on games like Chrono Trigger - wants to make a sequel to Moon. There's just one problem: He doesn't have a publisher.

So, he went to translated by Eurogamer [http://twitter.com/#!/Route24], Nishi asked fans of Moon - which was never released outside of Japan - to show their devotion to the title in order to help the sequel find someone willing to back it with money.

"So that I can tell a sponsor 'we have around this many fans,' if you'd like a sequel to Moon, please use the hashtag #moon2," Nishi said. "Feel free to say what kind of features and what difficulty you'd like. Personally I think online would be good."

Now, there's no guarantee that a Moon2 will ever be made. recent campaign to star in the Uncharted film adaptation [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410035].

Even if it never gets anywhere, though, it's always interesting to see social media like Twitter used as a tool rather than just a vehicle for conveying your desire for Taco Bell at 2 AM.

(Via Wikipedia [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30943/JRPG_Producer_Looks_To_Twitter_To_Help_Secure_A_Publisher.php])

Jul 22, 2009
Well I'll tweet something.

Sounds good and I do love JRPGs, hopefully he'll find a publisher and we'll get a version on the 360.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Why not both?

"2 am. At #TacoBell. Need publisher and money for RPG sequel. #Moon2"

GamesB2 said:

Sounds good and I do love JRPGs, hopefully he'll find a publisher and we'll get a version on the 360.
That's the last console a JRPG dev should go to. The 360 is...disliked...in Japan.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Why not both?

GamesB2 said:

That's the last console a JRPG dev should go to. The 360 is...disliked...in Japan.
And in NA, where the 360 is liked, JRPGs are not. Despite the fact that they often have more content in them (in terms of length, environments, enemies, and items), making them more worth $60 than most Western games

I will say I got my hopes up when I began reading until I hit Moon that there was a chance this could have been Legend of the Dragoon. Sadly, the day that it gets a sequel/remake/place on the f'ing PSN store has yet to come.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
They should re-release Moon outside of Japan, I'm sure Sony would pick it back up to release for the PS3 if it did well here, make it 10 bucks and throw it in the PSN store or something...fuck, with a name like that I'd fucking try the game even if it sucked

Success is what they look for, right? Why not broaden a game to new audiences to make people with money who want to make more money interested in your project?

(Side note: btw Onyx, you're avatar pic thingy is so fucking insane...I can't...stop...looking at it @.@)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Delock said:
I will say I got my hopes up when I began reading until I hit Moon that there was a chance this could have been Legend of the Dragoon. Sadly, the day that it gets a sequel/remake/place on the f'ing PSN store has yet to come.
You don't have your discs anymore?

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
I dunno seems kinda unprofessional to ask via Tweet. I mean I know why he's doing it, and it is a very useful tool to do it. But still...

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
Delock said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Why not both?

GamesB2 said:

And in NA, where the 360 is liked, JRPGs are not. Despite the fact that they often have more content in them (in terms of length, environments, enemies, and items), making them more worth $60 than most Western games

If you still have a PS2 or PS1 (or some way to save PS1 gameplay) I can get you in touch with a store here that has LotD for 14.99 new. I'm sure they can work out a shipping deal for you (they sent my brother stuff when he was in Iraq, so doing it in the states is much easier). Just PM me if you want the details.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
CheckD3 said:
They should re-release Moon outside of Japan, I'm sure Sony would pick it back up to release for the PS3 if it did well here, make it 10 bucks and throw it in the PSN store or something...fuck, with a name like that I'd fucking try the game even if it sucked

Success is what they look for, right? Why not broaden a game to new audiences to make people with money who want to make more money interested in your project?

(Side note: btw Onyx, you're avatar pic thingy is so fucking insane...I can't...stop...looking at it @.@)
Doesn't Sony have a part of PSN that's now "Games that never left Japan for various reasons"? it could go up there or... hang on

*Elevator Music*

there was a translation patch but it looks dead

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
RowdyRodimus said:
Delock said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Why not both?

GamesB2 said:

If you still have a PS2 or PS1 (or some way to save PS1 gameplay) I can get you in touch with a store here that has LotD for 14.99 new. I'm sure they can work out a shipping deal for you (they sent my brother stuff when he was in Iraq, so doing it in the states is much easier). Just PM me if you want the details.
My problem isn't so much that I can't find it, it's more of that the copies of the game are now limited and are less likely to be discovered by newcomers who know nothing about it than it would be for people browsing through the PSN store that happen upon it. I personally am just fine with my copy (even if the first disc has clearly been played well over the years), but it's sad to know that those who came into the market late don't have the same chances of discovering it, despite it being a very good game (note, I'm not going to put IMO here, since just about everyone I've talked to who has playe the game loved it, but it is still technically AN opinion). It's also sort of telling that every fan/player of it that I find is amazed to find another person who played it (one person literally had the funniest freakout ever about it, apparently convinced that I couldn't have it since he'd been through so many "What game?"s through the years).