Apple Patents New "Anti-Sexting" Technology

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Apple Patents New "Anti-Sexting" Technology

Apple [http://www.apple.com] has patented a new kind of "anti-sexting technology" that will give parents the ability to force their kids to come up with new and different ways to describe their intense, graphic lust for one another over their mobile phones.

Apple was awarded the patent [http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=7814163.PN.&OS=PN/7814163&RS=PN/7814163] yesterday for new technology that will let an "administrator," which I guess would be somebody like your mom, block offensive content on iPhones by either cutting out the naughty bits or preventing entire messages from being received. Unlike conventional profanity filters, Apple claims its new technology can be adjusted based on a child's grade level and will also filter out abbreviated words that other software may miss. Furthermore, instead of just blocking specific nasty words, this system attempts to "recognize the overall offensiveness of a message and [compare] that to a kid's age and learning level."

On a more practical note, the filter will also work the other way, forcing users to include certain kinds of content in messages in order to keep their service active. The patent cites the example of a student learning Spanish, who could have his texting privileges suspended unless he includes a specific number of Spanish words or phrases in his messages.

But let's be honest, what we're really talking about is talking dirty. Is this the beginning of the end of inappropriate teenage texting? Hardly. As TechCrunch [http://techcrunch.com/2010/10/12/apple-patents-anti-sexting-device/] noted, "Those interesting in 'sexting' will probably find some clever workaround to express how much they want to bang, screw, hit it or a myriad of other words that don't immediately set off the censorship sensors." And that's assuming that some hyper-hormonal hacker doesn't come up with a way to break the filter about, oh, 20 minutes after it comes to market.

One thing Apple's anti-sexting filter won't touch is photos or videos attached to messages. And if a picture really is worth a thousand words, 160 characters should be no problem at all.

Source: CNN [http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/10/13/apple.sexting.patent/index.html?hpt=T2]

Feb 13, 2008
We are Apple. Clean up your messages and surrender your rights. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Fucking hell, it's only a few dirty messages; does that really require forking out for a patent?

Bunch of fun-sponges.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Woodsey said:
Fucking hell, it's only a few dirty messages; does that really require forking out for a patent?
I think it's the forking out that the parents are trying to stop ;)

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
The picture on this article summed up my first thought u[pon reading the headline.

Why sext when you have Face-time?

-m

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
We are Apple. Clean up your messages and surrender your rights. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
Fuck that, I have a blender.

Andy Chalk said:
One thing Apple's anti-sexting filter won't touch is photos or videos attached to messages. And if a picture really is worth a thousand words, 160 characters should be no problem at all.
Uhm, what? So it's pretty much a failure then. I thought naked pictures was the basis of "sexting" (man I hate that word, so stupid). And even if it wasn't, it will be now.

Rensenhito

Jan 28, 2009
Stupid Apple. First they get the police to raid that guy's home, now they're trying to halt the exploration of sexuality.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
THat's why accounting speak was inventented. "Oooh baby I want to give you my long term invest and liquidate your return" XD

And that's MILD

Nov 5, 2007
The thing is though, they are only making it because there is a demand for it. I wouldn't put all the blame on Apple.

But you know what, I'm okay with this. It will create a flow of new euphemism for sex.

The monster with two backs...

BackwardsO

Apr 17, 2009
This is the main problem I have with Apple, in a time where a product is commandeered by the consumer as soon as it's out the door (in a good way)Apple does their damn best to keep a strangling grasp on their things...

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
I reserve the right to send my girlfriend lewd texts and pictures.

Although I've recently reached the age where it's legal for me to whore myself out on the internet I can still imagine how much this would have pissed me off a few years ago.

Thankfully my parents aren't the type of safety freaks who would have used this on me when I was younger.

I simultaneously feel sorry and no longer fear for the next generation.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Kids know these things better than the people who freaking made them, this is essentially pointless

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
olikunmissile said:
Fuck. That.

Too far.

The resistance starts here, WHO'S WITH ME?
I am.

Now where is the nearest Apple Store, I got me some geniuses to kill.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
olikunmissile said:
Fuck. That.

Too far.

The resistance starts here, WHO'S WITH ME?
Count me in! I've been wanting to teach Apple a leason for years. I call Steve Jobs, though!

OT: I really don't get a technology that is supposed to stop sexting, but won't block sexual pictures. That's like making sure the back door of Fort Knox is all nice and closed up and secure, while leaving the front door wide open.