LEGO Wii Remote Helps Build Your Own Fun

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
LEGO Wii Remote Helps Build Your Own Fun

As if the Wii wasn't fun enough already, now you can add LEGO toys to the experience.

Let's be honest about something: <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.210262-Guns-and-Lego-Bricks-Build-Epic-Shootout>LEGO toys are cool, and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100242-Prince-of-Persia-Movie-Trailer-Gets-Lego-Ified>cool stuff gets cooler<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.145940-Lego-Star-Wars-Chess-Set-is-Amazing>when you add them to the mix. Nintendo and LEGO have recently joined forces to create a LEGO-oriented Wii Remote, and the results is - unsurprisingly - simultaneously garish and pretty dang cool.

According to Toys 'R' Us, the custom controller comes with all the standard features of a Wii Remote, but also includes 31 Mini LEGO tiles and a Tile Seperator. On top of that, you can "use your own official LEGO pieces (not included) to build a custom display stand using the Buildable Battery Cover."

Currently, the LEGO Wii Remote seems to be a Toys 'R' Us exclusive, and it's a little more expensive than the standard model, though not outrageously so ($39.99 compared to <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Remote-Controller-nintendo/dp/B000IMWK2G/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287008167&sr=8-1-fkmr0>$35 for the regular version). Growing up, I was a LEGO kid who always loved building insane pieces of architecture. I can only imagine how much fun people will have creating custom holders (and maybe Wii display cases - hint, hint) to go along with this cute little piece of kit.

Source: Geeks are Sexy

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
O_O Must...Resist...Temptation!

Best thing is, you be able to add more Lego if you own it...

Lego Sword Anyone? ;D

Bob_Bobbington

Oct 27, 2008
Wow, I want to buy a Wii just so I can get this. That's if this is even released in Australia. I still have all my LEGO from when I was a kid so I have no shortage of pieces.

EDIT:

arc1991 said:

Lego Sword Anyone? ;D
I'll take your LEGO sword and raise you a LEGO Wii blaster.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
This is probably the best thing to happen to that controller ever. I know I'd use it more :|

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Bob_Bobbington said:
Wow, I want to buy a Wii just so I can get this. That's if this is even released in Australia. I still have all my LEGO from when I was a kid so I have no shortage of pieces.

EDIT:

arc1991 said:

Lego Sword Anyone? ;D
Hey, Don't make me Attach this thing to a Lego X-Wing ;D

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Snotnarok said:
This is probably the best thing to happen to that controller ever. I know I'd use it more :|
Should make a Lego Xbox Controller... And PS3, hell even a Keyboard and Mouse!

Bob_Bobbington

Oct 27, 2008
arc1991 said:
Bob_Bobbington said:

EDIT:

arc1991 said:

Lego Sword Anyone? ;D
I like this game. I'll take oyur X-Wing and raise oyu the Slave-1. Try and beat that

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Bob_Bobbington said:
arc1991 said:
Bob_Bobbington said:

EDIT:

arc1991 said:

Lego Sword Anyone? ;D
I like this game. I'll take oyur X-Wing and raise oyu the Slave-1. Try and beat that
Excuse me? The Slave-1? I laugh at you! Try and take on my Millennium Falcon, It's the Wii-mote that made the Kessel run in less than 12 par-secs ;D

Bob_Bobbington

Oct 27, 2008
arc1991 said:
Bob_Bobbington said:
arc1991 said:
Bob_Bobbington said:

EDIT:

arc1991 said:

Lego Sword Anyone? ;D
Excuse me? The Slave-1? I laugh at you! Try and take on my Millennium Falcon, It's the Wii-mote that made the Kessel run in less than 12 par-secs ;D
While I don't have any specific sets that could beat that, I could probably whip something up from scratch. But for the purposes of this contest, I declare you the winner.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
Gods, that's hideous.

I love Lego and all(that reminds me,I should reprogramme my lego robot), but that....

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
arc1991 said:
Snotnarok said:
Well...I think there is a lego keyboard...yeah I remember seeing it ages ago.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Snotnarok said:
arc1991 said:
Snotnarok said:
Well...I think there is a lego keyboard...yeah I remember seeing it ages ago.
O_O Must have! i want all things made out of Lego D: the world would 50% more epic!

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
nice!! and ordered. perfect present for my little bro for hannukah. excellent. thanks escapist for making holiday shopping easy.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
That's an interesting idea for a custom controller, but I would think that the extra bits could make it somewhat unwieldy. Also, Lego bricks don't provide exactly the most conforming fit for the hand.

And now I wonder: How long until someone builds a phallus?[footnote]By the minute[/footnote]

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Unrulyhandbag said:
I should reprogram my lego robot
That makes me think. Anyone feel up to connecting this remote to a Mindstorms NXT system? The Wiimote can communicate with Lego NXT via Bluetooth and LabVIEW [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBqw3Y1XcZg], NXT is fairly dexterous [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFQtyna58Kg], and can run reasonably complex programs... if it can solve a Rubik's Cube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ3nN09yczY], it can play Wii games! Or at least, use the remote as a sophisticated tilt-sensor/infrared sensor.