Space Station Crew Enjoys 'Fruits' of Urine Recycler

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Space Station Crew Enjoys 'Fruits' of Urine Recycler

After a number of technological hurdles and unforeseen accidents, the crew of the International Space Station can finally enjoy their Urine Recycler -- a device that makes urine drinkable.

Originally scheduled to go online last November, the UR has met with repeated mechanical failures. It sat unused until March of this year when it was finally repaired and after rigorous testing it now serves its intended purpose [http://techfragments.com/news/793/Science/Space_Station_Crew_Drinks_Up_To_Recycled_Urine.html].

This marks the first time space explorers have been able to repurpose their own waste into drinkable water -- a boon previously reserved for Andean plane crash survivors and Bear Grylls [http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/manvswild/bio/bio.html].

Perhaps not as glamorous as the concept of blasting off into space, the Urine Recycler still serves an important purpose: Despite the gobs of money countries toss at the ISS program, transporting huge amounts of potable water to the floating platform is difficult and costly.

Drinking urine might not have the same cachet as a bottle of Aquafina, but it beats dying of thirst in the cold, uncaring vacuum of space.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So, in the name of progress they've doomed all astronauts to drinking piss forever more?

Awesome.

chimmers

Nov 18, 2007
Probably a great idea and invention, but damnit if it doesn't put a major dent in my ambitions of astronaut fun...

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Urine is already fairly drinkable as a water source. I'm guessing this mostly just makes it taste better?

ffxfriek

Apr 3, 2008
chimmers said:
Probably a great idea and invention, but damnit if it doesn't put a major dent in my ambitions of astronaut fun...
probably itd awesome but im not to thrilled about drinking my waste

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
vivaldiscool said:
Urine is already fairly drinkable as a water source. I'm guessing this mostly just makes it taste better?
Mainly, it gets rid of the chemicals your body tossed out for a reason.

Galaxy613

Apr 6, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I imagine it took a very special kind of volunteer to be part of that "rigorous testing."
That made me laugh; I agree.

I doubt it tastes or smells like urine once the process is done, it would be interesting to get people to taste test it verses some name brand bottled water providers.

Scypemonk

Proud TBB Warrior
Sep 26, 2007
It's pretty simple really. Only 10% of our urine is the actual urinematter, the rest is 90% water mixed with it, so it can leave our bodies more easily. The machine simply sorts water from urinematter, giving us 9 deciliters of water per liter off pee. A few chemical filters is all you need to seperate the water and urinematter, giving you 100% pure water.