WoW: Cataclysm Cinematic Intro Blows Everything Up Forever

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
WoW: Cataclysm Cinematic Intro Blows Everything Up Forever

The Cataclysm intro cinematic is here, and Azeroth is pretty much screwed.

Whatever you think about Blizzard's games, its franchises, or its ridiculously slow development time, I think we can all agree on this: Blizzard's in-house cinematic department makes ridiculously cool pre-rendered cutscenes. I would gladly watch an entire full-length CGI movie from that team, but it would probably take over a decade to make.

Blizzard has just released the full-length Cataclysm intro cinematic to coincide with the first commercials airing during the Vikings/Cowboys game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104426-World-of-Warcraft-Cataclysms-Deathwing-Performing-Halftime-Show], and it's a doozy.

While it's definitely more action-packed than the relatively subdued Wrath of the Lich King intro, it's also much more coherent than the "Hey let's show random player characters doing cool things!" style of the original World of Warcraft and Burning Crusade cinematics. Truth be told, I don't have a problem with it, except Gnomes still haven't been in a pre-rendered movie. Alas.

But you don't care about any of that, do you? You just want to watch Azeroth getting blown up by a huge dragon made of lava and evil with molten dark iron armor bolted to his skin, don't you?

In that case, you should be very, very satisfied.

YonderTunic

Mar 4, 2010
I think it's meh. Deathing doesn't do a whole lot other than fly around all "HEY GUIZ LEWK AT MEH!"

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Someone sounds like he's been taking a little too much acting/evil lessons from Megatron. Possibly even took his voicebox, from the sound of it!

..Though the CGI is great, no less.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
I know im nitpicking, bear with that, im just like that even in real life, but the art style Blizzard is recently following seems a bit repetitive. Deathwing face is so similar to Hydralisk it actually is disappointing.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
randomguy425 said:
I think it's meh. Deathing doesn't do a whole lot other than fly around all "HEY GUIZ LEWK AT MEH!"
ciortas1 said:
This is such utter meh'ness... It's making me sad.

Cool eye candy though.
Whaaaaaaaaaat?

I mean, let's be honest here. We watch their videos for the eye candy (and the awesome cinematography, but that falls under "eye candy"), and this was awesome eye candy.

Much better than Classic/BC intros, IMO. Not sure if I like it as much as the WotLK one.

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
see this is why I like eve. oh no giant dragon.... launching cruise missiles. *BOOM*

cruise missile > gun > magic > sword/hammer > stick

we also have cooler trailers/intros

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Keava said:
I know im nitpicking, bear with that, im just like that even in real life, but the art style Blizzard is recently following seems a bit repetitive. Deathwing face is so similar to Hydralisk it actually is disappointing.
Now that you mentioned I'll never stop noticing! I think it looks neat. Deathwing that is. And the cinematic looks awesome. Too bad the game is not half as awesome. ^^

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I think it got the point across. Big honkin dragon. Fire, tidal waves and earthquakes. Yep I'd say thats a Cataclysm alright.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Was definetly an epic commercial. Although I'm currently more worried that THE VIKINGS ARE SUCKING! Pick it up Vikes!

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
MOAR DOTS!
John Funk said:
Much better than Classic/BC intros, IMO. Not sure if I like it as much as the WotLK one.
I really liked the Original/BC Intros. They were more about showing what you will become rather then who you'll be facing ehich I though was way more interesting. They also had a mage turning someone into a sheep so whats not to love :)

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
John Funk said:
I dare to disagree. I loved the vanilla intro, it was way better in my eyes. It had a dwarf, cleavage, forsaken, cleavage, infernal, cleavage, and of course a bear! Beats a dragon that run into psychotic dentist by far.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Marq said:
Sooooooooo.... Fire resist gear huh?
LOLOLOLOL fire resist. this video is awsome but if previous expansions have shown us anything...the only resist you need is a druid buff. When you get acheivements because you cant do it the other way/are too lazy to craft all the crap...MY VOTE 24-30 hours and everything in game will be killed. But this...this is Eye Candy like i have never seen before...i give it 3 days before i reup..again