Question of the Day, October 18, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, October 18, 2010

It looks like The Hobbit movie is finally moving ahead [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104462-Hobbit-Movies-Finally-Received-Studio-Greenlight]. It's full speed ahead, what with Peter Jackson stepping in for Guillermo del Toro as director and the financial troubles fixing themselves. So, what do you think? Are you ready for more Tolkein on the big screen, or are you LOTRO'd out?

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
I don't know why I didn't like Lord of the Rings. I certainly should have, but all of the movies somehow seemed boring to me. So I don't think I'll be going to see The Hobbit.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Once again the poll is lacking options.

My opinion is pretty much on the fence, I wish Del Toro would've been able to do it. I'm looking forward to it but I'm not overly enthused about it.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
I hope it will be good, I want to say I can't wait, but, I've leanred not to get to hyped about films and games.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Trogdor1138 said:
Indeed, so I am refraining from voting.

I think it'll be good, and I shall no doubt see it. I do dislike that they have decided to milk it into two films though. The Hobbit is written in larger writing than the LOTR and the books about half the size of any of them, they could easily fit it into three hours.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
where's the "I love John Roland Reuel Tolkein's work... as books" option?

As good as the films where I'd much rather enjoy them as they were meant to be enjoyed, in my own head. I can't see "there and back again" being any different.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
I want to see it, that's for sure. And hopefully District 10 will come after it.

And it's my Birthday BTW!

Tehlanna TPX

Mar 23, 2010
Considering how horribly written the LotR was, and how wonderfully written the Hobbit was, I'm certain this will come out well. Jackson and his team made LotR actually interesting, which is an amazing feat in and of itself (it took me the better part of two decades to, bit by bit, devour the Red Book. What a headache!). The fact that it's spread into two movies doesn't bother me in the slightest. I don't know why it should. Is this another one of those "I'm annoyed about the idea in general, so I'm going to piss and moan about it because /pout doesn't come across well on the net?"

-.-

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
None of the poll options reflect my opinion because while I'm not particularly excited about the new film, that doesn't mean that I don't like Lord of the Rings that I only care about the trilogy.

I do like the Lord of the Rings and the films that I've seen, likewise I also like The Hobbit but I'm just not excited about the new film.

Maybe if I knew more about the film I might be more excited about it, but as it stands I'm not even interested enough to find out more about it or view any hype.

I'm sure it'll be an excellent film though, as it's got great source material and a good director, but I'm just not excited about it.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Trogdor1138 said:

My opinion is pretty much on the fence, I wish Del Toro would've been able to do it. I'm looking forward to it but I'm not overly enthused about it.
Ditto. I know it's hard to match everyone's personal opinion on things, but this one I think would have greatly benefited from a "I'm interested but not overly enthusiastic" option. I'll consider seeing it in the theater if A: reviews sound geared towards something I'd like, and B: My girlfriend goes nuts over it. She's a LoTR fan (scarily so sometimes) so I'm curious to see her thoughts on it.

firemark

Sep 8, 2009
I was greatly looking forward to it until Del Toro had issues with Jackson. Personally, I think Del Toro's style and creativity would have made the movies just incredible! It was much more of a fantasy novel considering the smaller spiders that could talk and the wood elves...oh yeah Smaug! I mean how awesome would he have made him look? Oh well. I'll probably still go see it but I really wanted Del Toro to do it (as previously mentioned).

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
The Hobbit was one of the first fantasy books I ever read. I'm looking forward to seeing it made into a movie. I just hope this time they don't rip out the neat stuff.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Why isn't there a "Yes, I can't wait for The Hobbit" option?

Anyway, I just hope it turns out to be as good as the LotR movies, been awhile since I watched movies that awesome.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Very much yes! I really liked the LOTR movies, so I would like to see these as well.

ArcanaJ

Sep 14, 2010
Wow, limited poll options.

I find I can't get all that worked up about the movie just yet. It has the potential to be excellent, but it could just as easily be a disaster. There just isn't enough information out.