Trailer: Sega Confuses Yakuza With Resident Evil

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009

Sega's latest Yakuza title in action looks more like Resident Evil or Dead Rising, with plenty of zombies included.

What if Yakuza [http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Auto-IV-Xbox-360/dp/B000FRU1UM]. In Yakuza: Of the End, players won't just be in conflict with rival gangs, as zombies have overtaken the city and are seriously screwing with the Yakuza's bottom line. Please enjoy the game's latest 8 minute trailer.

Everything about Yakuza: Of the End screams that it's a cash-in on the popularity of zombies, but is that really such a bad thing? It certainly doesn't mean Of the End will be a terrible game, though its basic theme is completely changing. It's a spin-off, so lets see where Sega goes with this, eh?

The game's four playable characters will unload all sorts of weaponry, including a paper fan, on the zombie hordes, even attacking them with a tank like in Resident Evil [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Rising-2-Playstation-3/dp/B002EE1P2W/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1287429290&sr=1-2], and one of the characters has a chaingun affixed to his arm and reminds me of Wesker, though he wears a white coat.

Yakuza: Of the End might be emulating aspects of other popular zombie games, but thankfully we'll still be able to play slots like in the franchise's previous entries while we wait for the sweet release of death from a zombie bite. Mini-games shown in the trailer include slot machines, batting cages that undress women (do those really exist in Japan?), ping-pong, fishing, golf, darts, and more. I guess everybody is pretty sick of zombies by now, but how can you not be excited for Yakuza: Of the End after seeing this trailer?

Really now, who doesn't want to kill 150 zombies with an arm-mounted chaingun and then beat a Geisha in table tennis? Unfortunately, at this time Yakuza: Of the End is only planned for release in Japan in 2011. Though North America hasn't seen anything outside of the core Yakuza series, with Yakuza 4 [http://www.amazon.com/Yakuza-4-Playstation-3/dp/B003QX4F7C/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1287429331&sr=1-3] coming in March of next year, I have a strong feeling that Sega will choose to grace us with Of the End someday too. At least, I really hope so.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/news/sega-releases-8-minute-trailer-yakuza]

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Okay, Sega are making this, therefore, I want to see Type 00 The Magician in here. If not, I'll be very disappointed.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
Perhaps they were thinking "Well, if it works for Red Dead Redemption..." or something to that extent?

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
It actually looks like a lot of fun to play...and there wont be a time limit! So I won't feel the constraints like I do in Dead Rising and can kill zombies for however long I see fit!

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Tom Goldman said:

Sega's latest Yakuza title in action looks more like Resident Evil or Dead Rising, with plenty of zombies included.
Too many zombies. Make it stop.

Joking aside, I'd like to see this. So long as SEGA knows this is a spin-off, not a canon story, I'm fine with it.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Oh my God.

This game has gay pirates. Can't decide if that makes it better or not...

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
That actually looks good. Although it's just making me want to play Dead Rising and wish they add a sandbox mode to it, because the timers are bullshit.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
I was actually starting to enjoy the trailer. Until I got to 5:40..how Japanese of you..

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
There's even a dockyards scene! Oh, Shenmue...how I miss ye...

Seriously, this looks like Shenmue with crappy shooting mechanics and a hefty doese of L4D influence in infected design.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
maybe it's a house of the dead reboot?
I've no clue...

I'm tired...

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
V8 Ninja said:
...Why is there a dancing pirate in the Yakuza?
Why isn't there a dancing pirate in everything else?
I'll admit; you may have point...but I'm still not seeing it. :| It's probably because I'm a ninja, but I just don't get it yet.