Do You Think You Know Videogame Music? Try Our Quiz!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Do You Think You Know Videogame Music? Try Our Quiz!

If you think you know all there is to know about videogame soundtracks, our quiz may well prove you wrong.

For some people, a well-done soundtrack may be the most memorable part of a videogame. How many of you can whistle the Super Mario Bros. theme at the drop of a hat? What about the Zelda overworld tune, or the Final Fantasy prelude? There are even entire fan groups dedicated to the sole art [http://ocremix.org/] of remixing videogame music.

This week's issue of The Escapist magazine, "Symphony of Destruction," is all about how music affects and changes the way we game. So we thought we'd take the opportunity to test you guys: How much do you know about videogame music?

This isn't like our normal quizzes, either. We took 25 excellent tunes from videogames new and classic alike, and chopped them down into ~10-second-long bits. How many songs can you successfully match to their respective games? Just knowing the big hitters won't help, either: While all these songs are great in their own rights, we decided to take out any of the most well-known soundtracks you might commonly find in a quiz like this. This means no Mario, no Zelda, no Mega Man - you get the idea.

Now, since this quiz is a toughie, we'll be awarding you a badge depending on how well you do - but unlike our normal personality quizzes, you only get one! You can take the quiz as many times as you want to try to get all of the answers right, but the badge you get your first time through is the badge you're stuck with - so be careful.

You can take as long as you want to ensure perfection, but your time will show up on our leaderboards. Does haste make waste? It's your choice, and yours alone!

If you think your auditory sensors (also known as "ears") are up to the challenge, then you can take The Escapist's Music Madness quiz here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/quizzes/view/118]! Good luck, since you'll probably need it.

The Music Madness Quiz [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/quizzes/view/118]!

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I'm 3rd place for now! I would like to underline now at the precise time.

One of the entries made me so nostalgic that I have to plug one of my old consoles.

Note* I don't want to give away any answers.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
That was hard since i hadnt played almost any of those games and you carnt really work it out from sound clips, but i was suprised that all the games i have played im sure i got right

Kanodin0

Mar 2, 2010
Great song choices, you now have me looking up old favorites. I once had a music appreciation class where half the test was being able to remember a song by it's first 10 seconds.

Crowser

Feb 13, 2009
Woo 3rd out of 35... I'd say that's pretty good with an 80%

The Red Alert and Battlefield 1942 themes really got the nostalgia going =)

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Some great music choices in there for sure!!

64% - Section Leader =D

couchy2507

Nov 18, 2009
2nd out of 59, with only one wrong (and the guy above me being a member of the escapist). Damn I know too many of those, Although I smiled when I heard some of the clips :)

Also, is there any way to keep track of the scoreboard? Just curious to see how everyone else does.

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
Bah, too many games I have never played. I failed on all of the games that are PS exclusive, and every piece of JRPG. The rest I got pretty fast. This does show that iconic game music sticks with you forever :D

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Yay! I got loads of them!

It's just the Japanese ones I couldn't do...

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
67%. There were alot of those odd japanese titles I hadn't played.

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
Wow, I haven't played half of those games and I still managed to get 20/25. I mean, I love certain OST for certain franchises, but otherwise don't listen to a lot of video game music. Currently at 6th place! Kinda feels good.

I really liked how To Zanarkand was chosen too... one of my favourite piano pieces. Now time to listen to some Nobuo Uematsu.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Holy crap, I'm in 3rd out of 101, with 88%!

Those were some good tunes, found myself saying "F*** yeah!" On ones I knew and loved.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Tough. 80%.

Take this quiz [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/quizzes/result/118.108-Conductor]
Nobuo Uematsu, Jeremy Soule, Yasunori Mitsuda - not only do you know who these names are, they're practically your idols, man!

-

Indeed. I love all of their work...Although, I'm a bigger fan of Iwadare than any of those 3.

I got most of them except for the PC ones.

Now...I have to go play 2 of my favorite PS1 JRPGs now. Sorry, New Vegas.

Seriously, you can't talk about great game music without JRPGs.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Now, I might have known very little of those, but that was some kickass damn music. Fantastic.

And, going by the general logic, not by knowledge, I actually got 17 out of 25.

Seriously though, want all of these, on a CD, now!

EDIT: Retook it, now 19.

Also, might speak volumes about me, but my favorite one was the military one (not to spoil from which game).

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Holy crap, that was awesome... I'm surprised how many I instantly knew o_O I'm kinda proud of myself.

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
52% I dont play that many Jrpg's (exept for ffx with to zanarkand that still makes tear role out of my eyes)