BAIT Makes You Run From Monsters in Real Life

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009

[vimeo=15968338]

Monsters will eat you if you don't keep running while playing BAIT.

Designer Theo Tveteras [http://www.theotveteras.com/] has created the concept for a game that will give players a realistic look at what it's like to run away from monsters. In BAIT, if you don't run, you're dead. Well, you really just lose points, but getting eaten by monsters sounds so much more exciting.

BAIT is an audio game that would be installed on a smartphone or similar device and uses a GPS and internal sensors to determine how fast or far a person runs. The basic idea is to create something more exciting than the usual types of fitness tracking software.

Players take on the role of a BAIT agent, an organization created to destroy radioactive monsters that are entering the world through wormholes. Running charges an "electronic neutralizer" that self-detonates once fully maxed out, killing any creatures chasing after you. If charging goals are not met, i.e. the player's running goals, you will incur damage and lose points.

Each level of BAIT is only completed when the player reaches a certain number of points. Levels are based on interval training with monsters appearing at specific times to increase workout intensity. Points could potentially also be used to purchase upgrades (that might allow for a quick break), while co-op is also possible with nearby agents.

Though BAIT isn't real yet, it's a concept that shouldn't be ignored. Running can be a truly boring activity. Something like BAIT could make people want to run and stay fit, or at least make the activity a little easier. Wii Fit [http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Fit-Plus-Balance-Board-Nintendo/dp/B002BSA3EM] might have players jogging in place, but that's not as engaging as actually running from monsters in the real world. Believe me, I know.

Source: GameSetWatch [http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2010/10/bait_concept_game_combines_run.php]

daemon37

Oct 14, 2009
Question: How many people playing this game are gonna get picked up by the cops?

Cop, "Where's the fire son?"
Kid, "Oh, I'm just running from radioactive monsters."
[awkward pause]
Cop, "You have the right to remain silent..."

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
daemon37 said:
Question: How many people playing this game are gonna get picked up by the cops?

Cop, "Where's the fire son?"
Kid, "Oh, I'm just running from radioactive monsters."
[awkward pause]
Cop, "You have the right to remain silent..."
I think you should be able to set the game to allow for jogging. Very few people can sprint for long distances, so being stopped shouldn't be a problem. I'm guessing you might be ble to pause the gae, but your question did make me laugh my ass off

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
Xzi said:
Do want. Way to add to the excitement of a normal workout routine.
I feel like this is more of a gym treadmill kind of thing though. It might be a bit awkward running full pelt down a public street trying to get away from monsters. That's what Parkour's for :p

But I NEED THIS NOW!!! Really, whoever thought this up deserves a medal or two.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Brilliant. This alone makes me want a smartphone, which I have always seen as overkill as far as phones go.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Oooh, I'm very intrigued. I would totally use this, it's so hard to motivate yourself into running for half an hour instead of doing something more enjoyable. This would make it much more interesting.

I find it especially appealing since I like to listen to ambient tracks while doing things I tend to find boring, and even without the voice instructing me I'd still like to have an intelligent program like this. It could sense that you were slowing down and "spawn" a larger creature to roar and start to chase after you. And you'd have to speed up for long enough to lose it.

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
Hmm, useful, especially since I sometimes think I'm being chased by monsters anyway.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Nice! It's always good to visualize a situation when you're running. I used to pretend I was running from a dog, but this sounds better!

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
Tom Goldman said:

[vimeo=15968338]

Monsters will eat you if you don't keep running while playing BAIT.

Designer Theo Tveteras [http://www.theotveteras.com/] has created the concept for a game that will give players a realistic look at what it's like to run away from monsters. In BAIT, if you don't run, you're dead. Well, you really just lose points, but getting eaten by monsters sounds so much more exciting.

BAIT is an audio game that would be installed on a smartphone or similar device and uses a GPS and internal sensors to determine how fast or far a person runs. The basic idea is to create something more exciting than the usual types of fitness tracking software.

Players take on the role of a BAIT agent, an organization created to destroy radioactive monsters that are entering the world through wormholes. Running charges an "electronic neutralizer" that self-detonates once fully maxed out, killing any creatures chasing after you. If charging goals are not met, i.e. the player's running goals, you will incur damage and lose points.

Each level of BAIT is only completed when the player reaches a certain number of points. Levels are based on interval training with monsters appearing at specific times to increase workout intensity. Points could potentially also be used to purchase upgrades (that might allow for a quick break), while co-op is also possible with nearby agents.

Though BAIT isn't real yet, it's a concept that shouldn't be ignored. Running can be a truly boring activity. Something like BAIT could make people want to run and stay fit, or at least make the activity a little easier. Wii Fit [http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Fit-Plus-Balance-Board-Nintendo/dp/B002BSA3EM] might have players jogging in place, but that's not as engaging as actually running from monsters in the real world is. Believe me, I know.

Source: GameSetWatch [http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2010/10/bait_concept_game_combines_run.php]

Something like that could actually make me interested in a smart phone.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
What would make this even better:

-using device wi-fi or blue-tooth, you would switch on "multi-play"
-Yours and other devices would recognize each other when both have multi-play modes on, making one person the monster, and the other the victim.
-Monster must chase victim, and victim must evade for a certain amount of time depending on level.
-GPS would know if monster catches victim.

Like a hi-tech game of "It" basicly, but without knowing who's playing and who would play what role.