Angry Birds Publisher Lands in EA's Nest

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Angry Birds Publisher Lands in EA's Nest

The UK publisher that brought Angry Birds to mobile phones everywhere was just nabbed by EA for a cool $20 million.

Chillingo, based outside London, publishes some of the most successful mobile games that we've ever had. How popular are Chillingo's games? Well, its games currently hold the #1 and #3 positions on Apple's top paid Apps list with Angry Birds and Cut the Rope. Interestingly, the developers of both those titles, Roxio and Zeptolab respectively, were not a part of the acquisition by Electronic Arts. With EA's purchase of casual Facebook game platform Playfish for $400 million last year, it's clear that the software giant is making a big push to nail down hits in other markets besides traditional console games.

"By acquiring Chillingo, EA Mobile is increasing its market leadership on the Apple Platform as well as reaffirming its position as the world's leading wireless entertainment publisher," EA's statement read. "This acquisition will combine Chillingo's expertise in cultivating the ideas of independent developers with EA's global mobile publishing reach."

Mobile games and so-called casual games on platforms like Facebook and Apple's iDevice OS have so far been the domain of quirky startups and innovative gameplay. With EA's acquisition and Epic's foray onto the iPhone [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103181-Update-Incredible-Looking-RPG-Coming-to-iPhone-et-al-from-Epic], I'm starting to worry that the established gaming companies will swoop in and ruin the hotbed of experimental gameplay that mobile games have been so far.

On the other hand, I don't play mobile games very often so if EA can come out with a game that appeals to me, more power to them.

Source: LA Times [http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/10/ea-buys-iphone-game-publisher-chillingo.html]

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
I don't think that these major companies will stifle creativity. Because, unlike standard platforms for gaming, these games are not as capital intensive, and because this anyone with a relatively small amount of cash and a good idea can produce another hit.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Giest4life said:
I don't think that these major companies will stifle creativity. Because, unlike standard platforms for gaming, these games are not as capital intensive, and because this anyone with a relatively small amount of cash and a good idea can produce another hit.
It's like buying Armor Games: it doesn't really matter, as it only takes a few grand's worth of sponsorship to get a viral game and squillions in advertising (assuming you find a viral game, of course).

Although, I would question if EA will make a profit on this deal. $20 million is a lot of money.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I think it's good that mobile games are becoming more mainstream now.
They can be pretty entertaining sometimes.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
In a year we're going to see EA mobile DLC pushed on is like a door to door salesman a la bioware.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Why does no one ever mention Android? Its always the App Store. Isn't Android more widely used? Is it because Android users don't flaunt their hardware? Please, EA, make some sweet Android games.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Blah! This is not good news. EA has something akin to the Midas Touch but instead of gold everything they touch turns to shit.

Prime example, Bioware. Bioware used to be an excellent company that put out creative and innovative games. Now they just crap out the same game each and every time, only they change the backdrop (look its generic bioware game in space, now in a fantasy setting, now with cowboys. . ) And if that wasn't bad enough they only release about half the game leaving the other half to be shilled out via multiple overpriced DLC bundles.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Angry birds is fun... I hope EA doesn't ruin the company.

Now, if you'll excuse me, it's almost 1am and I haven't slingshotted a bird at a pile of pigs yet today.

Rewold

Mar 18, 2010
Actually it's Rovio, not Roxio. Sorry to correct you. :p Thanks to this thread I noticed Angry Bird is out for Android...Gonna go buy it now.