That Almost Happened!

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
That Almost Happened!

Some famous movies were almost a lot different.

Read Full Article

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Am I the only one who thinks that every one of these except the last one would have made these movies better?

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
The Terminator idea is one I actually like. Seems like a fun way of really twisting around the typical morality tropes and maybe leave people wondering "who's right?" And would probably have been an excellent idea to sort of in-universe reboot the mess they'd been making of the overall story arc. (Though ending it all after T2 would still have been the best plan.)

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
That Superman plot just made me literally slam my face on my desk. That is just... what the hell were they thinking?

The Terminator one sounds like it could have been an interesting twist that would have been genuinely surprising, but only if it was well executed of course.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
Oh my God, that Superman idea sounds like every worst idea in the history of cinema being blended together and then injected right into my spine. I'm not a Superman fan, but dear God that sounded fucking awful

sailor_960

Jan 12, 2010
The terminator one sounds really cool. Salvation was such a tame movie that it really could have shaken things up to have such a twist ending. Now I just feel that I dislike the first movie even more.

Neofishie

Sep 23, 2010
I really like the Terminator one. Skynet's plan sounds like something a computer would call the best solution, especially if it was originally programed with commands in the vein of "Protect humanity," and the story that it thought it was being attacked by the operators trying to shut it down would still make sense, because it makes sense for your average Resistance fighter.

But the Superman one was totally whack. Can we stop using prophecies as plot points? I don't mind Chosen Ones if they're people who've trained their whole lives for a task, but the whole "Born into greatness" bothers me.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Again, vote for the Terminator one - even more so if the selected humans weren't even mildly distopic (that's now a mord...). Seemed like a pretty sweet idea, and would have made the film more interesting AND more complex - both things it could have done with ;)

As with the others... Jeez, that Superman plot XD what were they smoking?! Hah hah, oh man...

The Spidey one would have been pretty funny, but no real loss either way, tbh. Just avoids the plot hole that no-one really cares about.

copycatalyst

Nov 10, 2009
Although I would surely roll my eyes if I was actually witnessing one of these unfold on screen, I do have to applaud the writers for playing with interesting or unusual concepts. It's that kind of "no-such-thing-as-a-bad-idea" brainstorming that can lead to inventive stories... once all the bullshit is filtered out.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
Holy shit, I just read the Abrams script. Let me get this straight JJ, LUTHOR IS ALSO KRYPTONIAN?!? You know what? Fuck you Abrams, just...fuck you

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
MovieBob said:
In 2002, long before Lost when Abrams was best known as the creator of Alias and Felicity, he turned in a revamp script titled Superman: Flyby that got Warner Bros. super excited. In this script, Abrams proposed nothing less than a complete reworking of the entire Superman mythology. New origin. New backstory. New powers. New relationships. How new? Well, Krypton doesn't explode, for starters.

Instead, Krypton is engulfed in a Civil War between King Jor-El and his evil brother. The evil brother seizes power, but fails to stop Jor-El from shooting his infant son (you-know-who) to safety in a spaceship. Apparently, it's important for the bad guys to kill Baby Superman because he's (get ready to roll your eyes) "The Chosen One" of an Ancient Kryptonian Prophecy; so they dispatch thousands of their own spaceships to track him down.

In this new continuity, the Kents have been covertly pre-selected by Jor-El to foster parent Superman a la Mary and Joseph, but instead of being innately heroic, the new Clark Kent grows up an introverted emo kid afraid of his own powers - which now mostly include being super-strong. He needs to be wearing the Superman suit, which is now a Venom-like living-costume with a mind of its own, to fly.
Lex Luthor is a CIA agent in charge of UFO hunting, who's walking around pissed at his superiors about a Dark Secret. When the evil Kryptonian army invades Earth to take down The Chosen One, Luthor teams up with them to kill Superman. No, really. Superman dies!

... and goes to Heaven, where he gets a pep talk from his dead father about The Prophecy that helps him come back to life, rise from the grave and lead humanity in a rebellion against the Kryptonian invaders. Oh, and in a final setup-for-the-sequel stinger: After all the Kryptonians are defeated, Lex Luthor shows up to challenge Superman to a fight (it'll make sense in a moment) and reveal that Dark Secret of his ... he's from Krypton, too!

That sounds like a shitty piece of fanfiction.

EDIT: Though I like the "teenager afraid of his/her own powers" thing. Dunno why, but I do.

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
zHellas said:
EDIT: Though I like the "teenager afraid of his/her own powers" thing. Dunno why, but I do.
There's really only two outcomes you'd expect from a teenager discovering he's got super strength, be afraid of it making them different (in a time in your life where you want to fit in) or go nuts and smash shit up.

foxlovingfreak

Sep 9, 2009
Man these are all really terbbile ideas and even though alot a pepole on here like the termantior one I can't really get behind it because screws up the mytholgy big time and creats too many holes in the over all plot the previous three movies put togthere also I have a feeling that even if they pulled this off well it would still tick alot of pepole off. I mean pepole have been wanting to see a termantior future war movie for a while so when they finaly get one they expect to see john connor as the main charcter and to either A) see him actauly defeating sky net and win the war or B) strgtenth what has already been establish such as showing john sending his father back threw time. Personaly I think if your going to do a twist on the whole termantior mythos It should be based on the fact that Bascially John Connor and his greateast enemy Sky Net where both createad threw the Time Pardox's caused by the first movie. Maybe having a movie where John realzies the only way he can stop Sky Net is by previnting the first movie all toghther (Which would in cause him to be erased from existance) Would make for a much better plot twist then the one prestend up above in the artical. Esipically since to some extent it's a bit cliched.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Huh. I might be in the minority on this, but I really like the Spiderman and Terminator idea. Spiderman because I always enjoy extra layers of "Oh, that's where that originated from" similar to how in Batman Begins, you can spot the titular character's bladed bracers while he's still training in the mountains.

As for Terminator, I feel that the twist would have been an amazing cap to the series. Mainly because I would have walked out of the movie and not have expected anything like that at all. I mean really, when you hear about a Terminator movie you generally have an idea about how the entire movie will play out.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
i actually would have liked to see them all made

just because the last "Super Man" movie was too bad, and they never did explained why the "suit" of spiderman was that way and John connor is an idiot (IMO)

at least it shows a little bit more imagination that what we have seen... too bad the fanboys would have flamed those things to no end