Hollywood Voice Actors: Show Them the Money

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Hollywood Voice Actors: Show Them the Money

Lev Chapelsky, general manager of the production firm Blindlight [http://www.blindlight.com/], says that for years Hollywood actors wanted nothing to do with videogames but once game industry revenues began to surpass that of movies, things changed in a hurry.

The presence of celebrity voice talent in big-budget games has become relatively commonplace these days; Oblivion [http://fallout.bethsoft.com] and the aforementioned Fallout 3, movie actors weren't always so willing to cross genres, and some still aren't.

"I remember the day when most [actors] just thought, 'Videogame? No. I'm a professional actor, this is not something I would do any more than I would do an endorsement for snake oil'. That took a while to get away from, and then it kind of eclipsed into, 'Wow, these guys are making a lot of money on videogames'," he said in an interview with Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/features/interview-lev-chapelsky?page=0%2C0]. "And when the hype came out five years ago about gross revenues of videogames exceeding film, that one statistic had impact here like a nuclear bomb. Nothing has affected the film industries more than that."

"It just melted down their gray matter," he continued. "When that happened, instead of saying, 'This is an important medium artistically, creatively, we should get involved in it as artists,' they said, 'Holy s--t, there's money out there, we've gotta get a piece of that'. So then they started demanding ridiculous money. It made things a bit uncomfortable for a while."

He said that some actors do videogame work to remain relevant with the important "18-year-old male" demographic, while others do it to avoid or break out of typecasting. It also affords them the opportunity to try something new without a major commitment: Voice work in a videogame will eat up a day or two rather than the much greater time investment required by a film.

But he noted that some Hollywood stars, including "experienced, brilliant, on-camera actors," have difficulty transitioning from the screen to the voice booth and as a result, paying a ton of money for an actor isn't necessarily going to bring very good results. In fact, he said, "We generally advocate to our clients, stay away from celebrities if you can, unless it's going to bring you a lot of marketing value or you have some reason why a particular character should be voiced by a particular celebrity."

"It's amazing how often you do find exceptions. Using celebrities is not something that should be completely wiped out of the industry," he said. "But if you don't have a good reason to do it, you're really better off paying a voice-acting professional minimum or double rates to do it. You're going to have a better product and that's really what's important."

Among those who fit into the "good reason to do it" category is none other than former U.S. President Bill Clinton, who Chapelsky said was asked to provide the voice of President Eden in Fallout 3. "Wouldn't that have been brilliant?" he said. "You get to that point in game and you hear that voice in the ether coming from off-camera and you're like, 'I know that guy!'"

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
It's funny, because when I heard Malcolm McDowell's voice coming from the eyebot, I went: "I know that guy! It's what's his name! From A Clockwork Orange! He always plays really evil people! Oh..."

Also, I probably wouldn't have bought Bill Clinton as a giant supercomputer. Could you imagine him pressing you to dump the poison in the purifier? It would just be funny to hear him talk about supermutants.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Anthony Hopkins saying that acting is hooey and anyone can do it makes me feel happy. I've always thought my amatuer thespian dreams were a bit silly being that I am a very large ugly man. Oh well there's always the Chris Farley demographic.

There's still hope with actors like Jack Black who appreciate videogames. I'm waiting for the first VA to break out into legitimate film. Honestly though the mediums are almost inteirly different.

PS: You want an actor who works hard, stage/broadway actors work goddamn hard for alot less money then their hollywood counterparts.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
For some reason this article makes me think of some celebrity looking to get a lot of money really fast going up to a videogame in a trench coat who pulls open one side to show them a mic and a lot of cash.
"Hey actor, come take a look at this shit."

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
odubya23 said:
Please, Mr Stewart, return that award you got for Oblivion, it really was the worst I've heard you do, I have been a fan from your Gurney Halleck in Lynch's Dune, I thought your Leondegrance was pure Hollywood gold in Boorman's Excalibur. But your Uriel Septim just sounded bored and tired and like you couldn't believe that your career had brought you to videogames.
I couldn't agree more. Stewart stuck a stamp on that performance and mailed it in. If you're going to give any awards for voice acting to Oblivion, give one to Wes Johnson for voicing Lucien Lachance, a voice job so good that Johnson put it on his demo reel. Let's make Jeff Baker (who voiced the Dunmer in Morrowind and who voiced Haskill in Shivering Isles) a household name while we're at it.

If I were making a video game, I'd make a point to hire voice actors who care about voice acting, and I'd throw a deal-sweetener in to the VAs' contracts: the ending to my game would play like the ending to a movie with closing credits. Y'know, action shots of the characters, then a pause and "Wes Johnson as Lucien Lachance" or something like that (of course, in my dream world I hire a voice actor for every unique character and put real effort into the sound design...) and finish with "[PLAYERNAME] as Himself/Herself" since any game I designed in an RPG/story-based genre would be a faceless-avatar/open-world type game.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Wow...Bill Clinton in Fallout 3.

THAT would have been strangely awesome. But I still prefer Mr. McDowell's voice. Very distinctive. Very creepy. Very cool.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
The Shade said:
Wow...Bill Clinton in Fallout 3.

THAT would have been strangely awesome. But I still prefer Mr. McDowell's voice. Very distinctive. Very creepy. Very cool.
Honestly, it would have made my life. I could die happily if I heard Bill Clinton as President Eden. That just... would've been the best.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
Considering there are loads of actors that regularly do VG work, as well as all those that do animation, you'd think there would be such a vast pool of reasonably priced and high quality talent.

The original two Fallout games had their share of hollywood talent though (I may be stretching that slightly!), including Ron Perlman (one of the few constants in the series), Richard Dean Anderson, Michael Dorn and Dwight Schultz (a.k.a Murdoch from the A-Team!).

Although one of my favourite VG voice actors has to be David Warner, the voice of Jon Irenicus from BG2 (and also a moderately famous British actor in mostly TV and a few films.)

jackiebrown22222

Jun 5, 2008
It's really a sad shame that Hollywood actors would get paid bundles and bundles for voice acting just because of their status and reputation and turn out bad performances because they aren't used to doing voice acting, when very many professional voice actors barely get paid to get by in life without a second job, especially actors who dub anime, which is the most difficult type of voice acting there is, and get a FRACTION of the price that voice actors who do videogames, cartoons, and other voicework get.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
who the hell cares if some a-list celeb does voice acting? you can't tell MOST of the time, and it eats up a big chunk of the games budget.

"Well Fallout 3 is pretty short and lacks a good ending, but hey, at least we gave Neesom our 'add more game' budget to be in it right... right? guys?"

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Two things: I actually prefer real voice actors that know how to do it. I'd rather a good actor like Billy West or John deMaggio than some talentless Hollywood hack.

Second: didn't Patrick Stewart do Lands of Lore back in the olden times when the cd was becoming the new thing?

Thirdly but a bit related even if I said '2 things': I'd buy any game if it had Stephen Fry in it.

Edit: Big name actors also distract me. I couldn't focus on Stewart in Oblivion. It was just Picard talking about prophecies. Mind you, I love the guy. Just not in my games. Liam Neeson was also a bit detrimental in F3. Love Malcolm MacDowel though. He's awesome.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
that would have been awesome if Bill Clinton was in Fallout 3, just hope they would have made an option to sleep with him