Question of the Day, October 22, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, October 22, 2010

This week, Dr.Mark discusses meeting online friends in real life. Have you ever met someone from online in person? Would you?

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Met the mother of my daughter online ages ago. Not together anymore, but at least I got something wonderful out of it.

6unn3r

Aug 12, 2008
Yep and we slept together about 40mins later, she cheated on her boyfriend to be with me and we saw each other regularly for 7 months. Crazy old world.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
I will be doing so next Thurday in fact at the Brothers without Banners (BwB) moot in Dublin. Yay! George RR Martin will be there as well as Joe Campo (search youtube "Get Joe On The Show")

cant wait

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
Yes, and it was one of the best decisions of my life. Made some great friends that way.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Again with the black and white options.

My reply would be yes, and it started off great, had some bad moments and a couple of years on we don't talk any more. Now I am a cynical bastard.

Naturally that kind of option would have been a bit complex but "Yes, it was okay" would have been adequate.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
I feel sorry for the (currently) three guys/girls who don't have any online friends. I'll be your friend!

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
Yep. Met quite a few people, actually. Despite the risks involved, being my age and gender, I've never had a bad experience, and I'm glad that I did it. In some cases though, it was weird to go back to talking to them online, knowing that you probably wouldn't see them again.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The Cheezy One said:
I feel sorry for the (currently) one guy who doesn't have any online friends. I'll be your friend!
How kind, although by "online friend" I tend to mean people online whom I speak to on a regular basis. There are plenty of people (on here as an example) that I like, but as I don't really chat to any of them outside of threads I wouldn't say that I am "friends" with them.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Legion said:
The Cheezy One said:
I feel sorry for the (currently) one guy who doesn't have any online friends. I'll be your friend!
How kind, although by "online friend" I tend to mean people online whom I speak to on a regular basis. There are plenty of people (on here as an example) that I like, but as I don't really chat to any of them outside of threads I wouldn't say that I am "friends" with them.
ah i see. Due to my childhood growing up in London then Newcastle, I count a friend as anyone who can talk to me without a pained look on their face. I am pathetic :)

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Yes, I've been to several meet-ups over the years. Some were great, some were just ok, none of them were bad.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I might be meeting someone who is taking a holiday to my town who I have known for a while, along with some of my friends.