Stunning Sonic Fan Game Gets Demo

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Stunning Sonic Fan Game Gets Demo

The Sonic fan game that gives Sonic 4 something to worry about is now playable.

The two-man programmer/designer team behind the Sonic Fan Remix, a spruced up remake of Sonic the Hedgehog 2, has released a short playable demo for people to download and try out.

Anyone who saw the video when we reported [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103992-Sonic-Fan-Project-Gives-Sonic-4-a-Run-for-its-Money ] on this project a few weeks ago - and for those who haven't seen it, it's just there to your right - will know that the game was a rather pleasing to the eye, and I'm happy to say that it looks just as good when you play it. It's got a decent feeling of speed too, which should make fans of the classic Sonic games happy.

Besides the graphical update, the team has added things that the original game never had, like weather effects and nighttime levels, along with neat little touches like Buzz Bombers with searchlights and a huge sign for "Robotland" - which looks quite a bit like the famous Hollywood sign - in the background. In some ways, it's a shame the game moves along so quickly, as there's a lot of things that the team has put that you might miss when you're racing past at full speed.

You can grab the demo either from the official site [http://sonicfanremix.com/], or from a download [http://sonicresearch.org/sonicfanremix/ ] mirror that was set up to handle the number of people wanting to give it a try. It's certainly worth a few minutes of your time, whether you're a long-time Sonic fan or not.

Source:GameSetWatch [http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2010/10/sonic_fan_remix_demo_released.php]

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
They need to get a torrent up of this, I can't even get on the site.

Edit: As I type that I the site shows me a torrent. Lovely!

Psychemaster

Everything in Moderation
Aug 18, 2008
To hell with the demo, all I want is that badass mix of the Sonic 2 Boss music that plays at the start of the video :D

FURY_007

Jun 8, 2008
thats friggin awesome, someone should do this with Super Mario Bros. the original

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
FURY_007 said:
thats friggin awesome, someone should do this with Super Mario Bros. the original
What would they do with the cloudbushes?

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
wow... Sega must be shitting a brick over how great this is in comparison to their sonic 4 which is made by professionals

edit: holy balls i just played it and its amazing the visuals tho a bit distracting are gorgeous and feel alive , the gameplay is spot on , music is marvelous its just amazing how 2 guys (i think its majorly just 2) made this. major props to them.

my only grip with the demo i that its rather heavy on the hardware i get like 15-25 fps on avg which is bad, i can play games like bioshock and valve games on max with decent fps but a 100 mb demo....

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Holy...! Amazing quality, visually stunning, great nostalgic gameplay once you adjust for it, and I even like the character design a lot more than the other post-2d Sonics. These guys should be very proud, and I hope Sega learns from this. This is what I want out of a Sonic sequel!

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
This looks so much better than Sonic 4 it's actually ridiculous. I just hope I can get home and download it before Sega pull the plug.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
OMG! This looks so much better then any Sonic gamae realeasd this year.

This is how a Sonic game should be like.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
That looks amazing. The kind of thing they would sell on xbl for 20 quid and people would call it a bargain.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Sonic 4, from the small bit I played of it, was not that bad. It reminded me a lot of the old sonic, and the lock on made the game have some aspects BETTER then the original.

THAT BEING SAID, I only played the demo. So the rest of the game could be a dog shit bullet. As for a remake of SOnic 2, it looks pretty nice. But I still have Sonic 2. Its just as great as ever, why throw a fresh coat of paint on it if you didnt need to?

This game is VERY impressive, and it makes me want to play Sonic 2... But why not go for an original sonic adventure? Just to show off your technology and whatnot. Still, very impressive.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Nevyrmoore said:
So they haven't been shut down yet?
Bah. SEGA isn't Nintendo. They're not THAT heartless with their fans.

katsabas said:
HIRE THESE GUYS!
If SEGA listens to Extra Credits at all, I hope they do just that.

The demo looks great, although I had to run it on the lowest settings, and there are only three levels so far. Still, for around 110 Mb, that's a lot of beautiful detail.

Sonic 4 isn't bad either. I've finished the game and enjoyed every second I played, but the recycled bosses were a bit lazy. Seeing the redesigns of the old Zones is always nice, however.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
I hope they get the time to release Sonic 2 in full.

EDIT: Just played it, Max settings easy, and it looks fantastic. I can't wait to see the finished game.

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
It's pretty, but it's awfully busy too. I can't really make out Sonic half of the time against the exact-same-shade background. A little contrast wouldn't go amiss there.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Bah, Sonic 4 has bigger things to worry about than a Sonic 2 fan remix. Like, say, it's completely terrible physics engine shitting all over SEGA's promises to make a game like the old Genesis titles.

I'm downloading this demo though; maybe if I squint hard enough I can pretend it's the real Sonic 4 and that SEGA succeeded for the first time since the 90's.

Hayate_GT

Mar 6, 2010
Psychemaster said:
To hell with the demo, all I want is that badass mix of the Sonic 2 Boss music that plays at the start of the video :D
same here...anyone knows where to find it...