Fuel Nabs Record For Biggest Game Ever

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008

Upcoming post-apocalyptic racing game Fuel has earned a mention in the Guinness records books for featuring more virtual real estate than any other game to date.

The game, under development by Asobo Studio and scheduled for publication by Codemasters later this year, offers 5,560 square miles of terrain for players to race their bikes, cars, and trucks across. Not all that impressive when you consider it all fits on one disc, but enough for the Fuel to appear in the Guinness World Records Gamer Edition, and earn the developers a sweet certificate of recognition.

The real question now is whether all this ethereal real estate can be put to good use or if players will have to contend with vast tracts of lonely nothingness. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was bad enough, and that game didn't have nearly the same landmass as Fuel.

Then again, Oblivion never had hovercrafts racing through lightning storms.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
The real question now is whether all this ethereal real estate can be put to good use or if players will have to contend with vast tracts of lonely nothingness. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was bad enough, and that game didn't have nearly the same landmass as Fuel.
*Shudder*, Reminds me of Just Cause for the original Xbox. It was something like 1,000 square miles, and there was VERY little to do. No matter how hard I tried to get into that game, I'd keep getting lost. I think I spent a good 80% of the time I played it just back tracking to where I was supposed to be.

cjbos81

Apr 8, 2009
Yay! Now I can feel as isolated from everyone in my virtual life as I do in real life.

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
Ummm... no, Daggerfall was fragging huge. I doubt this game can match that much landmass.

BBQ Platypus

Sep 23, 2008
sturryz said:
Ummm... no, Daggerfall was fragging huge. I doubt this game can match that much landmass.
Yeah, Daggerfall was bigger - the size of Great Britain, in fact. However, the land was all procedurally generated (and therefore random), and I'm assuming that Fuel's isn't.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
sunami88 said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
*Shudder*, Reminds me of Just Cause for the original Xbox. It was something like 1,000 square miles, and there was VERY little to do. No matter how hard I tried to get into that game, I'd keep getting lost. I think I spent a good 80% of the time I played it just back tracking to where I was supposed to be.
I loved just cause, And cant wait for just cause two (By the way...If you master the art of shooting someone, waiting for the police to arrive, and stealing their helicopter you can get anywhere quickly.) Although, it wasnt for original xbox - it was For the xbox 360, its just it was one of the earliest games...Although JC2 is coming out later this year ^^ Im Verreh excited...it is Mexican GTA.... with a bigger world.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Stubee said:
This game will suck hard. I mean seriously, games with smaller landmasses and LOTS to do get boring (Far cry 2, Just Cause, even GTA4). All this game has is driving....unless you can include sightseeing?
BBQ Platypus said:
sturryz said:
Yeah, Daggerfall was bigger - the size of Great Britain, in fact. However, the land was all procedurally generated (and therefore random), and I'm assuming that Fuel's isn't.
Technically couldnt you make a limitless landmass with randomly generated tiles?
It wont suck hard if I get to drive Motorbikes off of giant cliffs in a thunderstorm, and get hit by lightning halfway down and the bike explodes in a ball of fire and I skydive and of course have no parachute and wait like 30 seconds before hitting the ground in a gruesome splat. THATS what I call a success in a videogame.

iain62a

Oct 9, 2008
Stubee said:
This game will suck hard. I mean seriously, games with smaller landmasses and LOTS to do get boring (Far cry 2, Just Cause, even GTA4). All this game has is driving....unless you can include sightseeing?
BBQ Platypus said:
sturryz said:
Technically couldnt you make a limitless landmass with randomly generated tiles?
I'm pretty sure it would make your PC implode after a while, so that probably wouldn't work in a game.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Ashbax said:
I loved just cause, And cant wait for just cause two (By the way...If you master the art of shooting someone, waiting for the police to arrive, and stealing their helicopter you can get anywhere quickly.) Although, it wasnt for original xbox - it was For the xbox 360, its just it was one of the earliest games...Although JC2 is coming out later this year ^^ Im Verreh excited...it is Mexican GTA.... with a bigger world.
It was for the original Xbox too (check the Wiki [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Cause_(video_game)]). That's where I played it (the original Xbox that is - not the wiki haha).

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:

Upcoming post-apocalyptic racing game Fuel has earned a mention in the Guinness records books for featuring more virtual real estate than any other game to date.

The game, under development by Asobo Studio and scheduled for publication by Codemasters later this year, offers 5,560 square miles of terrain for players to race their bikes, cars, and trucks across. Not all that impressive when you consider it all fits on one disc, but enough for the Fuel to appear in the Guinness World Records Gamer Edition, and earn the developers a sweet certificate of recognition.

Then again, Oblivion never had hovercrafts racing through lightning storms.

Think the Guinness Book needs to start measuring some of the MMO's out there, EQ is easily 5 times the size of Oblivion, if not larger.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Stubee said:
Ashbax said:
Stubee said:
BBQ Platypus said:
sturryz said:
It wont suck hard if I get to drive Motorbikes off of giant cliffs in a thunderstorm, and get hit by lightning halfway down and the bike explodes in a ball of fire and I skydive and of course have no parachute and wait like 30 seconds before hitting the ground in a gruesome splat. THATS what I call a success in a videogame.
Except that's like 45 seconds of what you consider fun. Once you have done that like 7 times (with about 7 hours driving in-between trying to find another cliff) you will be bored.
Ah, but once im finished doing that ill make a video of it, Then play it BACKWARD. IN SLOW MOTION..(Thats how they make the final fantasy games, by the way) Then find something similiar to do, Ergo, Find a fire, ride through it until im on fire, and have a dance party. Except with Motorcycles. And it will be awesome.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
asinann said:
Think the Guinness Book needs to start measuring some of the MMO's out there, EQ is easily 5 times the size of Oblivion, if not larger.
Beat me to it, MMO's are massive.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Bit off topic but imagine oblivion with hover crafts and lightning storms. On topic; I'm never that impressed with the size of a map I'd rather a much smaller map with loads to do. I'd rather have my gamine "concentrated" as it were, I do really like oblivion though

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
It's a studio we never heard of making bold claims about being the very best in something and it's published by codemasters. I'll name a few other games that share the same stats:
Damnation
Clive Barker's Jericho
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty
Another fact common between these games is that they all suck.