Obsidian: Fallout New Vegas Has Bugs Because It's Big

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Obsidian: Fallout New Vegas Has Bugs Because It's Big

Obsidian says Fallout: New Vegas is such a big game that it'd be tough to release it without any bugs.

Obsidian Entertainment's bug here or there [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-New-Vegas-Pc/dp/B002SU4QG4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1287843150&sr=8-3]. Obsidian has already released a couple of patches for multiple versions to fix some of its issues, but that hasn't stopped gamers from questioning why these bugs exist in a final product. The answer is simply that Fallout: New Vegas is way huge, apparently.

Obsidian designer Chris Avellone recently told CVG that even a massive testing team isn't able to catch every bug in every game, especially one as gargantuan as New Vegas. "I think when you create a game as large as Fallout 3 or New Vegas you are going to run into issues that even a testing team of 300 won't spot, so we're just trying to address those as quickly as possible and so is Bethesda," he said.

"It's kind of like the bugs of the real world - the sheer expanse of what you're dealing with causes problems," Avellone added. Fallout 3 was known to have its own bugs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91468-Update-New-Fallout-3-DLC-Broken-Again] so it might not be possible to get games like these out of the door in perfect fashion. You could literally spend hundreds of hours wandering around the worlds of the latest Fallout titles, so can a QA department really be expected to find everything under the surface?

Ultimately, gamers might have to start expecting to be partial testers the first couple of weeks after certain games are released. A key trait of a good developer in my mind is one that understands it won't be able to catch every bug and that it'll have to listen to the community to catch common bugs early on. Avellone continued: "The Bethesda teams are tracking a lot of issues that should be addressed in the patches and we're also playing the game in our QA department to fix any other issues we can find on our end. What we do is come on to the forums and make sure that even common issues we spot there we can get testers looking at."

If Obsidian was resting on its laurels and taking vacations immediately after New Vegas hit shelves, you might have a mind to criticize the studio. However, with patches released just a couple of days after release, it appears to be doing all it can. Is it realistically possible for developers under time and budget constraints to catch every bug in a game like New Vegas, or does the game seem rushed into stores without proper testing?

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=271206]

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I'm sure they could've fixed these bugs because they're the same bugs that were in Fallout 3, and it's the same damn size. And the same damn engine. That and it's been 2 years.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
So is Fallout 3. Dragon Age. World of Warcraft. Final Fantasy games before XIII.

Just because your game is big doesnt excuse releasing a shoddy product. EVER.

If you had to delay the game 2 months to fix the bugs, delay it 2 months. But dont make excuses for bugs. Expecially when one of the bugs occurs at the VERY beggining of the game.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Oblivion. InFamous. Prototype. Saints Row 2. Many others. All big. All playable. Shitheads at Obsidian are inexcusable. We're not talking about some bugs, we're talking about completely broken game.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
I'm sure they could've fixed these bugs because they're the same bugs that were in Fallout 3, and it's the same damn size. And the same damn engine. That and it's been 2 years.
Exactly!
No game is perfect, but damn it these guys didn't even fix problems from the previous one.

So no, excuses wont do, fix your sh*t!

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
So, the game being big has something to do with it being the only Gamebryo game that goes gaga all over my soundcard? I tried the FDDShow thing, I even installed it just in case someone installed it at any time on my PC.
But considering it is an Obsidian Game, seeing patches for it is comforting enough.

Apr 28, 2008
Ok, they're right. The game is big and will have bugs.

But a bug that resets saved games? A very large bug in one of the very key systems of the game? How in the fuck could that one slip you by?!

RAMBO22

Jul 7, 2009
I haven't played New Vegas yet, but these bugs are excusable I think. If Fallout NV is even close to being as big as Fallout 3, then it's probably realistic to forecast that there will be bugs after the initial release of the game.

Bigger game (generally)= more coding= more chance for coding error= more chance for "bugs"

That would be my synopsis of why big games have more bugs

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
Hell, my dick wooden yardstick is massive, and last time I checked there weren't any bugs on it.

I don't buy that excuse one bit. You made this game that big, Obsidian.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
This is part of the reason I'm waiting to pick it up after most of the bugs have been patched.
Still, based solely on what I've heard, I would have to say I think that they should have delayed it for at least a month. Some of the bugs are so obvious (spinning head guy, anyone?) that they would have been bound to catch it after a while.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
They rushed it out way to fast. They should have waited another year to find all the bugs and even given out beta codes to people with lots of free time to help find the problems. I haven't played it myself but I've been told by workers at game shops to wait a few months before buying the game because of the bugs. It goes to show you that if a retailer is telling you to wait, you should wait.

Also I don't have confidence in them because all the problems in Fallout 3 before the GOTY edition was released were never fixed in the PS3 version of Fallout 3 GOTY.

HeySeansOnline

Apr 17, 2009
You know, this could be accepted, if there was the occasional AI bug, or maybe the physics spinning a ghoul to the moon, but the sheer number of problems seen, no. Oblivion was able to work so when it was released a couple of years ago, and of course Fallout 3 worked, and they had their share of bugs, but they weren't game breaking.

So who wants to have a most hated contest, Bobby Kotick, Jack Thompson, or Obsidian, who do you despise the most?

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Ya know.... bigger game means more bug testing and more beta testing... oh wait it has to go to market now? oh well then....... ya know I am tired of their excuses either do it right the first time(ya know polish the mechanics and do proper amounts of bug and beta testing) or just say sorry working on the bugs now, anything else is disingenuous.....

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Sorry I don't buy that excuse one bit. As glaringly obvious as most of these bugs are they should have had more than enough time to have a day one patch ready to go that fixed a good 70-80 percent of them. I can't speak for everyone, but I don't pay sixty dollars to be a glorified beta tester.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
HeySeansOnline said:
You know, this could be accepted, if there was the occasional AI bug, or maybe the physics spinning a ghoul to the moon, but the sheer number of problems seen, no. Oblivion was able to work so when it was released a couple of years ago, and of course Fallout 3 worked, and they had their share of bugs, but they weren't game breaking.

So who wants to have a most hated contest, Bobby Kotick, Jack Thompson, or Obsidian, who do you despise the most?
Quest items and people falling through the map breaking the game is not game breaking? 0-o

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
Bugs relating to quests or weird physics or really anything gameplay related I could probably accept. But like Shamus Young said, getting your savegame borked by the game itself is just stupid and a bug that should have been caught and fixed before release.

FlikViktor

Jun 15, 2009
How bout everyone quit your crying and grow up. If you can't handle some bugs in a game then don't play it. I wanna see these people who cry about the game try and design a game even a quarter the size of New Vegas and see how may bugs you have.