Amazon, eBay Now Prohibiting R4 Sales

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Amazon, eBay Now Prohibiting R4 Sales

Nintendo made significant headway in its crusade against the sale of DS flashcarts like the R4 when it revealed today that eBay and Amazon are now prohibiting sales of all flashcart devices.

While Nintendo's still a long ways away from getting the United States to declare the R4 DS flashcart illegal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89792-Japan-Makes-DS-R4-Card-Illegal] like they now are in Japan, the company is making big strides in its quest to get these devices, which allow DS users to play homebrew games as well as pirate retail ones, banned from the American marketplace. Recently, the company announced that it has convinced eBay and Amazon to prohibit sales of the R4 and similar products.

"Nintendo is pleased with the co-operation it has received from both eBay and Amazon to prevent the sales of game copying devices," Nintendo of America's head of anti-piracy Jodie Daughtery told MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/34374/Nintendo-cripples-DS-R4-piracy-threat].

While independent retailers pledged to cease sales last year, Amazon and eBay continued to allow them until now. Not that Amazon was selling these things directly: sales were taking place in the Amazon Marketplace, where third-party businesses can hock their wares on Amazon with the site taking a commission.

"We have a 'notice and take down' process at Amazon," Amazon UK games director Chris Poad explained. "So where a third party believes that their IP has been infringed, they can highlight it and we can take it down. This is what happened in the case of the R4."

eBay, meanwhile, maintained that it prohibits sellers from listing any "hardware or software that allows people to make unauthorized copies of copyrighted games," and are removing any listings for flashcarts.

Of course anyone who's got a little bit of knowledge about how to navigate the back alleys of the internet or lives close to a store that just doesn't care what Nintendo thinks can still find a flashcart, but with independent retailers already committed to banning sales and now two major and easily accessible online retailers stepping in line with Nintendo, it just got a bit harder to buy an R4 in the US.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
It's a good thing that they do that. The R4 (and everything like it) basically destroys the DS games market.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
How can they do this? I used to think these devices could not be called 'illegal' because legitimate data can be stored on them.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Brotherofwill said:
How can they do this? I used to think these devices could not be called 'illegal' because legitimate data can be stored on them.
A company can choose to sell or not sell anything they want. If Amazon, eBay wanted to stop selling cheese. They are within their rights to do so. The cards themselves are not illegal yet(except in Japan), they are simply not going to carry them is all.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Keane Ng said:
eBay, meanwhile, maintained that it prohibits sellers from listing any "hardware or software that allows people to make unauthorized copies of copyrighted games,"
Unless Ebay has never sold any computer hardware at all this is utter bullshit.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Slycne said:
Brotherofwill said:
A company can choose to sell or not sell anything they want. If Amazon, eBay wanted to stop selling cheese. They are within their rights to do so. The cards themselves are not illegal yet(except in Japan), they are simply not going to carry them is all.
Ah ok, thanks for the clarification.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Nimbus said:
Keane Ng said:
eBay, meanwhile, maintained that it prohibits sellers from listing any "hardware or software that allows people to make unauthorized copies of copyrighted games,"
Unless Ebay has never sold any computer hardware at all this is utter bullshit.
That's what I thought. Ever heard of a rewritable CD?

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Brotherofwill said:
Technically the R4 is an interface device that allows the DS to read Micro SDs, an innovation Nintendo IS JUST NOW grasping with the DSi.

What the SD card is used for is an entirely different matter depending on the person, nor do I really expect Nintendo to harness the capabilities of what could be done with their system. Their shunning of homebrew is pretty much a slap in the face of their fans, allowing Microsoft to shine in the area.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
I personally refuse to use an R4. I much prefer buying my games and smelling the inside of the box...The manual is the best. Seriously! Smell it! its the best in the world. New game smell. Applies for EVerything - PC, Xbox, PS3, PSP, (Not GB(A) ) DS...It really makes you feel like, well, a gamer. Like those days you realise youve been playing TF2 for eight hours without stopping...or maybe thats just me, Cause I love TF2. Incidentally...Due to complications I cant play the PC version right now, WHICH FUCKING PISSES ME OFF BECAUSE OF THE TOURNAMENT :mad:

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
See, this tears me because while I hate pirating, I love homebrews and I wish there was a Nintendo supported way to create your own games without the stigma of probably being a pirate because you want this particular item.

Though to be honest I haven't tried to use or make any homebrews on the DS, but I love supporting the little guy.

Jimmyjames

Jan 4, 2008
Good. There is no legitimate reason to own these for anything other than piracy and unauthorized homebrew.

iJosh

Nov 21, 2007
This is shit.

I already have 2 R4's. But still.

You know you are desperate for money when ...

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
harhol said:
Vlane said:
The R4 (and everything like it) basically destroys the DS games market.
I doubt 99% of DS owners have even heard of the R4.

This move seems kinda pointless since anyone who wanted one would have bought it months if not years ago.
I've never heard of one.

Seems like the device is used primarily for piracy, so I would be against it. Though it could have been made for other purposes so I won't judge it, at least until I learn more about it.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
iJosh said:
This is shit.

It's not about being desperate for money, stop acting petulant. Look I think it's kind of a shitty decision too because it hurts the homebrew community, but blaming Nintendo for taking a legitimate stance against software piracy is pointless. Blame the pirates, they're the ones who ruined it.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
Jimmyjames said:
Good. There is no legitimate reason to own these for anything other than piracy and unauthorized homebrew.
Unauthorized homebrew is a legitimate reason.

-- Alex

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
AceDiamond said:
iJosh said:
This is shit.

It's not about being desperate for money, stop acting petulant. Look I think it's kind of a shitty decision too because it hurts the homebrew community, but blaming Nintendo for taking a legitimate stance against software piracy is pointless. Blame the pirates, they're the ones who ruined it.
Well I doubt this has left much of a dent in Nintendos sales. The DS certainly isn't declining in the hand held market. So while it definitely saves them some profits, it does so at the cost of shutting down the community. I'm not sure the profits they get from this warrants the action. People criticize Nintendo for not caring about the fans.