Gearbox: Industry "Bullies" Should "Move the F*ck Aside"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Gearbox: Industry "Bullies" Should "Move the F*ck Aside"

Randy Pitchford has had enough of government legislators trying to impose rules on the videogame industry.

Despite legislation that regulates the sale of videogames to minors constantly being struck down time after time, a California law is once again already working [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102204-Eleven-States-Join-California-at-the-Supreme-Court]. Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford is annoyed that such legislation is ever even drawn up, and wants it to stop for good.

Pitchford talked to CVG about the line of what's acceptable and what's not in today's videogames and other media. While he admits the studio's walks that line [http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Pc/dp/B002I0JAJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287951239&sr=8-1], he believes that it's important to challenge neutral regulatory bodies like the ESRB from time to time with such products to know where that line is.

Pitchford's major problem comes from crusading government regulators that think they need to go beyond the ESRB, and First Amendment, to ban the sale of these games. It doesn't make a lick of sense to him. "Seriously, things like Duke really aren't offending anyone," Pitchford said. "But some people need to act like they do, for some reason."

"Sometimes people will say: 'You know what, that offends me,' and that's fine," he continued. "If something offends you, you have to decide how to deal with the the best way you can. But it's when people decide: 'Well that offends me, so now it should offend everyone else. And, in fact, because I think it should offend everyone else, I believe that we should make a rule about such things.'"

Pitchford calls government legislators "bullies" and said: "Those people just need to get the f*ck off the bus ... We need to stop them. We need to get away from those people - certainly take the keys away from them ... They need to just move the f*ck aside."

Something that has always confused me is how legislators find cause to ignore the fact that every videogame law has been struck down. It's not even close, the videogame industry holds a perfect record against laws such as the one going to the Supreme Court. Does this speak to waste and incompetency that may plague the United States government, or do people truly believe that kids need to be legally protected from games? I, like Pitchford, find myself wondering when these government "bullies" will grow a brain, for lack of a better term, or just go away. Even if the Supreme Court strikes down the law, I doubt the issue will end there.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=271303]

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Certainly no law has passed yet.. but said laws do exist in other countries, and all it really takes is one to pass in the US (particularly if it happens at the Supreme level).

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Congratulations, Gearbox. That made sense. Please don't censor Duke Nukem Forever, I'm tired of the people who are cutting their games to pieces so noone get's offended.
Also, the sucky thing is that these people are too stupid to not notice that it's been rejected so many times, and they're going to try again even if this fails.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Take that, you bastards! He makes a good point, but I think they may hold the use of swears against him.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
if this passes...im going to bring up smoking as a major thing here..it offends me that people would do that and anytime im near it i get physically sick...it should only be sold to people over the age of 85......

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
Certainly no law has passed yet.. but said laws do exist in other countries, and all it really takes is one to pass in the US (particularly if it happens at the Supreme level).
Uhh... No law pertaining video games exist here... Maybe that's how poor this country is... :/

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
I agree with Gearbox. And, if the supreme court upholds this law, I will buy 200 copies of Duke Nukem Forever and give them out to eight year old kids.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
I wouldn't say that all the decisions striking down attempts to restrict game content should have sent a clear message to legislators that further attempts are futile. The opinion in Entertainment Software Association v. Swanson (three-judge panel of the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals), while finding against the law at issue, does signal some regret on the part of the court for having no alternative but to do so:

"Whatever our intuitive (dare we say commonsense) feelings regarding the effect [of violent video games, precedent requires undeniable proof that such violence causes psychological dysfunction].

The requirement of such a high level of proof may reflect a refined estrangement from reality, but apply it we must . . . ."

That sort of clearly stated reluctance doesn't do much to quell legislative attempts.

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
Well said, Gearbox.

What a good deal of legislators need to realize, in my humble opinion, is that there are laws and policies in place that already regulate the games. They're doing it as good or better then any other industry in my experience, and there've been alot worse said, done and implied in books and movies.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
The problem with the US is while a majority of people simply don't care about other people's business, a very vocal minority makes no attempt to understand the habits of people who believe in anything contrary to their shortsighted beliefs. It happens with art, it happens with television, it happens to music, and it's happening to video games. If any form of media is allowed to be censored, you essentially value the opinion of one group and devalue the other half of society. Unfortunately, the government is most apt to bend over backwards for rich, Caucasian, Christian nuclear families (aka the Fox News demographic), flinging aside the concerns of every other group that exists. As terrible as that sounds, just look at the attempts to disparage Obama by calling him a Muslim. Why that should have a bearing on his ability to act as figurehead for a country is beyond me. I'm very sick of seeing very specific demographics attempting to steer legislature in a way that only appeals to their small group of "acceptable values". I heartily support Randy and Gearbox's assertion that we should oppose groups that feel like they need to impose their beliefs on society through manipulation of the law.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
SlainPwner666 said:
Well said, Gearbox.

What a good deal of legislators need to realize, in my humble opinion, is that there are laws and policies in place that already regulate the games. They're doing it as good or better then any other industry in my experience, and there've been alot worse said, done and implied in books and movies.
There are private policies that regulate the sale of video games but there are no laws that do so -- not unless and until California's law is upheld by SCOTUS.

Alden Hou

Mar 19, 2010
wtf is this? theres a global recession, healthcare is bs, there is white collar crime everywhere, and society just sucks overall, and these people are focusing on a mainly supepficial form of entertainment?! get bent you legislators!

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
Why do I get the feeling that there will be another prohibition... This time involving video games.

Also, Pitchford is my new best friend.

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
It's nice to hear someone not cencoring themselves while talking about this issue. A lot of people these days just need to grow some balls and/or tougher skin.

Manicotti

Apr 10, 2009
I like Pitchford's style. Trigger-happy moral guardians are the cancer that's killing /b/ this country.

Dec 14, 2009
Oh noes! America might end up having the same system that Europe has in regards to selling vidogames to minors!

Holy Cthulu zombie balls!

[sub]Seriously, it's not even that big a deal...[/sub]

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
This only reinforces my love for Gearbox. And yes, this law is simply stupid, and the US government need to grow some brains to realize that it's just as stupid as it sounds (for the lack of better words).

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Fully agreed with Gearbox. Although not in the States myself, things like what California is attempting to do with video games is just not tolerated.

..Don't even get me started on the PTC in regards to this.