Second Life CEO Steps Down

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Second Life CEO Steps Down

Eleven years after he created Second Life, Philip Rosedale is abdicating his position as CEO of Linden Lab in order to work on a new venture, "LoveMachine."

Philip Rosedale, the man who founded Linden Lab and created Second Life, has revealed that he's moving on for something new. Rosedale has announced that he's instead going to focus on his new startup: LoveMachine. In order to do this, the man is stepping down from his position as CEO.

Even though he's been a member of Linden's board since 1999, Rosedale's only functioned as CEO for the past four months, since Mark Kingdon wound up stepping down from the position.

According to Rosedale (via the LoveMachine blog), though, he'll still be involved with Second Life and Linden Lab: "I'll be leaving day-to-day management of the company and continuing in my role on the board, including helping in the search to find a great CEO."

Despite the fact that LoveMachine sounds more like the name of a skeevy dating site than a legitimate company, it's apparently working on a number of ambiguous projects dealing with virtual currency and AI technologies. Whether or not it will deal with flying penis attacks remains to be seen.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-10-21-second-life-founder-steps-down>GamesIndustry.biz

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
"Love Machine"? 0_O Sounds...interesting.

I'm sure there will be at least 10 or 20 flying penis attacks though....

Apr 16, 2009
Despite the fact that Second Life is more like a skeevy dating site than a legitimate game, it's apparently working on a number of ambiguous player-made projects dealing with virtual dongs and AI sexbots. Whether or not it will deal with flying penis attacks is obvious.

CheeseGamer

Apr 2, 2010
Second Life has a CEO?

I've always kind of assumed that it was some form of anarchy. Also, pseudoresignation note copy-pasted from Bill Gates much?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Charli said:
Finally realized how boring that over hyped life sim is?
Well it's not really a game.

OT: It's been around for 11 years? I only heard about it 3 years ago at most.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Second Life prime example of how a good idea that was brought down by not strongly enforcing community standards. I don't see this new company being very successful.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Second Life is still around? The only place I ever hear about it is in business-school textbooks alongside all the other hilariously dated references (including one in my IS textbook about the innovative genius of Robert Nardelli, who has since run two companies---Home Depot and Chrysler---into the ground.)

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
I'm slightly terrified aboutt LoveMachine, I can only imagine what it could be.

My guess? E-strip clubs, including the whole "tipping" thing.

silentsentinel

Mar 16, 2008
I remember using Second Life for autism treatment programs and cancer models.

But I suppose it's all floating penises now.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Love Machine? That's me! I could make millions off the trademark. To the copyrightmobile!

I kid.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
flying penis attacks...where did that come from???

haha but eh I only touched Second Life cuz my [ex]girlfriend wanted me to try it out with her

meh...

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Speaking as an occasional resident of Second Life, this won't change much. "Philip Linden" as the community knows him rarely interacted directly with the grid and its residents anyway. Virtual life will go on for the citizens of that strange, glitchy world. I do miss it occasionally, but most of the people who've posted so far in this thread really don't understand it or have any conception of what it's good for... I only stopped using it because it stopped being useful to me.

ZacktheWolf

Jun 7, 2010
I'm still a SLer from time to time... I don't see Philip's stepping down affecting.... anything at all, really. Well, I'm sure some anti-Linden groups will go nuts, and sections of the community will all have their opinions and be at war over it, but that's about par for the course on SL. =/ I'll care when they [Linden Labs] start to.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Second Life pretty much was a "Love Machine" last I heard, so I guess the CEO is just feeling an urge to call a spade a spade (with a penis attached).