Smellable Games Are Decades Away

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Smellable Games Are Decades Away

Are you ready to smell your games? Yes? Well then be ready to wait a couple decades, because researchers at Birmingham University have hit a few snags in getting their videogame smell-o-vision technology to actually work.

When Birmingham University [Smellable Games Are Decades Away] to create a system that uses aromatic wax, a fan and a PC to potentially create games that you could not only see and hear, but smell, the potential seemed endless. Suddenly NBA 2K becomes ten times as immersive when you can smell Charles Barkley's sweat while posting up deep in the paint. You'd fire off a mortar in Gears of War and catch the scent of smoke and cinder in the air.

Well it turns out that the engineers at Birmingham may have revealed their project a little bit too soon. According to research director Bob Stone, the "delivery mechanism is clunky" and the "technology doesn't work, not at the moment anyway." Stone sounds decidedly pessimistic about the project, pointing to the inherent flaws of a smell-centric mechanical system.

"As long as you've got something that needs to be physically wafted at the human face you'll have delivery problems because it's going to be noisy, clunky and you'll not be able to remove the smell," Stone said.

He also downplayed the potential impact it could have for games: "If you can create great content which makes your hairs stand on end using visuals and music, then what's the smell going to add to that?"

Stone thinks there could be some use for smells in games, but that the idea is most likely a dead end. "With current levels of technology and, bearing in mind the complexity of how smell is linked to memory, spatial awareness and even emotion, I can't see how it's going to be used," he said. "We're looking at 20 to 30 years before this technology works."

On second thought, maybe I don't want to smell Charles Barkley.

[Via IncGamers [http://www.incgamers.com/News/16501/]]

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/21626156@N02/2509246163/])

WinkyTheGreat

Sep 6, 2008
I'm not sure I'd want to play some games with smell.... I mean, what would Half Life 2 smell like when you started running into Zombies?

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
My main interest in this is simply as a stepping stone to amazing virtual reality. I think it is worth as many years as it takes.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Given the sewer level is a staple of the FPS, I've got to ask: Does anybody really want this in a video game?

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
stupid idea. Look at the content of most games! 90% of what's pumping through your smelly box would be blood, gunpowder, and rotting corpse flavor.

Socken

Jan 29, 2009
WinkyTheGreat said:
I'm not sure I'd want to play some games with smell.... I mean, what would Half Life 2 smell like when you started running into Zombies?
Imagine the Mighty Poo in Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Fanboy

Oct 20, 2008
When the tech is finally perfected expect a sudden explosion in sales of Cooking Mama games.

WinkyTheGreat

Sep 6, 2008
Socken said:
WinkyTheGreat said:
Imagine the Mighty Poo in Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Oh god... I know this is talking specifically about games, but what if it goes to movies? Imagine the Golgothan (shit demon) in Dogma....

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Am I the only one who would love the smell of sulfur, smoke, blood and cordite attacking me while I play an FPS?

Combine it with surround sound and my HD Samsung and it makes for some pretty intense gaming.

But I suppose the potential is there for more excrement based gaming.

Swings and roundabouts I guess.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
well if it's a shooter just take 2 previously fired gun shell cases and putt them up your nose lol but seriously no ,i wouldn't want that just fix and perfect what we have first then we'll look at smell-o-gaming

Tim Buck II

May 22, 2009
WinkyTheGreat said:
Exactly!

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Yes, it would be more realistic to have tons of smoke blown in my face whenever a mortar exploded next to me in a WWII FPS.

Would it be more fun? No, not really.

There are some things games just don't really need.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
They've tried adding smell to movies on multiple occasions, never worked. Let's do it for games, wooo! Really, I don't want to smell the blood and tears of my enemies.

JC175

Feb 27, 2009
WanderFreak said:
Knight Templar said:
Given the sewer level is a staple of the FPS, I've got to ask: Does anybody really want this in a video game?
That was the first thing I thought of.

When 99/100 games are legally required to contain a sewer level, must we, MUST we, have the ability to smell the rancid feces?
Perhaps this will encourage the use of a new, revolutionary, Doom 3 flashlight-esque melee weapon that leaves you utterly helpless yet strangely relaxed: the pressurised can of Air Freshener.