Homefront Novel Tells Story of Korea Invading U.S. in 2027

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Homefront Novel Tells Story of Korea Invading U.S. in 2027

Using the dreaded buzzword "transmedia," THQ announced a tie-in novel for Homefront co-written by the game's author.

While the game may not be my particular cup of tea (Earl Grey, hot), I'm actually very interested in the story behind the Korean invasion of America in Homefront. John Milius, the director and co-writer of the 80's Red Dawn, has crafted a bleak picture of the occupation of the U.S. after its military and society are broken by years of economic hardship and political unrest. Today, as part of its grand "transmedia strategy" for the Homefront, THQ announced that a novel penned by Milius and Raymond Benson (veteran of many novels based videogame and movie franchises such as James Bond and Splinter Cell) will be released at the same time as the game. Homefront is due out in March on the PC, the PS3 and Xbox 360.

"Homefront represents a fascinating vision of the near future," said John Milius, who I will forever picture as Walter from The Big Leboswki because the Coen brothers allegedly based the character on him [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104561-THQ-Thanks-Korea-for-Helping-to-Sell-Homefront]. "After completing my work on the game, it became clear that there were many more stories to tell, and this book will offer a chilling look at this near-future world."

The story of Homefront seems custom-made for those with interests in alternate history or post-apocalyptia. In 2027, the U.S. is abandoned by all its allies and is therefore susceptible to an attack by a United Korea under the Kim Jong Il's son. The player must join the Resistance and fight guerrilla-style against the invaders in walled suburban towns across the American countryside.

"We're delighted to confirm the first element of what will become a vast transmedia strategy for Homefront," said Danny Bilson, VP of Core Games at THQ. "John Milius has already worked with us extensively on the Homefront game, and we're thrilled to have him and Raymond on board as we develop our near-future world into other types of media."

Bilson seems to be hinting that this "transmedia strategy" is just beginning. Let me guess, there will be a comic book set in the Homefront universe. Or maybe, an animated short? Action figures? What do you guys think?

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Mackheath said:
Huh. Considering the US could annihilate the North with a button this doesn't seem like the most realistic setting.

Still, I'll give it a chance and keep an eye out.
Well the excuse is that the U.S. is severly weakened, but it does still seem incredibly contrived to me; more so than even MW2.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
we seem obsessed with the idea of having to defend against an invasion despite the fact the odds of that ever happening are fantastically unlikely, although Ive heard that in the plot of the game we first go tho a civil war and they invade while thats going on or something

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Mackheath said:
Huh. Considering the US could annihilate the North with a button this doesn't seem like the most realistic setting.

Still, I'll give it a chance and keep an eye out.
Yup Micky said it best.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Worgen said:
we seem obsessed with the idea of having to defend against an invasion despite the fact the odds of that ever happening are fantastically unlikely, although Ive heard that in the plot of the game we first go tho a civil war and they invade while thats going on or something
America is still one of my favorite battlefronts. We don't see it often enough in my mind and I really enjoy the familiar setting as I move from house to house. Unlikely or not, at least it hasn't yet been done to death *coughnormandycough*

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
The idea that North Korea could ever pose a threat to the US is laughable. On top of that, more likely it'll be China who invades the US when we can't pay them back the trillions of dollars we owe them.

Mr.Gompers

Dec 27, 2009
Sounds interesting, though I can't figure out why Korea would ever attempt to invade the U.S.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Gxas said:
Worgen said:
America is still one of my favorite battlefronts. We don't see it often enough in my mind and I really enjoy the familiar setting as I move from house to house. Unlikely or not, at least it hasn't yet been done to death *coughnormandycough*
I suppose altho a real invasion is really hard because we have the ultimate defense, a couple big ass oceans... I wonder why its north korea and not someplace we share a border with like mexico or canada

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ensiferum said:
The idea that North Korea could ever pose a threat to the US is laughable. On top of that, more likely it'll be China who invades the US when we can't pay them back the trillions of dollars we owe them.
that would really work out in our favor since as soon as they go to war with us we get to wipe out our debt

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Worgen said:
Gxas said:
Worgen said:
I suppose altho a real invasion is really hard because we have the ultimate defense, a couple big ass oceans... I wonder why its north korea and not someplace we share a border with like mexico or canada

All seriousness joking aside, Korea is the most legitimate threat at the moment. Aside from the Middle East, of course. But no invasion would come from the Middle East, they don't have the man-power for an assault. Insurgency is all they can really muster at the moment.

JohanGasMask

Jun 25, 2009
I thought that you would play as a Korean soldier in this game, but stupid me didint realize this game id written by the guy who co-wrote the "Red Dawn" movie, witch was about a civilian resistance fighting the Soviets with guerilla tactics across the American countryside. The only thing that he change was replacing Soviets with North-Korean.
Dammit! I want to play a Soviet soldier gunning down American High school students!

Sh0ckFyre

Jun 27, 2009
I'm looking forward to this game. I like how they're completely throwing away patriotism and turning America into nothing but a warzone. (Instead of just a city or two in Modern Warfare 2.)

And it comes as no surprise that the world would turn their backs on America; we do have a tendency to be massive pricks but when we want something we ask nicely. And by nicely, I mean threaten with attacks.

Vyress

Jul 12, 2010
Mr.Gompers said:
Sounds interesting, though I can't figure out why Korea would ever attempt to invade the U.S.
You don't know much about NORTH Korea then.
This article speaks of a United Korea which would mean by 2027 - according to this transcript - South Korea would have been taken over by North Korea. (they are on hostile terms) It's not about Korea invading; it's about North Korea invading South Korea and then the U.S.
Big difference.

South Korea and U.S. are allies. Just wanted to throw it out there.

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
Worgen said:
Ensiferum said:
that would really work out in our favor since as soon as they go to war with us we get to wipe out our debt
lol that's true