Genre Speak

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
It seems that there are more and more "genre-breaking" games released these days. This, and a recent discussion on RPGs here on our blog [http://blog.escapistmagazine.com/blog/2006/01/09/viewpoints_on_rpgs#comments], have got me thinking. Perhaps it's not so much that the games are breaking the genres. Perhaps it's more that the genres themselves are broken - before the game ever came on the scene. You see, no one can seem to agree upon what characteristics solidly define a genre.

I guess this is true of other media, as well. Over time, technology changes, and thus, game mechanics change. This will naturally introduce a certain amount of error into catagorizing games. Or perhaps we need to take a look at how we catagorize our games - less by game mechanic and more by subject matter?

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Original Comment by: Haarball

"less by game mechanic and more by subject matter?"

Ah, yes. I think you're quite right about that.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Original Comment by: Patrick Dugan
http://www.kingludic.blogspot.com
A new sort of mechanic I'm trying to explore is social dynamics and narrative-related challenge. If myself and other pioneers can flesh social challenge out (and we will) then you're definelty going to see a lot of genres supported by the category of mechanic, as well as literary and avante garde games which can't be pigeonholed into a genre.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Original Comment by: Tim
http://oghc.blogspot.com
"Perhaps it's not so much that the games are breaking the genres. Perhaps it's more that the genres themselves are broken..."

Julianne, you are blowing my mind. See that? That was my mind. It's blown now.

This has been a problem since the Elizabethan days of theater. Is a play a drama? A historical drama? A comedy? A tragi-comedy? A pastoral? A historical pastoral dama comedy? What criteria make it so? Who sets the criteria? Why do THEY get to decide? WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?!

I think its best if we just leave this question alone, for we may not like the answers. For all we know some secret cult of game classification will assasinate those who get too close to the truth. On the flipside, you might get to be a character in Random House's next best seller: "The Miyamoto Code."

Think about THAT ;)

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Original Comment by: Corvus
http://blog.pjsattic.com/corvus
Sounds a bit like my commentary on Genre is Dead, Long Live Genre [http://blog.pjsattic.com/corvus/2005/08/genre-is-dead-long-live-genre/]. I don't think we need to get rid of genre's, per se, but perhaps we need to change the way we use them.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
It's the Mysterious They again?! Damn them! *shakes fist at sky

Wait... what do you know about The Code, Tim? I believe They shall have to be informed immediately...

In all seriousness, yes, I know it's been broken for centuries. I mentioned that. I guess the thing is not to be surprised that we're having similar issues with our own preferred past time.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Original Comment by: Mark

Genres really only matter when the game development is being done as a marketing exercise rather than an artistic exercise. They're (somewhat outdated) guidelines that you follow to make a specific type of game - not categories that you try to fit games into. Genres are generalized formulas, and if you choose not to follow the formula then you can't reasonably expect your product to be recognizable as a product of any single formula.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Original Comment by: BacksideNine
http://www.boardroom.com
genres provide the same lame framework that somehow keeps sucking the good ol trusty boys back in.
Im looking at you, square-enix whores. Im pretty well beyond enjoying the good ol formulaic games. It gets old so quick now, playing all the way through becomes pointless.
You either level up, shave some seconds off a lap, kill the bad guy, solve the puzzle, punch your friend, or [insert whatever genre you think you like here].
Now, INNOVATIVE games that defy the typical "whatever" structure, those i can sit with for more than 20 minutes nowadays.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Original Comment by: Ferrous Buller
http://ferrousbuller.1up.com
As one of the more...argumentative peeps in that RPG thread, I've got a vested interest in this. :)

My seemingly paradoxical view: genre is simultaneously important and irrelevant.

By that I mean that having general guidelines as to what elements characterize different genres (adventure, action, RPG, etc.) is helpful when describing games, to provide a commonly accepted framework for certain basic gameplay principles. But trying to impose too rigid of a definition leads to meaningless arguments about whose definition to use, as happened in that RPG thread. In that case, Julianne and I seemed to agree on the basic elements of RPGs, but disagreed on the boundaries which defined those elements: I took something of an old-school "purist" view, while Julianne's was more flexible.

Furthermore, it's possible to get too hung up on dissecting and cataloging a game's various elements, slapping labels on every piece as you go, that you lose sight of the actual experience of playing the game. It's a bit like performing an autopsy: you can discern lots of facts about a game that way, but you won't understand what it's like to play, much less if it's any fun.

Thus, to my mind, not only is it possible for genres to be loosely defined, I think it's better that way - better to have a general consensus about major elements without getting hung up on nitty-gritty details. That way, I can describe, e.g., Deus Ex as a "FPS-RPG-adventure" hybrid, then explain what traits it inherited from each genre, without trying to lump it under any one banner. But most importantly, it helps me explain why I think the different pieces of game design coalesce into a darn fun game. If I call God of War "an action game with an RPG-ish character upgrade system" while someone else simply calls it "an action RPG," it doesn't really matter, as long as we're both able to describe the component elements of said game accurately.

To put it another way: genre categories are a good way to begin describing what a game is like, but they are not the final word on the subject.

I also don't think "subject matter" is any less loaded of a method of categorization than "game genre" is. As Tim points out, the debate over fiction categories has raged for centuries; I doubt borrowing their scheme will help us any. :)

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Original Comment by: Slartibartfast

Ferrous:

I agree, I think that genres exist largely as a way to describe a game as succinctly as possible. Of course this means they are innaccurate and incomplete, but it's human nature to classify and arrange everything, that's just how our brains work. The idea of genres is never ever going to go away, the best we can do is remember that describing a game by its genre is like describing a person by their eye color.