PC Gaming is "Super-Healthy," Says Blizzard VP

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PC Gaming is "Super-Healthy," Says Blizzard VP

Rob Pardo of Blizzard [http://www.blizzard.com] says the PC gaming industry is "super healthy" but doesn't always look that way because digital distribution throws everything out of whack.

PC gaming has been in its death throes for years now, yet it shows no signs of actually dying. It's a situation that Pardo, the executive vice president of game design at Blizzard, has come to find a little amusing. "I always laugh because as long as I've been in the games industry, every year I'm asked, 'Is PC gaming dead?'" he told Gamesindustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-10-26-blizzards-rob-pardo?page=1]. "But it keeps on growing despite the fact it's been pronounced dead 20 times."

"The PC games industry and the gaming industry is super healthy. It's always been tough to do metrics in any industry and especially once you start having a lot of digital distribution it's hard to capture the real metrics of the health of the industry," he said. "Even if you look at something like NPD [http://www.npd.com/] there's still an estimation involved there, they don't really have real-time data from every retail chain. By necessity they're guessing. But I think the industry is as healthy as ever."

Blizzard has yet to embrace digital distribution with the same enthusiasm as a company like World of Warcraft [http://www.valvesoftware.com] expansion to get a simultaneous retail and digital release, and he said the same could happen with other Blizzard titles someday.

"I can't say for sure that this is the way for sure that we'll deliver now all future games, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was, either," he said. "Once we get a little closer to Diablo III [http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-III-Pc/dp/B00178630A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288129891&sr=8-1] we'll make a determination. But the day's coming. You can definitely see digital distribution all around the industry, it's becoming a bigger and bigger per cent of the market."

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm comes out on December 7 while Diablo III does not yet have a release date.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
There was doubt?

Shit, I'm not even a PC gamer and buy a decent number of PC games.

Well, anything that Telltale makes, really.

Jul 22, 2009
Crazy digital distribution...

Really pretty much anyone could see this anyway. PC gaming is just dying, it's just easier to slap shovelware FPS titles on to a console and make an instant return. It puts things out of perspective.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Of course it's healthy for the biggest paid mmo developer, lol. But really, I agree pc gaming is far from dead.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Thanks Rob Pardo AKA Captain Obvious. We already knew that, just go to any store and look at the isles and isles of console games but just three shelves on part of an isle for all PC software that's split between a few games, antivirus software, and Microsoft Office style stuff. Then remember that everyone is buying games on services like Steam.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
I'm an occasional PC gaming enthusiast, gaming mostly on consoles, and even I can see that PC gaming is going strong. It's heading in a more persistently online, digitally distributed direction, but its *far* from dead.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Though I do agree with him, seriously...I doubt that he's a particularly objective point of reference what with being at the head of the most popular mainstream PC title in the world and all. :p

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
All I am is a PC gamer, and yeah, people saying it's dead are pretty much just retards. Sure, console games are doing better, because they're more accessible. But that's really all it is. If PC gaming was nearly as accessible, then I think it would easily hit the same numbers. But regardless, it's so far from death, I don't get why anyone would make that assumption.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Dr. Gorgenflex said:
I don't understand why Blizzard is so reluctant to use digital distribution.
So reluctant they offer most of their titles through their online store? What?

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
Doh! When i saw the title i tought they meant "super healthy" as in "good for your health" not industry health.

Any pc gamer knows the medium isn't dead.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Could anyone please tell me why "PC gaming is dead" even came about? Yes I know consoles have been getting a lot of games, but even they are losing their exclusives to each other. Is PS3/360 gaming dying too now? I know PC gamers don't like the idea of getting a port of a game designed for consoles, but just looking at exclusives here, PC gaming has a lot of their own, in addition to their shared games with consoles, as well as the HUGE backwards library that with the use of the internet can be run on current operating systems. Besides, it also owns the MMO genre completely (I'm excluding stuff on consoles where it's matchmaking rather than a large online world).

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Delock said:
Could anyone please tell me why "PC gaming is dead" even came about? Yes I know consoles have been getting a lot of games, but even they are losing their exclusives to each other. Is PS3/360 gaming dying too now? I know PC gamers don't like the idea of getting a port of a game designed for consoles, but just looking at exclusives here, PC gaming has a lot of their own, in addition to their shared games with consoles, as well as the HUGE backwards library that with the use of the internet can be run on current operating systems. Besides, it also owns the MMO genre completely (I'm excluding stuff on consoles where it's matchmaking rather than a large online world).
Ehh, probably because of the console exclusives. Although frankly, PC games never sold as much than console games, so it's a case of people looking at one chart and jumping to conclusions. Although yeah, console exclusives have really dried up lately (ignoring Japanese studios. No Platinum games for PC, which is a crying shame).

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Not disagreeing, Mr. Pardo, but you do have a pretty exclusive vantage point of the rest of the industry :p

skitskat

Apr 14, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
There was doubt?

Shit, I'm not even a PC gamer and buy a decent number of PC games.

Well, anything that Telltale makes, really.
big up the sam and max!

LitleWaffle

Jan 9, 2010
Well of course it isn't dying! Look at how good your company is doing for crying out loud.

Also, Steam.

mmmmm.. Steam...

Edit: Anyone else here at first glance thought it meant PC Gaming is good for you?