Plants vs. Zombies Becomes Shoot-Em-Up on DS

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Plants vs. Zombies Becomes Shoot-Em-Up on DS

The DS version of Plants vs. Zombies will feature mini-games that take the series to new places.

PopCap has released many versions of Plants vs. Zombies [http://www.amazon.com/Plants-Vs-Zombies-Nintendo-DS/dp/B00407F2BQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1288194923&sr=8-2] already, but it's still coming up with new ideas to include in the Nintendo DS version. The game's latest trailer shows off a bunch of new mini-games that will have plants and zombies fighting each other in brand new ways.

The mini-games featured in other versions of Plants vs. Zombies include Whack-a-Zombie, where you have to hammer zombies that pop out of graves, and Portal Combat, which throws portals into the already hectic Plants vs. Zombies mix.

While the Xbox 360 version of Plants vs. Zombies got an exclusive mini-game inspired by Heavy Weapon [http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/Heavy-Weapon/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410810], the DS version will get even more unique games that are mini. The trailer shows off Heat Wave, Homerun Derby, Air Raid, and Bomb All Together.

The most interesting at first glance appear to be Homerun Derby and Air Raid. Homerun Derby brings the action to a baseball field and has a zombies being taken out by pitches. Air Raid looks like an entire game of its own with Plants vs. Zombies-themed characters placed in a side-scrolling shoot-em-up. The footage shows a zombie robot with a censored face throwing zombie heads at a plant-ship trying to take it down with seeds.

With 20 mini-games already available in Plants vs. Zombies, PopCap just keeps adding to the game's mythos. The DS version will also have the 2-player versus mode first seen in the Xbox 360 version, and new achievements, so it'll be more than just a port of previous releases. Plants vs. Zombies will be out on the Nintendo DS in January. Next up, a 3DS version?

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Ah, PvZ...that strange mixture of casual addictiveness and traditional gaming fun.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
AEEUBEURERUERGOABUAGLBALGBLA

WAAARGAARBLEEEE

Okay, I'm done salivating with ecstasy. January 2011? Can't wait, literally. I think I'll freeze myself...

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Nobody mentioned the music on that video? Seriously, that's probably the best 1:24 music bit I've heard all day! *imagines Dave Mustaine singing "you don't want zombies on your lawn..."*

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
Well, that's good and all that, but will the new stuff turn up on PC?

Has the other platform stuff already turned up on the PC?
Hmm, I should probably re-unlock everything and see...*fires up Steam*.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Alright Popcap, I'm sold on this game and I'll buy it as soon as I can. I wonder what some of the other mini-games are on that thing.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
the new minigames look good, but I don't know that I'll get it since I've already played the hell out of it on the PC

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
I'm unsure what it is about this game, but I've never really liked it. Always seems like a standard flash-style game.

Kavic86

May 28, 2010
Ok, when is are update for the PC version that has those in it? Why do we have to buy it again (on a different platform) to get new content? Now if they are going to make a sequel and put all that new stuff in it then awesome but other than that those who already bought it on the PC should be thrown a bone and given the new features and content with out having to buy the game again.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
tomtom94 said:
Ah, PvZ...that strange mixture of casual addictiveness and traditional gaming fun.
Every time someone mentions PvZ, I always think "Protoss vs. Zerg", forgetting that the thread is about Plants vs. Zombies. XD

Kavic86 said:
Ok, when is are update for the PC version that has those in it? Why do we have to buy it again (on a different platform) to get new content? Now if they are going to make a sequel and put all that new stuff in it then awesome but other than that those who already bought it on the PC should be thrown a bone and given the new features and content with out having to buy the game again.
The practice of porting games to other platforms and providing extra features to entice people to purchase the port is hardly anything new. Game companies have been doing it since the dawn of time.

Sadly, it is something you will just have to live with, since I don't expect they will provide an update to any platform they are already supporting (although it would be awesome if they did).

copycatalyst

Nov 10, 2009
I've played my Steam copy enough to finish the campaign twice, complete all mini-games and puzzles, and max out the Tree of Knowledge (before having my save wiped, *sniff*), and I think I still may need to get this for some mobile PvZ action.

Tom Phoenix said:
Sadly, it is something you will just have to live with, since I don't expect they will provide an update to any platform they are already supporting (although it would be awesome if they did).
We might be so lucky, as they did automatically update to the GotY Edition. Granted that was pretty much just a skin change for the Michael Jackson zombie, a zombatar creator, and new achievements, but still... it was nice that it was updated. I do like the custom zombatar appearing as the standard-bearer for each big wave.